Dana 30, Dana 35, and Dana 44 factory specifications

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Here are the specs for the stock Dana 30, 35 and 44 axles.

Dana 30
Dana 30 specs.JPG

Dana 35
Dana 35 specs.JPG

Dana 44
Dana 44 specs.JPG

Reactions: Marklar1983
Is there a spec for the tube and axle ends? I have always heard the Rubi Dana 44 is just a Dana 35 with a Dana 44 pumpkin. All other D44s have heavier tubes and ends too. Any truth to that?

Where is the 3.73 Dana 44? ^^^^ Available with the TJ Big Tire option? Stock on an LJ.

Hmmm, not sure about the tube diameters on the rear Dana 44, but I know the front Dana 44 on the Rubicon has the exact same tubes as the Dana 30. The front Dana 44 basically IS a Dana 30 except that it has the Dana 44 pumpkin (which is actually a very good thing if you plan on running upgraded axle shafts and bigger tires since the stock Dana 30 pumpkin can only handle so much).

I would imagine (but I'm not sure) that the rear Dana 44 must have slightly bigger / thicker axle tubes than the Dana 35.

The front Dana 44 basically IS a Dana 30 except that it has the Dana 44 pumpkin (which is actually a very good thing if you plan on running upgraded axle shafts and bigger tires since the stock Dana 30 pumpkin can only handle so much).
Yeah, not criticizing the Rubi Dana 44. Axle tubes are primarily designed for load carrying and the stock Wrangler has no need for heavier tubes. Just wanted a clarification. Lots of comments claim the Rubi Dana 44 is beefed up in all areas. Start doing crazy things like jumping a Wrangler tho and a full size Dana 44 might be a good idea.

Yeah, not criticizing the Rubi Dana 44. Axle tubes are primarily designed for load carrying and the stock Wrangler has no need for heavier tubes. Just wanted a clarification. Lots of comments claim the Rubi Dana 44 is beefed up in all areas. Start doing crazy things like jumping a Wrangler tho and a full size Dana 44 might be a good idea.

Yep. I see a lot of guys on other forums rag on the fact that the front Dana 44 on the TJ Rubicon is basically just a Dana 30. Those guys are morons because while they are indeed using the same axle shafts (though I think the Dana 30 uses 27 spline inners whereas the Dana 44 uses 30 spline inners), the entire pumpkin is different on the Dana 44 front axle. The Dana 30 pumpkin is not as big, which means you can only put in certain size gears before you run out of space (whereas you can usually fit in a wider variety of gears with the Dana 44 I believe). In addition to that, the Dana 44 pumpkin is considerably stronger than the Dana 30, so by no means is it "the same axle".

Like you said, the axle tubes are primarily designed for load carrying. Unless you're doing some crazy jumps, running massive tires or competition rock crawling, I don't think you'll have to worry about bending axle tubes.

I am going to take a look under my jeep sport this weekend and see what rear axle i have. more likely than not i will have dana 35s on the rear, but i know that for the 2002, the 44s were an option... i am really hoping that the previous owner got 44s...

Reactions: FishinSam
I am going to take a look under my jeep sport this weekend and see what rear axle i have. more likely than not i will have dana 35s on the rear, but i know that for the 2002, the 44s were an option... i am really hoping that the previous owner got 44s...

It's like winning the lottery when you look under there and see a Dana 44!

Reactions: darkangel07760
Just curious... did you win the Dana44 lottery when you looked?

I'd like to install a Spartan Locker LSD on my 1999 TJ rear Dana35. Rock Auto lists 2, one with a side gear bore of 1.56" (1-9/16") SLM351527, or 1.625" (1-5/8") SLM351627.
I didn't see any side gear bores listed in the stock differential spec sticky... which one do I get or do I have to pull it apart to measure?
@Chris or anyone have any ideas? Hate to buy & ship the wrong one.

Last edited: