D-Ring or Tow Hooks?

If you mounted them on the rear bumper would they be "stern shackles"?
Bow with a long o representative of the bow in a horseshoe. Not bow as in the bow of a boat. But, given the mud I've seen some folks stuck in, they could have been used as anchor shackles, fore and aft.

This doesn't surprise me. My thought was that if enough people are referring to these things incorrectly all over the internet, it's only a matter of time before the manufacturers start focusing their SEO on those incorrect terms (to get as many buyers as possible), and before you know it, everyone out there is simply using the wrong term to describe it.

Hell, I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that if I went out with my local Jeep club to hit the trails and asked someone if they had a spare "bow shackle", they'd all look at me confused and ask me what that is. I may start doing that from now on just to mess with people. :D

Corruption of correct terminology drives me batshit especially when I'm searching for an accurate source to relay the information. One of the worst is hygroscopic meaning a substance absorbs water typically used relative to brake fluid. A discussion came up and a self esteemed smart feller trying to sound like he knew something used the term "hydroscopic" which doesn't exist. The closest term is hydroscope which is a bucket with a glass bottom used for looking under water's surface. I explained it and he said he worked in a lab with a lot of scientific folks and they used hydroscopic so that made it accurate. It didn't matter how many times or different ways I explained it, he was insistent he was correct. Oddly, there was a lot of folks using it the same way on the 'net so it made weeding through the crap a lot harder to do than it needed to be.

Another that I've checked over the years that has fallen into a complete state of corruption is weldor. Weldor is the person that uses a welder or some welding process to join metal together.

Another that I've checked over the years that has fallen into a complete state of corruption is weldor. Weldor is the person that uses a welder or some welding process to join metal together.

I learned something new. I never knew what you called a person who welded. I figure it couldn't be "welder", since that's the term for the "welder" itself. Now I know!

Bow with a long o representative of the bow in a horseshoe. Not bow as in the bow of a boat. But, given the mud I've seen some folks stuck in, they could have been used as anchor shackles, fore and aft.
I plead too many years of Navy brainwashing. I suppose I earned that stern admonition and I bow to your superior language skills. My wife says that playing with words is pun of my biggest failings...

If you have some that aren't too rusty, there are a series of dots around the edge on top in a particular pattern. That will tell you the grade or class.

Given that they are a button head alloy cap screw in Torx drive, they are easily stronger than grade 8 or about 180,000 psi and a grade 8 is typically 150,000 psi.
Where can I find a cipher for these patterns? Mine have four indentations on one side

Reactions: Chris
Where can I find a cipher for these patterns? Mine have four indentations on one side
I found that chart many years ago and have since lost it. This will help. It has a whole bunch of fastener info but the last paragraph is the most relevant. The stock TJ tow hooks are held in place from the factory with 2 socket head button cap screws and the last paragraph tells what you need to know about them.

I found that chart many years ago and have since lost it. This will help. It has a whole bunch of fastener info but the last paragraph is the most relevant. The stock TJ tow hooks are held in place from the factory with 2 socket head button cap screws and the last paragraph tells what you need to know about them.
What paragraph?

Reactions: JMT and Chris
...hygroscopic ...
That's a good one! I assumed it might be similar to hydrophilic (possibly the word the other guy in your story was thinking?). I had to look it up. Turns out while hygroscopic means absorbs water, as you said, hydrophilic implies bonding to water at a molecular level.