Daubies at home HEMI conversion

Today was cold and windy but dry.
After I got home from work and had breakfast I thought it'd be a good day to put some shake down miles on the Jeep. I did buy a small inexpensive portable OBDII reader scanner to have on hand to keep an eye on some things and clear any codes if I happen to get any.
Happy to say that I put just under 50 miles on it in many different driving conditions and it performed without a hitch.😁 WIN.!!
The only thing that I might end up changing is the thermostat. Because of hearing that the HEMI runs hot in the smaller TJ engine bay I installed a 180° t-stat. So far no matter how long I let it idle or how it's been driven in the near 100 total miles it doesn't get above 182°. Not necessarily a bad thing but as I understand these motors like to run at 200°. It has only been 30-50° air temp so this might not be the best time to judge coolant temps. I do also have a 195° t-stat on hand if I need to change it.
Other than that the transmission seems to run cool and all other systems on point.
In closing I realize it's just getting on the road but from what I've experienced so far this has all been worth it.

Side note:
I took it by our local Jeep dealership where I've been getting a lot of my parts to show a few of the guys that were aware of what I was doing. They just happen to have 2, 392 HEMI JLU's on the showroom floor right now. Unexpectedly the GM came out to see what the hubbub was all about and he was surprised to see what I had and said he wouldn't mind having it sit on the showroom for a little while.. Not sure if I'll do it but that is a nice compliment I thought. So, we'll see..

Side note:
I took it by our local Jeep dealership where I've been getting a lot of my parts to show a few of the guys that were aware of what I was doing. They just happen to have 2, 392 HEMI JLU's on the showroom floor right now. Unexpectedly the GM came out to see what the hubbub was all about and he was surprised to see what I had and said he wouldn't mind having it sit on the showroom for a little while.. Not sure if I'll do it but that is a nice compliment I thought. So, we'll see..

Love this. It would be cool to have it sitting between the two JLs. Maybe see if people make offers on it, just for fun.

Reactions: Daubie3
Love this. It would be cool to have it sitting between the two JLs. Maybe see if people make offers on it, just for fun.

It would make for some good pictures.
The JL's are like $89,000.... I'd probably take that for mine.😳🤪🤣

Forgot to mention that before I came home I filled it up with gas and my gas filler float fix that I did works perfectly. Left the nozzle fully on and it clicked off just like it should. WIN again.!! No spills.!!

It would make for some good pictures.
The JL's are like $89,000.... I'd probably take that for mine.😳🤪🤣

Forgot to mention that before I came home I filled it up with gas and my gas filler float fix that I did works perfectly. Left the nozzle fully on and it clicked off just like it should. WIN again.!! No spills.!!
Yep I fell victim to this first time I filled up mine 🤣 Something so simple as the fill working properly is so satisfying.

Non working/stuck fuel injectors..

I re bench tested the 4 injectors that I replaced on the motor.
By bench testing I mean briskly taping them upside down on my wooden bench several times while spraying them with carb cleaner. After a few LOVE (or hate) taps, 3 of them started operating properly and I could spray through them.
The 4th one though no matter how much love I gave it refused to comply. I tagged all of them accordingly and put them in the spare parts area.
My thoughts on the injectors originally 3 years ago when I got the motor was that I bought a set of factory MOPAR injectors that had been cleaned, reconditioned, new screens, new O rings and were flow tested which included a printout to show the 8 I received were matched very close together.
I'm thinking they were probably fine at the time I received them but during the long down time sitting that maybe what ever the fluid they use to test them may have caused them to stick..🤷‍♂️ who knows for sure..
So lesson learned.. I would now highly recommend any one in a similar situation as mine to take the few minutes it takes to "Click" "Spray" test the injectors on any engine that has sat for an extended period of time to save a lot of frustration and confusion when you get it running. Far easier to do ahead of time than on the motor full of gas..
Just my 1 cent worth... Was 2 cents before this out of control inflation..

Thanks for the quick replies. In what I’ve read about the swap, the 2 reasons stated for needing a body lift are for the exhaust and the transmission clearance. I’ll be using an AX15, which should theoretically fit since they came in TJs stock and the Holley engine mounts keep the engine just a little lower in the chassis from what i understand. It’s a bummer that Holley discontinued their headers and exhaust because I’ve read they fit like a glove. Any chance you can snap a couple pics whenever you might be around the Jeep of the exhaust clearance to the body? Thanks again for all previous pics. Probably one of the best write ups I’ve seen on this.

StevieRT

Here's some pics best I could take of the exhaust to body clearance. Lighting and tight space made it a little difficult to get great shots..

IMG_20230218_181936955_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230218_181923593_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230218_182042466.jpg

IMG_20230218_182026856.jpg

IMG_20230218_182124350.jpg

IMG_20230218_182100384.jpg

IMG_20230218_182258317.jpg

IMG_20230218_182159928.jpg

IMG_20230218_182330325_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230218_182311510.jpg

IMG_20230218_182445209.jpg

IMG_20230218_182411205.jpg

IMG_20230218_182814163.jpg

IMG_20230218_182458575.jpg

IMG_20230218_182841292.jpg

IMG_20230218_182822148.jpg

Last edited:
So with the way the country is today, I guess I'll have to get one of these made so that I remain PC and don't offend anybody.....
Yeah right.. LOL...

View attachment 401547

You’re not doing it right until you ride someone’s ass 30mph over the speed limit within 5’ of their bumper….with your brights on.

Today was an above normal temp day in the upper 50's and sunny, so great time to get both the rides out and put a few miles on them.

First was the 51 Victoria. Completely different vehicle from the Jeep but equally as enjoyable to drive..
Then took the Jeep out and put about 20 miles on each.
IMG_20230219_161016292.jpg

I also put the front bumper, front trans skid plate and spare tire back on. At this point with about 100 miles on it I feel like it's pretty much finished with the exception of the final air induction and the AC lines.
About the air induction, I'm envisioning something that looks like a factory air box.....but untill then I cobbled this awesome intake together..🤪 Yes I used my crimson head holder engineering...
Kidding aside, it does work fine untill I fab the permanent one.

IMG_20230219_122557289.jpg

IMG_20230219_122620490.jpg

IMG_20230219_122700003.jpg

Yep, that's Gorilla tape and dryer vent ducting. Deal with it.😳😂🤣

This is the OBDII scanner I got. Like it real well. It's from Amazon and was about $50. It works stand alone or will Bluetooth with your phone for more options..

IMG_20230219_122509627.jpg

Here's the link if anyone else is interested..

ANCEL BD310 OBD2 Scanner... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J51W9NS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Today was an above normal temp day in the upper 50's and sunny, so great time to get both the rides out and put a few miles on them.

First was the 51 Victoria. Completely different vehicle from the Jeep but equally as enjoyable to drive..
Then took the Jeep out and put about 20 miles on each.
View attachment 401695

I also put the front bumper, front trans skid plate and spare tire back on. At this point with about 100 miles on it I feel like it's pretty much finished with the exception of the final air induction and the AC lines.
About the air induction, I'm envisioning something that looks like a factory air box.....but untill then I cobbled this awesome intake together..🤪 Yes I used my crimson head holder engineering...
Kidding aside, it does work fine untill I fab the permanent one.

View attachment 401696

View attachment 401697

View attachment 401698
Yep, that's Gorilla tape and dryer vent ducting. Deal with it.😳😂🤣

This is the OBDII scanner I got. Like it real well. It's from Amazon and was about $50. It works stand alone or will Bluetooth with your phone for more options..

View attachment 401699

Here's the link if anyone else is interested..

ANCEL BD310 OBD2 Scanner... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J51W9NS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Love the shop, Daubie.

Thank you very much...
Would still like to get some more equipment little by little...
You seem to have a very nice setup also..

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks for the pictures sir! They are excellent. Very nice work on the exhaust routing. Maybe just by the angle of the pictures, but it looks like there is a decent amount of room around the manifolds and it could be possible to run this set up without the body lift. Thanks again for going above and beyond with the pictures! Glad to hear you get your injector issues sorted out too.

As far as the exhaust manifolds versus headers, I from the beginning had pretty much decided to stick with the cast iron manifolds from a Jeep Grand cherokee/Commander. I'm sure a lot of products are better today than they were 30 40 years ago when I was using tubular headers on a lot of different car builds I tinkered with and even the best brand back then "Hooker" still had a lot of problems with warpage and cracks, I had both issues with just about every brand I used. Since then marriage kid and career left last time and money to tinker with vehicles. Fast forward to now when I'm back into tinkering more and like I said I'm not looking for max power output just something reliable and least amount of upkeep. The other reason I went with manifolds and new heat shields is my theam is to appear as though this could have been a factory option. The heat shields help cut down on under hood temps. They might be able to be used with headers also. Not against others using headers by any means, just my reason not using them. Can't really offer any good advice on the AX15 behind the HEMI, although I think this is my first TJ with an automatic. I specifically bought this one to do the swap so I was wanting an automatic for ease of the conversion. I'm not one to tell someone else how/what to do but I'll tell you why I do what I do, and we all know there's as many ways to do things as there are JEEPS.

I could've written this. When I get to my install I want it to look as close to factory, using as many factory parts as I can. Since I am also going with the AX15 (well NV3550), I have no interest in squeezing out more HP. Breathing thru factory manifolds it'll make plenty. I also went through the love/hate relationship with headers on my first hot rods growing up, tho that was a long time ago and I had no money, so I used the cheapest headers I cold get. I used to have to replace gaskets about once a week, constantly retorquing them etc.

Thanks for the pictures sir! They are excellent. Very nice work on the exhaust routing. Maybe just by the angle of the pictures, but it looks like there is a decent amount of room around the manifolds and it could be possible to run this set up without the body lift. Thanks again for going above and beyond with the pictures! Glad to hear you get your injector issues sorted out too.

Wouldn't hurt anything to try it without the body lift. You'll know really quick if you have to have it. I just went by what the conversion shops claim that it's really needed, so just did, plus it'll give me more room when I go to bigger tires.
The manifolds I used pretty much point straight down so not using a body lift I don't think would affect them.

Wouldn't hurt anything to try it without the body lift. You'll know really quick if you have to have it. I just went by what the conversion shops claim that it's really needed, so just did, plus it'll give me more room when I go to bigger tires.
The manifolds I used pretty much point straight down so not using a body lift I don't think would affect them.

When I did my Hemi, I tried like hell to avoid the body lift. The first few fitup’s were without one. I even tried it without that upper reinforcement bracket on the tranny. At the end of the day I would have had to redo a good chunk of the tunnel, so I did a 1” body lift and everything cleared.

But now I’m glad I did. I like the stance, I’ve been able to raise the tank a few inches, added raised body mounts for more clearance, and I was able to clock the Atlas flat and even with the frame rails.

When I did my Hemi, I tried like hell to avoid the body lift. The first few fitup’s were without one. I even tried it without that upper reinforcement bracket on the tranny. At the end of the day I would have had to redo a good chunk of the tunnel, so I did a 1” body lift and everything cleared.

But now I’m glad I did. I like the stance, I’ve been able to raise the tank a few inches, added raised body mounts for more clearance, and I was able to clock the Atlas flat and even with the frame rails.

Those are all very good reasons even without the engine swap.
I just didn't want to fight a loosing battle and just planned for it and am glad I did.

Drove it to work last night, 40 miles highway one way. There and back at 70+ and no issues. 👍😁
The coolant temp stays locked in at 183°. The IAT varied between 48° (outside air temp) up to 105° (sitting at a light).
So far very happy.. almost 200 miles on it now..

Last edited:
Drove it to work last night, 40 miles highway one way. There and back a70+ and no issues. 👍😁
The coolant temp stays locked in at 183°. The IAT varied between 48° (outside air temp) up to 105° (sitting at a light).
So far very happy.. almost 200 miles on it now..

Congratulations. That has to be a great feeling.