Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

To continue with added storage in the Jeep, I have liked some of the ammo can center consoles people have done. To continue with the audio improvements, I needed a place to hide a slightly larger sub that wouldn't impact what little space there is in a Wrangler.

This is how I made a ammo can center console with a sub enclosure. This will trouble a few audiophiles.
30mm Ammo Can Center Console with 8" Sub Enclosure

Plywood and masonite enclosure for a Polk dbdb840 8-Inch Subwoofer.
View attachment 34860

It goes in here.
View attachment 34861

And makes noise out of here.
View attachment 34863

The console fits here.
View attachment 34862

Lift struts and a light for the lid.
View attachment 34864

Fully installed.
View attachment 34865

The sub doesn't rattle and to my ears sounds perfectly fine.

The height of the ammo can is the perfect height for shifting. And the larger lid is far more comfortable arm rest than the factory console. Even with the sub, there is about 3-4 times more room inside the can.

I don't care for my cup holder. I'll make it better soon.
This is perfect. I currently have 2 10” jl subs in a custom box that fits behind the rear seat. Dis this 10 years ago. Time to get the space back. 👍🏼

Reactions: jjvw
This is perfect. I currently have 2 10” jl subs in a custom box that fits behind the rear seat. Dis this 10 years ago. Time to get the space back. 👍🏼

Hopefully you are good with a table saw. The sub enclosure needs to be a snug fit inside the ammo can or else it will rattle and vibrate.

Reactions: ScottCO
Parts are still coming in. I pulled a York 210 out of a 1978 Ford Fairmont.
20200903_153002.jpg
20200903_152826.jpg

On this one, I'll be adding two very important things the other one didn't have. An oil level sight glass and an easy to access oil fill tube. Maybe a drain plug as well. I need to look closer at the bracket that I use.

I just thought you had an air leak, was that an unrelated issue?

Unrelated. That was a long term temporary repair on the plumbing that I fixed again, but should do a better job on. The reason for the new pump is that I was using the York at work last week and it seized after a long blow. That is the reason I want to know where the oil level is.

Reactions: rasband
wow, that old ford looks like it was parked there last wk...........i don't think you could find a 1978 anything in the rust belt anywhere near that condition.

Reactions: jjvw
wow, that old ford looks like it was parked there last wk...........i don't think you could find a 1978 anything in the rust belt anywhere near that condition.

I forget how unusual it is to see the amount of 20-30+ year old cars still on the road out here. And how clean they are!

Reactions: someguysjeep
i KO'd my AC, was gonna leave it in for a mod like this later (maybe). the sys was emptied and i just cut and capped the hoses on top the engine for now.
would you think i need to put some oil down into it while it's dormant?

i KO'd my AC, was gonna leave it in for a mod like this later (maybe). the sys was emptied and i just cut and capped the hoses on top the engine for now.
would you think i need to put some oil down into it while it's dormant?

Couldn't hurt. @tworley knows more about the Sanden compressors than I do.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Where is the sight glass in relation to your ports? Will it be easy to glance at when everything is installed?

On a stock Jeep without a York, the glass would be on the passenger side of the alternator. It should be a fairly clear view to see if the bulb has oil in it.

On a stock Jeep without a York, the glass would be on the passenger side of the alternator. It should be a fairly clear view to see if the bulb has oil in it.
Will you be able to keep the factory ac with the York?