Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

View attachment 398209

Bit by bit, the auto swap is nearing the end. Start up happened today, which was a huge relief after tracking down a plug that wasn't seated correctly. Thanks to Blaine for being methodical and knowing the possible places to look, along with so much other guidance and assistance.

There is far too much that goes into an auto swap to list much detail here. When we did @rasband's swap last summer, things were still overwhelming, but more straight forward. I'll say the most difficult part on mine has been the amount of old mods I have done that can't live in the same space as all the new auto paraphernalia. So, in addition to an automatic, I have been doing a lot of cleaning up past sins, wiring for added accessories being a significant one. All of it occupies a lot of time and it feels like every step involves addressing something I did a long time ago.

Much of the wiring I have added in the past had been run though the big rubber plug near the gas pedal, never knowing or dreaming that I would be putting the auto shifter cable in there. A whole day was spent moving everything to a new grommetted hole in the firewall behind the glove box. This is Blaine's favorite place to route wires. It is far better and easier than the more common path by the gas pedal. This is mid move before the loom was better organized.
View attachment 398211

200.gif

Reactions: jjvw
An organizational mistake I made a long time ago was not using different wire colors for each accessory. That along with labels would make trouble shooting much nicer.

I have the best intentions to make a wiring diagram for each add on but that doesn’t happen. I have a friend that has a collection of a dozen or more cars and what he does is have a hard bound notebook for each vehicle. He keeps all service and modification data written down. This is also good when selling the vehicle.

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
Someday in the future, I need to do more to clean up the wiring. A terminal block would be nice, if I could find something that was compact and protected.

When you find one that looks like it belongs under the hood of a vehicle, post it up because so far, I have not found anything I like and I've tried a bunch of them. They are all offensive for one reason or another.

When you find one that looks like it belongs under the hood of a vehicle, post it up because so far, I have not found anything I like and I've tried a bunch of them. They are all offensive for one reason or another.

Most aftermarket terminal blocks are too big and bring wires in from multiple directions which just increases the size of everything. I prefer using a single stud for ground or power tap.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That looks nice, I would assume it has a hole in the back for a single wire to go into that the screw tightens down on. There is no picture I see of the back side though.

That would be my assumption as well. Something like that would work for relays. Run the switched power and ground for the coil side to the common spades, that tidies up a few things and those are available in other than 3 bay. Might be able to make something look better than daisy chaining from relay to relay.

The auxiliary cooler is fully plumbed. And the first drive happened tonight! It was a quick 15 minute run around in the cold without doors or windows. Everything seems to working as it ought to. The transmission temp stayed right at about 110°F.

4.88 is barely ok with 35s. 55ish mph was running about 1800rpm. It's hard to believe this was the common recommendation for so many years. Thankfully the new OD off button works! This definitely needs a regear to 5.38 sometime soon.

Overall, it's a very different Jeep with the automatic. It sounds different. It even starts up differently. The urge to shift after 8 years is very strong.

Overall, it's a very different Jeep with the automatic. It sounds different. It even starts up differently

The startup took a while for me to get used to. I'm really excited for this season to play around more together, Carnage or bust!

Reactions: jjvw

I've got some wiring to clean up and have been looking for one that is small, sealed, and looks like it belongs. The only one I've seen thus far that looks okay, with 7 studs, is from Texas Industrial Electric Company. Their website sucks, but here it is:

https://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_junction_blocks.asp
JB7_C_sm.gif

JB7-C
7 - #10 Stud Covered Water Resistant Junction Block
These Studs are Insulated from each other.
With Nut & Lock Washer

Corrosion Resistant
Molded Cover & Housing
(5) Terminal Openings
L= 8.059in / 204.7mm, W=3.201in / 81.3mm, H=2.250in / 57.1mm
$33.50 ea.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.