Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I've been away from home for over 3 weeks. The Jeep battery was dead when I tried to start it this morning. I left a phone plugged in which was enough. I put a charger on and finally got it started.

I'm driving around now and see that the tach isn't working. On startup, the needle lifts a bit, but stops just below 0.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Remind me how to do the diagnostic test. This all happened in the last 15 minutes. Still out running errands.

Remind me how to do the diagnostic test. This all happened in the last 15 minutes. Still out running errands.

Pound on the dash like an ape trying to open Samsonite luggage. Corroded connection due to sitting and moisture build up. Don't break the dash though. That's counter productive.

Apparently it sometimes happens when messing with the battery. The tach needle will do a full spin and get stuck on the wrong side of the pin.

The answer is to pull the face off of the cluster and move the needle counter clockwise back to where it belongs.

Guess I'll be learning how to take the instrument cluster apart.

Reactions: Thunderhead and JMT
Pulled the cluster out and flipped the tach needle back to where it should be. It works again. Found three pencils and a plastic fork.

I also installed an under hood trickle charger so I can keep the battery fresh while I'm traveling for work. This was easier right now than moving a couple added problem accessories over to switched power.

Still need to fix the leaky York air line...

Reactions: JMT and Thunderhead
Pulled the cluster out and flipped the tach needle back to where it should be. It works again. Found three pencils and a plastic fork.

I also installed an under hood trickle charger so I can keep the battery fresh while I'm traveling for work. This was easier right now than moving a couple added problem accessories over to switched power.

Still need to fix the leaky York air line...

:meparto: The po of mine must have emptied an entire bag of sunflower seeds in the dash. They dumped out all over when I installed the new stereo and amp. Must have also been a bowhunter because I found a busted off piece of carbon arrow under the carpet/seat bracket.

Reactions: Thunderhead
The weirdest thing I ever found in the Jeep was a tooth (not human) while washing out the frame.

Knowing myself, I am mildly concerned that I will drive away without unplugging the trickle charger.

Is there such a thing as an adapter for an extension cord that is similar to the magnetic power connector on MacBooks? Basically a magnetic quick release plug. I think some deep fat fryers have them.

Knowing myself, I am mildly concerned that I will drive away without unplugging the trickle charger.

Is there such a thing as an adapter for an extension cord that is similar to the magnetic power connector on MacBooks? Basically a magnetic quick release plug. I think some deep fat fryers have them.
i havent seen one but that is a great idea. I have my on a retractable key reel so it is always within reach of where it parks

Years ago, I built a YJ pretty stout and wheeled like that up in WA. I would wheel it on the weekend break it and fix/upgrade it during the week and head back out on the weekend.

There was little left that was Jeep when I was finished. Now fast forward and I have to tell you, I really enjoyed all of the pictures and the hard work you shared with us. Now I like to go beat up my quads and go fishing and wash and wax my Jeep, so in no way am I going to do anything that hard core anymore, I sure liked reading your story though.

Colorado is so much more beautiful than Arizona. Unless you like beige and dust then Arizona is your spot.

Thanks again for the awesome build thread. I can't wait to read more.

Years ago, I built a YJ pretty stout and wheeled like that up in WA. I would wheel it on the weekend break it and fix/upgrade it during the week and head back out on the weekend.

There was little left that was Jeep when I was finished. Now fast forward and I have to tell you, I really enjoyed all of the pictures and the hard work you shared with us. Now I like to go beat up my quads and go fishing and wash and wax my Jeep, so in no way am I going to do anything that hard core anymore, I sure liked reading your story though.

Colorado is so much more beautiful than Arizona. Unless you like beige and dust then Arizona is your spot.

Thanks again for the awesome build thread. I can't wait to read more.

Thanks! It's been a wonderful learning experience.

These things were barely modern when they were new, but who wishes their TJ looked older and more primitive than it really is?

Reactions: Squatch
These things were barely modern when they were new, but who wishes their TJ looked older and more primitive than it really is?
For me, I absolutely hate the dash. The YJ dash was much more tolerable, and I'd take a CJ over any of them. If it was even feasible to change my TJ's dash to a YJ's dash, I'd be all over it. I've not looked into it......yet.

Reactions: ac_
For me, I absolutely hate the dash. The YJ dash was much more tolerable, and I'd take a CJ over any of them. If it was even feasible to change my TJ's dash to a YJ's dash, I'd be all over it. I've not looked into it......yet.
You know I bet you could actually put a CJ dash in your tj. I am with you way more cooler looking, but I bought the TJ over a YJ or CJ because I have to have A/C. My old YJ had AC but it was a box that hung under the dash and cooled off the knees. It was not very useful to be honest.

I agree there is not much you can do with a TJ Dash, but the AC is far better than anything else previously. On my previous YJ I did make a pretty cool Dash/Switch panel that was pretty custom and cool looking. And since it had front and rear ARB's and a winch it had some pretty cool lit up switches and warning lights.

I did custom make my switch panel on my TJ. I took out the ash tray(right) and added another factory switch panel in its place. Tell me what you think:
20171119_224412.jpg

The "Plan B" switch is the inside winch switch, and the red and black buttons are for "in" and "out." The toggle on the center console is for my dual batteries. Also you can barely see it but there is a dual USB charger on the other side of the TC shift knob that also has a volt meter for my second battery. The meter you can see is for the first battery and temp.

I know it is not as cool as the CJ, but it is still pretty cool. The two blanks will be for on board air, and lockers some day.