Dash bar for TJs?

TJAlex

Long time stalker, just signed up and first time posting.

I'm curious if you can get dash bars for TJs? Similar to the ones I see in JKs, see below image.

image_f9cf5a23-cef6-479d-8aaa-f6ca0812d2c4_2048x2048.jpg

Thoughts?

Is this for rigidity to stop twisting ?...protection in a crash situation.?

If it isn't part of a cage then what is the purpose? Why should I be surprised that thing is available for a JK?

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: wraith1516 and ac_
I’ll mediate here. If I understand its purpose for a JK then no there is no dash bar for a TJ. However if its that bar above the defrost vents you are after then rockhard 4x4 sells a bolt in cage that would provide you exactly that for a couple bones. Its not as strong as a fully built cage, but I don’t think that’s what you are after regardless. You could also try rigging up your own bar, but the TJ dash doesn’t have any points ontop of it that would support a giant DOM tube. If I were you I’d go the Rockhard cage option or look for a more creative mounting solution. What are you trying to mount up?

The purpose seems to be only for mounting gadgets/accessories.

From https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jke-dock-2011-2017

The Vector Off-Road JKE-Dock installs directly to your 2011-2018 JK dash using existing mounting points. Installation requires no permanent modification to your Wrangler. The JKE-Dock provides a clean solid mounting point for your Cell Phone, GPS, Spot Messenger, Flashlight, CB, CB Microphone, Radar Detector, Ham Radio, etc…

Reactions: jjvw
Makes a convent spot for solid mounting points. Use handle bar phone and GPS mounts, that sort of thing.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.
I agree. I've seen them but I think they've been home made (and well done). RAM "gadget" mounts, like in the OP's pic, are great for this kind of thing. I have a Rugged Ridge bracket like the one below. It's for CB's but you could easily mount a GPS or dash cam to it. They don't offer one for the right side but it would be fairly easy to duplicate. I think it's 16g metal and it has a black crackle finish. If you wanted to go really nuts you could fabricate a tube to connect one side to the other.

6039bb9943fa5f58118e12284b03cad5.jpg

EDIT - SORRY FOR THE BIG PIC. I STOLE IT OFF OF THE WEB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all, yes the purpose of the bar would be mounting point for radio/gps/dash cam/go pro for a very long trip (20,000 miles). Wanted a more out-of-the-way mounting point to keep the cockpit a bit more clear of cabling etc, and have had issues with the windscreen mounts. I like the above CB mount idea, perhaps duplicating on the right and connecting with a bar as suggested. I'm in Australia so would need the right side anyway.

Reactions: hear and SSTJ
If you have access to a welder you could make a bar quite easily. Cut a bit of heavy gauge sheet metal or plate to fit the windshield frame, drill some bolt holes and weld a bar between them then screw it into the plastic trim on the windshield frame.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Can you accomplish the same thing with a rock hard (or any other brand) cage?

Yes. I've got a Rock Hard cage. Their standard kit gives you a dash bar. It reinforces the a-pillar bars also included in the kit. I bought it so I could still have protection with the windshield down.

I've read that Smittybilt's cage is a knock-off; the bar material is a lot thinner and doesn't have the same quality as Rock Hard. Given that they were able to screw up even a simple order like my seat risers, there's no way in hell I'd trust their products to help me in a roll-over.