Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I'm thinking the spare tire support eliminated another small rattle.

As good as the Exogate is, it's biggest flaw is that is has only one attachment point on the driver's side. The factory latch. When the lower snubber is extended to stop the tire from bouncing, it is really easy to have the bottom of the gate get pushed out. And that still won't remove all of the movement.

With the just the support and no snubber, the gate sits flat in the body again. And there is no movement.

I will put the snubber back in soon after I get a shorter bolt and can play with the extension to get it just long enough without pushing the gate out.
I don’t have an exogate but same issue with the bottom of the gate pushing out. I removed some snubber to where it still contacts the tire but doesn’t push the bottom out as much. But now I hear the gate rattle over bumps. Maybe I’ll rig something up like this after I do my frame raise

Reactions: jjvw
Quick question about your rear bumper: what's the measurement from the edge of the hitch receiver to the tub?

No more than 2.5" from the tub.
20190824_220007.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and Tob
I don’t have an exogate but same issue with the bottom of the gate pushing out. I removed some snubber to where it still contacts the tire but doesn’t push the bottom out as much. But now I hear the gate rattle over bumps. Maybe I’ll rig something up like this after I do my frame raise
It's a good idea. Mine is adjustable to account for tire wear, or a slightly different sized 35" tire in the future. It is ramped so that the tire slides up onto the support about 1/4". Enough so it barely sticks when I open the gate.

That's the tightest measurement I've ever seen, with a receiver hitch. Functional and maintains an optimized departure angle. Nice work!
Thank Blaine for the idea. On an LJ hitch can go flush with the bumper plate and the pin goes behind the crossmember.

My LoD tire carrier bumper is right at 7” to the hitch 🤦‍♂️. Wish I would’ve done exogate/morryde and a crossmember bumper! I’ll replace it sooner or later, looks like there is much more departure clearance to be had.

Shimano jeep parts. I have some spare rapid shifters. Wonder if I could mount one of those and get 7 speeds? :)

67k sounds great with the rep of them being a weak spot and what you've put those through.

what'd you replace them with? my axle is reputed to be killin joints every 5k if i don't buy 600$ dynatracs.
I traded Spicer for Spicer. The factory set I replaced lasted 100k, but those may have been in worse shape than these last set were in. I suspect I should start looking at replacing ball joints around 50k.

Last edited:
What was the steering like with bad BJs?
Back to this. I was noticing a lot of corrections needed to go straight, a new intermittent shake, and the return of the pull to the driver's side. New ball joints took most of that away.

Also, back when I put the big brakes on a couple months ago I saw that the BJs were showing their age.

Yesterday and today I often found myself at 80mph without realizing it.

I'm considering putting the Fox damper back in to see if it was doing what I thought it was doing. But first, I want to add a bit of caster.

Back to this. I was noticing a lot of corrections needed to go straight, a new intermittent shake, and the return of the pull to the driver's side. New ball joints took most of that away.

Also, back when I put the big brakes on a couple months ago I saw that the BJs were showing their age.

Yesterday and today I often found myself at 80mph without realizing it.

I'm considering putting the Fox damper back in to see if it was doing what I thought it was doing. But first, I want to add a bit of caster.
Thanks for this. Ive been following this thread so keep us posted👍

Thanks for this. Ive been following this thread so keep us posted👍
The Fox is back in. The push is less now that the ball joints are new. Driving is absolutely better with the Fox. I still want to add a bit of caster in the hope that doing so will further diminish the push. Meaning that the jury is still out.

Reactions: D M and rasband
We had our first big outing of the year with a large group at Chinaman Gulch. A bunch of us had the great pleasure of meeting @mvigo, who was visiting from California. Pics are here...

Post in thread 'April Phoolz Buena Vista April 3, 2021' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/april-phoolz-buena-vista-april-3-2021.47688/post-847920

20210403_152327.jpg
A80EC63E-06E4-4D03-AB93-CB1ED987554B.jpeg

20210403_110821.jpg

This was the first shake down run after the Swayloc, front stretch, front shocks and the full retune. I am both pleased and a little surprised to report that everything worked well.

The only meaningful tire rub is on the Swayloc with a small amount on the battery bump out and the upper spring seats.

I did notice the improved approach, though I still managed to scrape the bumper several times. That's fine.

The Swayloc in the soft mode seems comparable to where I had the Antirock.

The best thing is what the shocks are doing on the trail. Speeds are a bit faster, because it is easy and comfortable to do so. Moving through an obstacle feels noticably more controlled with less jarring side to side movements. I don't know if I could tell that the fronts are an inch longer, though based on the zip ties I have on the shock shafts, I did use all 6" of up on all four corners. While the added inch of 12s is nice to have, I can't say it is a game changer. The tune really overshadows everything else just as it does on the road.

Last edited:
And I got to try out the set of Coyote tire deflators I bought about a month ago.
https://www.coyoteents.com/product/coyote-automatic-tire-deflator-4-56-psi/
I think I like them more than the Currie Deflator. The Coyotes are slower. But I'm not spending that time crouched checking pressure. I asked for 8psi and after the short drive from the meeting place to the trail head, the psi on all four tires was within a half pound. I think I refine the psi setting to get closer to 8psi. Someday I'll take the time to do that.

Reactions: D M
And I got to try out the set of Coyote tire deflators I bought about a month ago.
https://www.coyoteents.com/product/coyote-automatic-tire-deflator-4-56-psi/
I think I like them more than the Currie Deflator. The Coyotes are slower. But I'm not spending that time crouched checking pressure. I asked for 8psi and after the short drive from the meeting place to the trail head, the psi on all four tires was within a half pound. I think I refine the psi setting to get closer to 8psi. Someday I'll take the time to do that.

I don’t know if you timed it, but I’ve read that by time you get all 4 on and off you’re roughly at the same time as if you had used the currie. Did you gauge it by any metrics?