Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Because I don't want to get drug into court somewhere because I said, "Do this, it'll be fine!" I have a small boat...I don't always use my truck to tow it
Okay, I see. Well, I do what I want, you can't stop me!!

I'd rather tow a small trailer with one of those welded on hitches before I'd want to add one of those racks full of all kinds of camping gear and a cooler on the back bouncing up and down.

Example
View attachment 349903

View attachment 349904

I agree with this - the direction of the load will be much stronger I'd think than the torque that will apply, plus if all 1,000lbs of the trailer end up on the hitch I am probably falling off a cliff already

Reactions: Mike_H
Okay, I see. Well, I do what I want, you can't stop me!!

I agree with this - the direction of the load will be much stronger I'd think than the torque that will apply, plus if all 1,000lbs of the trailer end up on the hitch I am probably falling off a cliff already

Generally you load for 10% tongue weight so 100 lbs on the hitch.

And I'm not recommending you pull a trailer. I'm pointing out that I know you wanted more cargo capacity and a small trailer is probably a better idea than one of those receiver hitch baskets.

Reactions: lBasket
I don't know that I'd tow with it. I installed it mainly for a recovery point and a place to install my bike rack. Because its so tucked up under the tire (I still carry it "on" the tailgate) you'd need a really long hitch. I need an extension for my bike rack.

I also installed a few extra bolts...

View attachment 349902

I feel like using it as a recovery point would be higher stress than towing.

• Love
I feel like using it as a recovery point would be higher stress than towing.

Depends on the situation. The trailer tongue is ALWAYS going to put down pressure on the receiver. That creates a moment arm and tries to twist the crossmember and the bumper. There are no fore/aft reinforcements there...so the only resistance to twisting is the bending resistance of the shape of the materials (and they are pretty thin) During a recovery, your mostly pulling the receiver, not trying to twist it. Its a different load, both statically and dynamically. In neither case do I think the welds will fail at the receiver...but I do think (based on my education and nothing more) that the pure pull will have less chance to permanently deform the crossmember and frame than the bouncing up and down of a trailer (or one of those basket things that @Apparition called out) trying to twist the thing around.

Depends on the situation. The trailer tongue is ALWAYS going to put down pressure on the receiver. That creates a moment arm and tries to twist the crossmember and the bumper. There are no fore/aft reinforcements there...so the only resistance to twisting is the bending resistance of the shape of the materials (and they are pretty thin) During a recovery, your mostly pulling the receiver, not trying to twist it. Its a different load, both statically and dynamically. In neither case do I think the welds will fail at the receiver...but I do think (based on my education and nothing more) that the pure pull will have less chance to permanently deform the crossmember and frame than the bouncing up and down of a trailer trying to twist the thing around.
I suppose that could be true. I know I permanently deformed my crossmember from a single hard fall, not multiple bounces :LOL: damn golden crack

Possibly but the limits on towing I believe have more to do with short narrow wheelbase than structure.

I think you can see this comparing the TJ vs LJ ratings for the same year

Reactions: Apparition
Depends on the situation. The trailer tongue is ALWAYS going to put down pressure on the receiver. That creates a moment arm and tries to twist the crossmember and the bumper. There are no fore/aft reinforcements there...so the only resistance to twisting is the bending resistance of the shape of the materials (and they are pretty thin) During a recovery, your mostly pulling the receiver, not trying to twist it. Its a different load, both statically and dynamically. In neither case do I think the welds will fail at the receiver...but I do think (based on my education and nothing more) that the pure pull will have less chance to permanently deform the crossmember and frame than the bouncing up and down of a trailer (or one of those basket things that @Apparition called out) trying to twist the thing around.

I was mainly thinking about the weight. A recovery point would put the entire weight of the Jeep on that point. Roughly 4000 lbs, more if it’s stuck in mud. You’re never going to be towing anywhere close to that amount. The force vectors are different for towing vs pulling but the forces themselves would be substantially different.

ABrewmasterTastesandRanks40s.jpg

I have actually wheeled with a guy who has a kk on fodees. He is somewhat local and I see it once a year at an annual event. It's interesting.

FB_IMG_1660618818219.jpg

Last edited: