Considering ditching my Moabs for 15" wheels...

Okay, in the process of upgrading to 285s, I noticed that Goodyear does not make the Duratrac in a 285 in load range C, they ONLY offer it in an E load range.

This got me thinking, will I regret a load range E tire?

If so, maybe what I need to do is get rid of my beloved Moabs and switch to a 15" wheel, which I can then pair with a 33x12.5r15 Goodyear Duratrac, which is a load range C.

I was thinking of pairing them with these Walker Evans 501 wheels in bronze:

View attachment 38508

My thought is that those might look good being as though my Jeep is Khaki. What do you think?

These have a backspacing of 3.779", plus the addition of the 12.5" wide tires, so about how much do you guys think it would stick out past the 4.25" factory Rubicon flares (remember, Rubicon flares are 1" wider than non-Rubicon flares).
Nice looking wheels! They look to be a good fit for the khaki color. I would love to see some pictures if you pull the trigger on them. I'm leaning towards black whenever I decide to change my wheels but after seeing these... I really like them!

Reactions: Chris
I really do love the Moab wheels. Simple and elegant!
Agree !
Refinish them as you like. Lots of options.
A little sidetrack here .... apologies.
A lot of R/D went into the design of vehicles. Lots of money spent. For the most part, the factory tries to produce a product that is pleasing to the eye and will give good service for a reasonable time frame.
Personally .... I like to modify an existing part (where possible) to better work for my application.
Example would be the OEM front bumper on the TJ's .... adequate for 95% of the time.

As most folks do .... remove the plastic ends, perhaps paint ..... etc.
Many folks like remove a serviceable OEM part, and replace with an aftermarket part that just hasn't had the R/D time invested.
This isn't wrong, and this isn't a critique of the part or person who owns the said vehicle.
Just an observation .....
Again Chris, you've got a great project going there .....

Mine do also at complete full lock on the driver side when I turn driver. Rarely happens, and I only did it once.

My 285/75r16 Maxxis Buckshots didnt, but when I added the Duratracs I had to add a steering spacer to both sides. The sidewalls are way more aggressive than the Maxxis I had. Since changing up the suspension on mine I did finally add a set of 1.25 Spidertrax to get my wheels out a bit more, and this allowed me to remove the steering stop washers.

I just never for the life of me remembering my old 285 Duratracs on the black TJ riding rough at all. I remember liking the way it rode a lot.

My km2's are E rated. I also like the way it rides and for the life of me don't get the "only C rated tire" statements.

Plus, 15" rims with balloon tires are so 1980. ;)

My km2's are E rated. I also like the way it rides and for the life of me don't get the "only C rated tire" statements.

Plus, 15" rims with balloon tires are so 1980. ;)

Yeah, I hear you. I don't recall my old E load range tires ever riding that bad. I put about 28 psi in them and never thought it rode rough at all. I am one of those people that prefer a slightly firmer ride though as oppose to a super soft ride.

You're right on the balloon tires too! I know a lot of Jeep owners prefer the super wide tire look, but I actually like them taller and narrower. I've found they perform better on-road with the narrower tires as well, particularly in the rain and packed snow.

Yeah, I hear you. I don't recall my old E load range tires ever riding that bad. I put about 28 psi in them and never thought it rode rough at all. I am one of those people that prefer a slightly firmer ride though as oppose to a super soft ride.

You're right on the balloon tires too! I know a lot of Jeep owners prefer the super wide tire look, but I actually like them taller and narrower. I've found they perform better on-road with the narrower tires as well, particularly in the rain and packed snow.

I just replaced my 33x10.5 inch tires with 35x12.5. Road manners were better on the 10.5. The 12.5 seem to want to pull more this could be because of my driveway alignment though. :)

Reactions: Starrs
I just replaced my 33x10.5 inch tires with 35x12.5. Road manners were better on the 10.5. The 12.5 seem to want to pull more this could be because of my driveway alignment though. :)

Some of it may have to do with alignment, yes. However, a 10.5" wide tire will definitely have better road manners than a 12.5" wide tire, no doubt about that. With these Jeeps everything really is a compromise.

B4C7FAD3-5648-4F50-9EC9-3D04DCE0F5A4.jpeg

I agree with most comments about the Moab wheels but I absolutely hated my duratrac tires. Granted they were very worn when I bought them but they were the noisiest tire I’ve ever had in any vehicle. I replaced them with new Dick Cepek Extreme Terrain tires and it was a huge upgrade for in road driving. They were load range E and they didn’t bother me at all. On the Rubicon trail I ran them at 10psi and they flexed well for rock crawling. I know it’s not fair to compare old and new but I’m the exception in this thread with a dislike for the duratrac.

After two trips out in the Rubicon and Fordyce my Moab wheels were trashed. They are not a good choice if you ever plan to venture into the rocks even once. Even if you don’t care about scratches the valve stems are way too vulnerable. I tore off a valve stem rendering that tire useless. It could easily happen twice leaving you stranded. The only good thing is the E rated tires could probably be run flat.

I’m now running 17” Raceline monster beadlocks custom powder coated in silver matching the badging on my dark blue Jeep with dark grey hammer finish rock rings (easy to touch up). I’ve received lots of compliments. I can’t run a 15s over my Black Magic big brake kit. I’d rather have good safe brakes than anything else. I used them while on the freeway when a semi cut me off while I had my kids in my Jeep.

I actually have 4 sets of wheels and tires right now. For my needs the BFG mud terrains are just fine. I have a set of pro comp 33s on perfect 16” Moab wheels but they rub and don’t look as good as the Racelines so I don’t bother swapping between. I don’t prefer any of the other setups either.

When I go to 37” tires after changing my rear to a Dana 60 I may consider a Nitto tire but this setup is heavily biased for off road vs on road. We ran Nittos on the Ultra 4 car at King of Hammmers, Nitto was good to us.

On my LJ I currently have 265/75R16 duratrac mounted on rubicon Moabs with a 2" BB and it works. Some rub on LCA at full lock, but nothing a washer on the steering stop didn't fit. I have a RK 3.5" lift kit sitting in the garage waiting on nice weather (if someone sees springtime - tell her to come to Iowa). I find myself in the same place - looking at 15 and 16 inch tires (have a set of ravines in the shed) and somewhere around 33" in what I call an aggressive all terrain. sizes are pretty limited; for 15" it's 33x10.5R15 or 33x12.5R15; in 16" its 255/85R16 or 285/75R16. I also would prefer a narrower tire.

Based on this - I'm considering 255/85R16 tires. The problem is not many companies make them, and they all seem to be load range E.

That being said - I'm seriously considering the Mastercraft Courser CXT or the Cooper ST Maxx. Very similar tires (Mastercraft is made by Cooper) and both available in 255/85R16. The CXT is a 2 ply sidewall and slightly lighter weight, whereas the ST-Maxx is a 3ply armorek sidewall with armortek (whatever that is) and of course heavier. Both seem to have good reviews. Wish they made the STT Pro in 255/85R16 - that's a nice looking tire.

If you are willing to run an MT; the KM2 has a 255/85R16. The KM3 that is coming out in a couple months may as well (they haven't annouced sizes yet).

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I am running the Duratrac 285 on my Moab’s at 26 psi. I also have the Rancho 9000x set on the softest settings. No complaints on the ride.
From a looks standpoint I think it’s the perfect tire.

Anyone have an extra 16” x 8” Moab rim for sale? I lunched one and am needing a spare.

I’ve run Michelin 265 16 at tires load range E with a very nice ride profile. Not gear in mud but crawled all over Moab with them.

I am running the Duratrac 285 on my Moab’s at 26 psi. I also have the Rancho 9000x set on the softest settings. No complaints on the ride.
From a looks standpoint I think it’s the perfect tire.

I agree. I like how the 285s are taller and narrower. I think they look really darn good on a factory Moab wheel. I ordered a set of 285 Duratracs for my factory Moab wheels and I'll be getting them installed Wednesday! So I am keeping the Moabs after all.

View attachment 38664
After two trips out in the Rubicon and Fordyce my Moab wheels were trashed. They are not a good choice if you ever plan to venture into the rocks even once. Even if you don’t care about scratches the valve stems are way too vulnerable. I tore off a valve stem rendering that tire useless. It could easily happen twice leaving you stranded. The only good thing is the E rated tires could probably be run flat.

Fortunately I don't really plan on doing any rocks, we mostly just use it as an overland / exploring type of vehicle. But what you're saying makes complete sense!

On my LJ I currently have 265/75R16 duratrac mounted on rubicon Moabs with a 2" BB and it works. Some rub on LCA at full lock, but nothing a washer on the steering stop didn't fit. I have a RK 3.5" lift kit sitting in the garage waiting on nice weather (if someone sees springtime - tell her to come to Iowa). I find myself in the same place - looking at 15 and 16 inch tires (have a set of ravines in the shed) and somewhere around 33" in what I call an aggressive all terrain. sizes are pretty limited; for 15" it's 33x10.5R15 or 33x12.5R15; in 16" its 255/85R16 or 285/75R16. I also would prefer a narrower tire.

Based on this - I'm considering 255/85R16 tires. The problem is not many companies make them, and they all seem to be load range E.

That being said - I'm seriously considering the Mastercraft Courser CXT or the Cooper ST Maxx. Very similar tires (Mastercraft is made by Cooper) and both available in 255/85R16. The CXT is a 2 ply sidewall and slightly lighter weight, whereas the ST-Maxx is a 3ply armorek sidewall with armortek (whatever that is) and of course heavier. Both seem to have good reviews. Wish they made the STT Pro in 255/85R16 - that's a nice looking tire.

If you are willing to run an MT; the KM2 has a 255/85R16. The KM3 that is coming out in a couple months may as well (they haven't annouced sizes yet).

I was in the same boat when I started hunting new tires, and really liked the "pizza cutter " style of the 255/85s, just not enough selection in that size, and I was worried it wouldn't work with the 3 inch lift I had previously. Might still consider it if the KM3 has the size down the road, if I can ever get enough miles on the Duratracs I have now.