Dash bar for TJs?

don't believe everything you read. the smittybilt was actually quite impressive in person and was one of the few products i have ever bought for a vehicle which actually overdelivered on what they advertised. my cage kit included roll bar padding and covers for all the new tubes except for the dash bar.

61gwdiIV7PL._SL1500_.jpg

61nxgukx9gL._SL1500_.jpg

You could use something like this for overhead storage and such but i wouldn't really work for mounting. maybe if it has a metal plate running through it. You could use the same idea though and just get a metal bar or plate running front to back.

Reactions: KCsTJ
don't believe everything you read. the smittybilt was actually quite impressive in person

I normally take input on forums with a grain of salt, but it's more difficult to ignore criticism about Smittybilt's roll cage when multiple people are complaining about it.

Everything I saw on the Internet bad with Smitty built roll cage kit was prior to 2012 it seems they updated it and it is comparable to the rock hard unit. Using the same diameter tubing and similar clamps and looks fairly similar

Everything I saw on the Internet bad with Smitty built roll cage kit was prior to 2012 it seems they updated it and it is comparable to the rock hard unit. Using the same diameter tubing and similar clamps and looks fairly similar

We may see more improvements in TAW house brands now that Polaris owns them and all thier holdings. Rock Hard is a well built product and has been tested many times in roll-overs. No structural failures ever that I am aware of. I ran one of their full Sport cage kits in my 2006 LJR on 37s. Really stiffened up the rig as well. I like the idea of the bent plate and just a bar welded to it. If its only for accessories of course. You could probably make it out of square tubing and make it easier to mount flat plates for bolting things too. Just make sure you do not obscure the forward view. This may be an issue with some LEOs in your town.

Namaste,

Allen

Last edited:
We may see more improvements in TAW house brands now that Polaris owns them and all thier holdings. Rock Hard is a well built product and has been tested many times in roll-overs. No structural failures ever that I am aware of. I ran one of their full Sport cage kits in my 2006 LJR on 37s. Really stiffened up the rig as well. I like the idea of the bent plate and just a bar welded to it. If its only for accessories of course. You could probably make it out of square tubing and make it easier to mount flat plates for bolting things too. Just make sure you do not obscure the forward view. This may be an issue with some LEOs in your town.

Namaste,

Allen
Allen would you trust this cage on your own rig over a cage like what poly performance used to offer with a welded tube through dash design?

Yes I would and did on my LJR. I remember a little about the Poly design. Straight tube, in sections, down to a floor plate that tied through the tub to the frame with a barrel sleeve and bushings. Meh! No difference for me. I would not tie to the frame. I want the heavy stuff to go away from me in a roll-over.

Edit: See the old Poly cage install here with Fourwheeler mag.

Last edited:

Dash bar not grabars.

@TJAlex Just get some 1/8 sheet metal, a sand bag, small dead blow hammer, and some tubing the size you want. cut a piece to fit the width of the a-pillar. Hammer it to fit the curvature then drill some holes to mount it. Measure the length of tubing needed. Cut or grind the angle for a flush fit. Then, weld it up, paint as desired, and reinstall. Done

Optional: Take measurements along the way or have it lazer scanned into cad software. Manufacture and sell until retirement.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
You could also just do this kit from Poison Spyder and then have a fab shop bend you a piece of tubing to be the finished height you want across the front of the dash. You could also have it made so you could remove it with a smaller sleeve welded to the top of the lower a-pillar kit and pin or bolt it together.

Dash bar not grabars.

@TJAlex Just get some 1/8 sheet metal, a sand bag, small dead blow hammer, and some tubing the size you want. cut a piece to fit the width of the a-pillar. Hammer it to fit the curvature then drill some holes to mount it. Measure the length of tubing needed. Cut or grind the angle for a flush fit. Then, weld it up, paint as desired, and reinstall. Done

Optional: Take measurements along the way or have it lazer scanned into cad software. Manufacture and sell until retirement.

Ah! Just saw the grab bar in the photo!

I have a dash bar which I just prototyped in my TJ for radios, phone, iPad mini for mapping software and hand held radio. I will post everything mounted once my bar clamps arrive. If you like this design I am thinking about selling them for approx $250. Bolts up using existing hardware on jeep

06348334-8C70-47E3-B98B-8E74D93B5A6D.jpeg

2CA9E40C-CD35-4B56-BCB4-EFA22D90725C.jpeg

I have a dash bar which I just prototyped in my TJ for radios, phone, iPad mini for mapping software and hand held radio. I will post everything mounted once my bar clamps arrive. If you like this design I am thinking about selling them for approx $250. Bolts up using existing hardware on jeep

View attachment 71284

View attachment 71285
Nicely done....

$250 plus shipping and handling. Sounds expensive but these are hand made until I kick up production. I just painted the prototype and will take more pictures of and in the jeep tomorrow.

Reactions: hyperdub808