Dana 44 Shock Bracket Issues

I am in the process of swapping my Dana 35 for a Dana 44 and have gotten control arms and trackbar connected and bolts tightened loosely when I just noticed something on this axle that I picked up. The shock brackets seem to be clearly aftermarket and installed incorrectly. Well, maybe not incorrectly but not similar to the factory brackets. I think this is forcing my OME shocks to compress prematurely and leave a 6" gap to the bumpstop.

1711565403751.jpeg

1711565884644.png

Here are the old brackets on the Dana 35, below.

1711565445703.jpeg

I am running the 2.5" OME TJ lift and the shocks fully compress, when lifting at the pumpkin, with about 6" of bumpstop adjustment still being required (maybe). I have not put the wheels/tires on yet (35" KM3's) to check where they will interfere with the fenders/tub.

1711565805321.jpeg

Looking for some advice on how I should move forward.

Also, the new rear seems to have quite the lean to the passenger side at "mid droop" if I let the jack all the way down the drivers side shock is about 1/4 compressed and the passenger side is fully extended. If that made sense. Pardon the gross floor, this TJ lived a lot of it's life in the Midwest...

1711566103000.jpeg

Also, the new rear seems to have quite the lean to the passenger side at "mid droop" if I let the jack all the way down the drivers side shock is about 1/4 compressed and the passenger side is fully extended. If that made sense. Pardon the gross floor, this TJ lived a lot of it's life in the Midwest...

View attachment 512885

This is the nature of a 5-link (4-link with trackbar) suspension.

As for the shock brackets, the previous owner probably installed them at that angle to compensate for a heavily rolled-back pinion angle, as is required with a tall lift, raised transfer case output, and short driveshaft. Otherwise, the shock body hits the spring pad, among other issues. You can either find shocks that work well with where your brackets are or cut and reweld them.

Reactions: RockyMountain_TJ
This is the nature of a 5-link (4-link with trackbar) suspension.

As for the shock brackets, the previous owner probably installed them at that angle to compensate for a heavily rolled-back pinion angle, as is required with a tall lift, raised transfer case output, and short driveshaft. Otherwise, the shock body hits the spring pad, among other issues. You can either find shocks that work well with where your brackets are or cut and reweld them.

Yeah I feared that. I am not really wanting to part with my shocks since I've only had them about 1 season. So looks like I will be shopping around for a shop to do some welding.

I'm still not sure how I didn't see this before all the prep work I did!

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on Clayton Offroad builder products? (not their upper shock mounts, what the hell is even that thing) Currently looking at having these installed by a local fab shop instead of putting the same OEM brackets on for the same price. That way I would be able to chop the old brackets off clean it up and hand it over to them for a much easier install without too much measuring.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-lower-shock-relocation-kit-1997-2006-tj-lj

1711655227654.jpeg

1711655250694.jpeg

I’m in the process of modifying my rear shocks brackets too
I already have a Dana 44 ,
My concern is that the shocks might interfere with lower coil spring pocket

I’m in the process of modifying my rear shocks brackets too
I already have a Dana 44 ,
My concern is that the shocks might interfere with lower coil spring pocket

Yeah I have that concern too, especially when I upgrade my rear driveshaft to a DC and have to tip my pinion angle up to the transfer case.

Worst thing is that I have to notch the lower spring perch out with a cutoff wheel.

Whoever installs those needs to fully cycle the rear suspension WITHOUT springs before they are fully welded in place.

I followed @hosejockey61 advice in this video and measured/look up my shocks at half compression, marked em and lifted the rear axle with springs installed until the jeep frame lifted off the jack stands to get 'ride height' and marked my brackets on the axle there. Fingers crossed I didn't screw it up. Just got my axle back from the fab shop and painted up.

I ended up using Motobilts universal shock bracket and they went on with no issues. Got quoted $100 to do the work so I'm in the hole $116 for this project. Slowly getting closer and closer to wheeling season out here!

Reactions: Tob and Rickyd
I followed @hosejockey61 advice in this video and measured/look up my shocks at half compression, marked em and lifted the rear axle with springs installed until the jeep frame lifted off the jack stands to get 'ride height' and marked my brackets on the axle there. Fingers crossed I didn't screw it up. Just got my axle back from the fab shop and painted up.

I ended up using Motobilts universal shock bracket and they went on with no issues. Got quoted $100 to do the work so I'm in the hole $116 for this project. Slowly getting closer and closer to wheeling season out here!

That's a start. But just knowing the lengths does not tell you anything about the angles and swings of the shocks as the suspension cycles.

That's a start. But just knowing the lengths does not tell you anything about the angles and swings of the shocks as the suspension cycles.

Exactly. Tack them in place and cycle the axle to make sure it's where you want them to be. It will also tell you if you need to trim your spring perches any.

In the video I had the springs out but didn't reference the cycling like I should have. Another thing to note too is that not all shocks are packaged at 50% travel with that strap. People should still verify and make any adjustments as necessary.

Sounds like I may be in for some fun here in a day or two!

After I marked the location with a paint pen at ride height and half shock compression I put it back down and pulled the springs and cycled it one side at a time and made sure the bracket lined up with the marks I’d made. It seemed to line up okay. I did the best I could without a welder, I think.

Bummer when no off-road shops would return emails or calls about quotes. I guess we will see!