Craftsman Wrenches

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Figured I'd share my experience with sears, their crazy points loyalty system and how it worked out to a pretty good deal with a little bit of patience.

I use a 160ish part Craftsman socket set regularly and wanted to expand my tool collection, since it included a few Craftsman Wrenches, I figured I'd stay on brand.

First purchase, a set of 20 ratcheting wrenches. Paid $60 bucks for the set and got $50 in "shopyourway" points for a future purchase.
https://m.sears.com/craftsman-20-piece-ratcheting-wrench-set-inch-metric/p-00946820000P

Found out after I purchased it I got half the $50 in points immediately and half a month later. I guess they wanted to retain me as a customer.

Made my second purchase, a 26 piece set of metric wrenches, sears was offering an additional $15 worth of points so combined with $25 worth of points, arrived at my door step completely free.
https://www.sears.com/kd-tools-carbide-coated-cutter-file/p-00999914000P

Patiently waited a month, got my $25 worth of points activated. Picked up the same set but in inch format. Sears was again offering $10 worth of points so was out of pocket $15.
https://m.sears.com/craftsman-26pc-inch-combination-wrench-set/p-00999913000P

Total out of pocket was $75 and now have over 70 matching wrenches .

Moral of the post, sears has weird marketing gimmicks but feel I made out pretty good buying tools that matched what I already have (I know they aren't American made anymore).

Good luck to anyone interested

Awesome deal... I've been looking for an excuse to buy impact sockets.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Figured I'd share my experience with sears, their crazy points loyalty system and how it worked out to a pretty good deal with a little bit of patience.

I use a 160ish part Craftsman socket set regularly and wanted to expand my tool collection, since it included a few Craftsman Wrenches, I figured I'd stay on brand.

First purchase, a set of 20 ratcheting wrenches. Paid $60 bucks for the set and got $50 in "shopyourway" points for a future purchase.
https://m.sears.com/craftsman-20-piece-ratcheting-wrench-set-inch-metric/p-00946820000P

Found out after I purchased it I got half the $50 in points immediately and half a month later. I guess they wanted to retain me as a customer.

Made my second purchase, a 26 piece set of metric wrenches, sears was offering an additional $15 worth of points so combined with $25 worth of points, arrived at my door step completely free.
https://www.sears.com/kd-tools-carbide-coated-cutter-file/p-00999914000P

Patiently waited a month, got my $25 worth of points activated. Picked up the same set but in inch format. Sears was again offering $10 worth of points so was out of pocket $15.
https://m.sears.com/craftsman-26pc-inch-combination-wrench-set/p-00999913000P

Total out of pocket was $75 and now have over 70 matching wrenches .

Moral of the post, sears has weird marketing gimmicks but feel I made out pretty good buying tools that matched what I already have (I know they aren't American made anymore).

Good luck to anyone interested
Now if Sears can just stay solvent long enough to be able to wait it out and collect those points. Every month is crucial for Sears these days...

Hopefully they last 24/hrs. I get $25 and an additional $10 coupon. Now I'm thinking about getting a socket set to throw in the back of the jeep. Would be more organized then my current system of just throwing a bunch of sockets in a bag.

Looks like they have to pay a 134 million debt by the 15th so should be good for at least 10 more days. Stock price is $0.73 a share :eek: quite the drop from 130+ back in 2007

Hopefully they last 24/hrs. I get $25 and an additional $10 coupon. Now I'm thinking about getting a socket set to throw in the back of the jeep. Would be more organized then my current system of just throwing a bunch of sockets in a bag.

Looks like they have to pay a 134 million debt by the 15th so should be good for at least 10 more days. Stock price is $0.73 a share :eek: quite the drop from 130+ back in 2007
The end of an era...

Reactions: Equilibrium31
The end of an era...

That's true, I went into a Sears not long after to pick up a few things and it was a ghost town. At least the Craftsman brand will live on at Lowe's. They've sold all their valuable brands for pennies on the dollar just to stay afloat this long.

Reactions: Squatch
Very good deal!!! I'm lucky my wife works for Lowe's and they now carry the Craftsman line. We get 10% off all the time because she is an employee, but in the month of December all the employees family get 20% for one week on any item in the store plus 6 months same as cash at 0%. I'm going to purchase the 52 inch tool chest/cabinet combo in December. Should only run me a total of $700.

Brick and mortar stores are a dying breed. Its unfortunate. My wife is in retail and we see it a lot. The internet is killing them all
Very true. Although, Best Buy is one of the few brick and mortars to be thriving. I believe there is a niche that Best Buy is riding in, which is the hybrid of online and in store shopping with a strong focus on customer service.

It seems like most brick and mortars have failed when they either ignore online sales or simply try too hard to switch over to online, only to get smashed by Amazon.

Still, it's a very strange time for retail overall. As much as I love the convenience of Amazon, it's sad to see companies like Sears disappear. They've certainly made a lot of mistakes, but I loved their focus on quality tools.

Very true. Although, Best Buy is one of the few brick and mortars to be thriving. I believe there is a niche that Best Buy is riding in, which is the hybrid of online and in store shopping with a strong focus on customer service.

It seems like most brick and mortars have failed when they either ignore online sales or simply try too hard to switch over to online, only to get smashed by Amazon.

Still, it's a very strange time for retail overall. As much as I love the convenience of Amazon, it's sad to see companies like Sears disappear. They've certainly made a lot of mistakes, but I loved their focus on quality tools.

My wife worked for Sports Authority at their Corporate Headquarters. They essentially went bankrupt because they had a store on every corner coupled with the fact that they could not compete with online sales. Roughly 10k people (nationwide) lost their job when the doors were closed. Over 1k at HQ.

Lo & behold Denver is now in the running for Amazon's HQ...

My wife worked for Sports Authority at their Corporate Headquarters. They essentially went bankrupt because they had a store on every corner coupled with the fact that they could not compete with online sales. Roughly 10k people (nationwide) lost their job when the doors were closed. Over 1k at HQ.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

I remember when the Sports Authorities around here went out of business. Very sad sight.

My cousins husband worked at one of the stores. I also celebrated my 18th birthday there by buying my first gun a Remington 870 super mag. After years of the building being vacant it finally became a used car dealer for enterprise rental cars.

My cousins husband worked at one of the stores. I also celebrated my 18th birthday there by buying my first gun a Remington 870 super mag. After years of the building being vacant it finally became a used car dealer for enterprise rental cars.

The two HQ buildings in Englewood were turned into public storage facilities. They were damn nice before hand, lots of innovation within. My wife cringes everytime we drive by it.

Of course, pertinent to the original thread, Harbor Freight is doing ok as far as I know. Hard to tell with their constant "clearance" and "liquidation" sales. They are a hybrid on line and brick sales. 4 locations in San Diego County, so pretty good coverage. Their hand tools are now warrantied for life, same as the best. Walk in with a broken tool, no receipt, walk out with a new tool. I'm not a pro mechanic, no Snap On in my box, but I like their wrenches and sockets just fine. Talk about aggressive marketing, though. Who else does 20% off plus free?

Yep, I remember the excitement the Sears wish book would bring before Christmas while we were stationed overseas. It’s really the demise of a certain way of life.
Yet another thing that our kids will never experience. Man, us kids would just pour over those catalogs at Christmas time!

Of course, pertinent to the original thread, Harbor Freight is doing ok as far as I know. Hard to tell with their constant "clearance" and "liquidation" sales. They are a hybrid on line and brick sales. 4 locations in San Diego County, so pretty good coverage. Their hand tools are now warrantied for life, same as the best. Walk in with a broken tool, no receipt, walk out with a new tool. I'm not a pro mechanic, no Snap On in my box, but I like their wrenches and sockets just fine. Talk about aggressive marketing, though. Who else does 20% off plus free?
Of all the brick and mortar stores, the one I miss the most is Blockbuster Video. Silly, I suppose, but I loved going through all the movies.

Of all the brick and mortar stores, the one I miss the most is Blockbuster Video. Silly, I suppose, but I loved going through all the movies.
Oh yea, same here. I saw the trailer for the new Captain Marvel movie and their clever use of a Blockbuster Video to show the setting in time of a scene was great, even if it did give me a sad pang of nostalgia.

Time to move to bend Oregon. Blockbuster still lives on. https://www.yelp.com/biz/blockbuster-bend-3

Yet another thing that our kids will never experience. Man, us kids would just pour over those catalogs at Christmas time!
Can't say I ever drooled over the sears catalog as a child. But my brother and I would always be excited for the ToysRus catalog to come in so we could circle everything we wanted. That's something of my childhood that my children will miss out on. Maybe they will just add what they want to the amazon cart? Unless it disappears too :eek:

I dont think Sears' CEO has any intention of seeing the company survive. Eddie transferred the RE assets a long time ago (to his own hedge fund), is selling off the name brands (Craftsmen was already sold to Stanley) and has the company positioned for BK within 12 to 18 months.

I read somewhere recently that there are more retirees drawing pensions from Sears than there are current employees drawing paychecks. The company really has no choice but to go file BK. Eddie's hedge fund will do quite well with the real estate holdings.