• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Dash bar for TJs?

Kiwi TJ

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
May 3, 2016
Auckland New Zealand
Is this for rigidity to stop twisting ?...protection in a crash situation.?

jjvw

0-60 in 18 seconds
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2018
Colorado, USA
If it isn't part of a cage then what is the purpose? Why should I be surprised that thing is available for a JK?

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: ac_

Drizit

TJ Addict
Feb 18, 2018
Canada
Makes a convent spot for solid mounting points. Use handle bar phone and GPS mounts, that sort of thing.

--
There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: PCO6

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
May 22, 2017
Auburn, AL, United States
I’ll mediate here. If I understand its purpose for a JK then no there is no dash bar for a TJ. However if its that bar above the defrost vents you are after then rockhard 4x4 sells a bolt in cage that would provide you exactly that for a couple bones. Its not as strong as a fully built cage, but I don’t think that’s what you are after regardless. You could also try rigging up your own bar, but the TJ dash doesn’t have any points ontop of it that would support a giant DOM tube. If I were you I’d go the Rockhard cage option or look for a more creative mounting solution. What are you trying to mount up?

JeepNWilly

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2017
Loxahatchee, FL, United States
The purpose seems to be only for mounting gadgets/accessories.

From https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jke-dock-2011-2017

The Vector Off-Road JKE-Dock installs directly to your 2011-2018 JK dash using existing mounting points. Installation requires no permanent modification to your Wrangler. The JKE-Dock provides a clean solid mounting point for your Cell Phone, GPS, Spot Messenger, Flashlight, CB, CB Microphone, Radar Detector, Ham Radio, etc…

Reactions: jjvw

PCO6

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2016
Newmarket, Ontario
Makes a convent spot for solid mounting points. Use handle bar phone and GPS mounts, that sort of thing.
--
I agree. I've seen them but I think they've been home made (and well done). RAM "gadget" mounts, like in the OP's pic, are great for this kind of thing. I have a Rugged Ridge bracket like the one below. It's for CB's but you could easily mount a GPS or dash cam to it. They don't offer one for the right side but it would be fairly easy to duplicate. I think it's 16g metal and it has a black crackle finish. If you wanted to go really nuts you could fabricate a tube to connect one side to the other.

6039bb9943fa5f58118e12284b03cad5.jpg

EDIT - SORRY FOR THE BIG PIC. I STOLE IT OFF OF THE WEB.

Last edited:
OP
TJAlex

TJAlex

Mar 13, 2018
Melbourne VIC, Australia
Thanks for the replies all, yes the purpose of the bar would be mounting point for radio/gps/dash cam/go pro for a very long trip (20,000 miles). Wanted a more out-of-the-way mounting point to keep the cockpit a bit more clear of cabling etc, and have had issues with the windscreen mounts. I like the above CB mount idea, perhaps duplicating on the right and connecting with a bar as suggested. I'm in Australia so would need the right side anyway.

Drizit

TJ Addict
Feb 18, 2018
Canada
If you have access to a welder you could make a bar quite easily. Cut a bit of heavy gauge sheet metal or plate to fit the windshield frame, drill some bolt holes and weld a bar between them then screw it into the plastic trim on the windshield frame.

--

Jeffreybomb

2004 Wrangler TJ X
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Chicago, IL, United States
Can you accomplish the same thing with a rock hard (or any other brand) cage?
Yes. I've got a Rock Hard cage. Their standard kit gives you a dash bar. It reinforces the a-pillar bars also included in the kit. I bought it so I could still have protection with the windshield down.

I've read that Smittybilt's cage is a knock-off; the bar material is a lot thinner and doesn't have the same quality as Rock Hard. Given that they were able to screw up even a simple order like my seat risers, there's no way in hell I'd trust their products to help me in a roll-over.