Dana 30 / 44 Options & Plans

Jesse_224

2000 TJ
4.0 Straight 6
5 speed manual NV-3550
35" BFG Mud Terrain
3" JKS suspension lift
Dana 30/35 Geared to 4.10 with open differentials

When I purchased my Jeep, I was told that it had a Dana 44 rear axle. I didn't know how to tell the difference. After purchasing and further inspection, its a Dana 35.
So I decided a Super 35 was in my near future to be able to run the 35" tires without breaking axles.

But then I found this low mileage (45,000) Dana 44 from an LJ with 3.73 gears, a LSD, and disc brakes. I payed $650 (Please tell me that was an OK deal!)

So here is my new plan.

Dana 30
- Regear to 4.88
- Powertrax No Slip locker
- 4340 27 Spline chromoly shafts

Dana 44
- Regear to 4.88
- I'm not sure what locker, maybe a Detroit? I just can't seem to get a selectable out of my head. Or maybe just leave in the LSD? I know its not optimal, but price is a factor.

Does that sound like an OK plan? Any blatant problems?

Also, should I keep my Dana 30 and 35 axles together since they are already geared to 4.10? It seems like they would be easier to sell as a pair. I could pick up another Dana 30 for a song, or maybe a HP Dana 30?

Any input is appreciated!

20200403_003412.jpg

20200801_172158.jpg

20200801_172219.jpg

20200801_172401.jpg

Reactions: JMT
I won't comment on the ratios or the locker, many here are much more knowledgeable than me in those areas, but I think you got a good deal on the 44, and it looks very clean.

$650 is a great deal on a Dana 44 for a TJ, especially one that is that clean. As for the rear locker, is this a daily driver for you? or just a toy/offroad? I have a selectable locker and it serves me well for a non DD. I see the Detroit TruTrac recommended a lot for a good LSD for on/offroad.

$650 is a great deal on a Dana 44 for a TJ, especially one that is that clean. As for the rear locker, is this a daily driver for you? or just a toy/offroad? I have a selectable locker and it serves me well for a non DD. I see the Detroit TruTrac recommended a lot for a good LSD for on/offroad.
It is a weekend driver. It is more of a toy than anything, but I would still like it to be well behaved on the road.

Detroits front and rear on 35s HP 30, 44 rear. DD everyday. There are some quirks to being locked but nothing you cant live with. Locked at 24k now has 110k.

Reactions: JMT and motomick76
I agree with the selectable can you wait to save up for them it’s best to get it all done once. The only thing though is if you get a locker like an arb or Yukon zip you will need an air source.

I agree with the selectable can you wait to save up for them it’s best to get it all done once. The only thing though is if you get a locker like an arb or Yukon zip you will need an air source.
Yes, I can wait if needed. I'm not in any hurry. I haven't really researched an air source. I guess I was thinking if I did go with a selectable it would be an e-locker. I don't know why, it just seems less complicated.

Reactions: Sancho and JMT
Selectable in the Dana 44, what about the Dana 30? Is an auto locker acceptable there? Any one locker that really stands out to you?

In the rear I would do a selectable. In the front you could go with an auto locker, but it depends on how you drive it. Do you ever drive it in snow or anything?

I hummed and hawed on this for months and in the end bit the bullet and put ARB's front and back. Buy once, cry once...but then at least you will never be wondering shoulda/coulda. I don't have any opinions of ARB vs E-locker other than I was ultimately convinced in my mind to go ARB. In the end it worked out great.

The thing is I hate having multiples of the same thing, and because I have a Viair compressor that I use for my jeep/F150/F350 dually tires/jeep air bags/dually air bags, etc when traveling, I wanted to use that. And because I have a rear behind the seat storage box I had built years ago with limited height, I built a little manifold off one of those green propane pigs for air storage (empty of course) that has both locker solenoids, schraeder valve and 80-120psi switch. The Viair sits in there controlled by a dash switch between the locker switches. I can air down the tires (31s) to 15 and be back up to 30 in ten minutes. The pump comes on automatically below 80psi for the lockers. And to be honest, the little propane pig holds enough air to engage the lockers a dozen or more times. But that is moot as the pressure switch kicks the pump back on when needed.

Hope that makes sense. I should really take some pics LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
In the rear I would do a selectable. In the front you could go with an auto locker, but it depends on how you drive it. Do you ever drive it in snow or anything?
I live in south central OK., we get snow for MAYBE a week out of the year total. We do get ice occasionally though. I would say Ice/snow is a non issue for me.

Reactions: JMT
In all honesty, if you can afford selectable lockers front and rear, I personally think this is the way to go. They aren't that much more than lunchbox lockers, and they are worth it in every way IMHO (y)

I'm of the mindset of buy once, cry once.

I hummed and hawed on this for months and in the end bit the bullet and put ARB's front and back. Buy once, cry once...but then at least you will never be wondering shoulda/coulda. I don't have any opinions of ARB vs E-locker other than I was ultimately convinced in my mind to go ARB. In the end it worked out great.

The thing is I hate having multiples of the same thing, and because I have a Viair compressor that I use for my jeep/F150/F350 dually tires/jeep air bags/dually air bags, etc when traveling, I wanted to use that. And because I have a rear behind the seat storage box I had built years ago with limited height, I built a little manifold off one of those green propane pigs for air storage (empty of course) that has both locker solenoids, schraeder valve and 80-120psi switch. The Viair sits in there controlled by a dash switch between the locker switches. I can air down the tires (31s) to 15 and be back up to 30 in ten minutes. The pump comes on automatically below 80psi for the lockers. And to be honest, the little propane pig holds enough air to engage the lockers a dozen or more times. But that is moot as the pressure switch kicks the pump back on when needed.

Hope that makes sense. I should really take some pics LOL.
It makes sense, now I have some things to research. I just really don't like the idea of dropping $2000 on lockers and then also having to drop more cash on a compressor system.

I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck to get locked with a Dana 30/44. If that is ARB air lockers, then so be it, it just seems a little pricey.

In all honesty, if you can afford selectable lockers front and rear, I personally think this is the way to go. They aren't that much more than lunchbox lockers, and they are worth it in every way IMHO (y)

I'm of the mindset of buy once, cry once.
Fair point, but do people really put auto lockers in and then hate them?

I don't think anyone could ever hate an auto locker, because it's there with the flip of a switch, and it's off with the flip of the switch. It really is the best type of locker there is for the very reason that you can turn it on and off when you need it or when you don't need it.

I personally wouldn't consider anything else, though I understand that some people do in order to save money. My thought though is that you aren't saving all that much, so it's not as big of a deal as if you were saving thousands, you know?

Do you mean "lunchbox" lockers like the Aussie locker?
I had one in front for a while and wasn't a fan. The main reason was because driving in 4WD on the street with snow, it made it really hard to steer.

Do you mean "lunchbox" lockers like the Aussie locker?
I had one in front for a while and wasn't a fan. The main reason was because driving in 4WD on the street with snow, it made it really hard to steer.
Yes, lunchbox or full carrier auto lockers. Lunchbox or Detroit style.

I think I have heard MORE people complain about their selectable lockers after installing them due to issues with either air lines or electrical issues than those who disliked their auto lockers. Now I am talking about full case auto lockers like a Detroit locker and not the lunch box lockers.

But it also depends on where you live and the type of weather you drive in. If you live where it snows a lot of people do not like auto lockers because of the way they can affect handling in snow & icy conditions. This would be the biggest reason to go with selectable lockers over auto lockers if you have winter road conditions.