Daubies at home HEMI conversion

Update on the CEL light.
Chris from Hotwire got back to me and said that they had missed turning off the EGR in the ECM when they flashed it. He said I'll need to send it back to him unless I had an HP Tuner, which I don't have. It doesn't hurt anything other than the CEL being on until it gets reflashed.
Even though we agree that's what it is, I resat the ECM again and plugged in the EGR solenoid started the engine and NO CEL or any other bad lights on the dash. So that is confirmed fo sho...👏
I'm not going to use the EGR but will leave it plugged in until I get the ECM sent back to Hotwire just to keep the CEL off in case I have another issue to trip the CEL and I wouldn't know it if its already on.

Next I need to get both of the shifter linkages hooked up on the drivetrain. I'm going to need to do some mods on both to get them to work properly. After that I need to bolt the body back to the frame, make my heater hoses, fill with coolant, check/look things over one more time and hopefully take it for a drive this weekend.....🤞🤞

Trying to decide what coolant to use with my all aluminum radiator. Most everything I'm reading on different sites/forums and counter dudes at the parts stores lean towards the Yellow, which is supposed to be universal, won't corrode the radiator and compatable with all other colors (I have nothing in it now so thats not a big deal to me) . So I'm open to any others thoughts.....

Sorry, didn't have gratuitous photos to post this time just boring story time. :sleep:

Trying to decide what coolant to use with my all aluminum radiator. Most everything I'm reading on different sites/forums and counter dudes at the parts stores lean towards the Yellow, which is supposed to be universal, won't corrode the radiator and compatable with all other colors (I have nothing in it now so thats not a big deal to me) . So I'm open to any others thoughts...

I am running a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Super Tech universal green antifreeze. I also added a bottle of Redline Water Wetter…

I have a zinc anode screwed into my radiator as well. The aluminum heads, radiator and heater core coupled with the iron block makes for a corrosive environment. The zinc anode makes a nice sacrificial lamb…

I am running a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Super Tech universal green antifreeze. I also added a bottle of Redline Water Wetter…

I have a zinc anode screwed into my radiator as well. The aluminum heads, radiator and heater core coupled with the iron block makes for a corrosive environment. The zinc anode makes a nice sacrificial lamb…

Where/how did you install the zinc anode.??

Where/how did you install the zinc anode.??

I unscrewed my drain and installed the anode. 1/4” npt for both. I measured the depth of the hole to the core first and made sure the anode wasn’t too long. Didn’t feel like driving it into my radiator core, lol…

AA0CB5CD-978D-4527-9D7A-F7FC4B12D156.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001QV1CF4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

If a person really stays on top of the flush and fill of the coolant it’s not quite as big of a deal, but I didn’t want to take a chance…

Reactions: Daubie3
Thanks for the comments..
In all honesty it hasn't been too awfully difficult. The big things went pretty well and without much resistance, but some of the more challenging things are the things I hadn't even given a second thought to. Like the exhaust, and now the little things like the shifter linkages and all the other things to hook back up that need some modifications that really for me has been the slow down.
Overall though, if I can do it so could anyone else...

IMG_20230202_184554.gif

Almost every hemi conversion thread i've read says getting the motor in is pretty easy, and I can see why. The harness if done by hotwire is obviously easy. It always seems to be the little things. Gas line hookup, Power steering hoses, AC hoses, where and how to route the air filter, engine fan setup, electric? clutch fan with shroud? The big stuff seems to go pretty quick, but there are a multitude of details that need to be worked out. Not insurmountable, but time consuming for sure.

I'll let ya know if I ever get to mine. I have all the tough to find big parts to do the conversion, just need the time now....

Thanks for the comments..
In all honesty it hasn't been too awfully difficult. The big things went pretty well and without much resistance, but some of the more challenging things are the things I hadn't even given a second thought to. Like the exhaust, and now the little things like the shifter linkages and all the other things to hook back up that need some modifications that really for me has been the slow down.
Overall though, if I can do it so could anyone else...

View attachment 397193

Yes, but if I do that, than I will have no other choice than to go to one tons. I mean, that's how the progression works in my head. I have little choice in the matter.

How is yours coming, Dude?

Stalled out. Instagram has the latest progress. Time hasn’t been my friend. Too many projects at work and I don’t really want to heat the garage right now in the negative temperatures.

Was planned on hitting it hard last weekend but had to go out of state for a funeral.

Had some time yesterday (Saturday) to get some work done.

Got both of the shifter brackets and linkages modified and hooked up and put the front driveshaft on.

Installed the body mount bolts.

E Brake cables installed.

Heater hoses put on.

Installed a zinc anode in the radiator drain location and filled radiator with coolant.

Put the belly skid back on with these rubber bumpers that sit about a 1/2" below the transmission crossmember just as a safety device in case the crossmember were to fail.
They are trailer ramp door bumpers.
IMG_20230205_111258886.jpg

So it was ready to start it let it get up to temp and check for any fluid leaks. Took a while to get up to temp but no leaks.

Today (Sunday)

Let it get up to temp again, looked good. So figured now was as good a time as any to see if it'll move. It does, took a short drive to the gas station to get some more gas.
Well, it did ok......
The idle seems low to me and it doesn't rev very fast at all and seems like it is choked down or restricted somehow. Even in park with no load it is slow to rev and when in gear it really bogs down.
No more time this weekend to try to start sorting that out.
I don't have any CEL codes showing.
Took a little time and picked up a few messes in the shop and moved the Jeep about of the lift bay.
Any input or ideas?

Here are some gratuitous pics..
IMG_20230205_142011765.jpg

IMG_20230205_142036582.jpg

IMG_20230205_142050389_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230205_142117124.jpg

IMG_20230205_142059529_HDR.jpg

Obviously there are still a few things left to do but pretty happy at the stage it's at.

Had some time yesterday (Saturday) to get some work done.

Got both of the shifter brackets and linkages modified and hooked up and put the front driveshaft on.

Installed the body mount bolts.

E Brake cables installed.

Heater hoses put on.

Installed a zinc anode in the radiator drain location and filled radiator with coolant.

Put the belly skid back on with these rubber bumpers that sit about a 1/2" below the transmission crossmember just as a safety device in case the crossmember were to fail.
They are trailer ramp door bumpers.
View attachment 398094

So it was ready to start it let it get up to temp and check for any fluid leaks. Took a while to get up to temp but no leaks.

Today (Sunday)

Let it get up to temp again, looked good. So figured now was as good a time as any to see if it'll move. It does, took a short drive to the gas station to get some more gas.
Well, it did ok......
The idle seems low to me and it doesn't rev very fast at all and seems like it is choked down or restricted somehow. Even in park with no load it is slow to rev and when in gear it really bogs down.
No more time this weekend to try to start sorting that out.
I don't have any CEL codes showing.
Took a little time and picked up a few messes in the shop and moved the Jeep about of the lift bay.
Any input or ideas?

Here are some gratuitous pics..
View attachment 398096

View attachment 398097

View attachment 398098

View attachment 398099

View attachment 398100

Obviously there are still a few things left to do but pretty happy at the stage it's at.

Old Honda trail 70 it looks like in the back, cool little bike. Jeep is coming along great, going to be a blast to drive.

Had to work this Saturday so didn't have a lot of time to sort the low power issue, but my Buddy brought his Snap-On scanner over for me to borrow.

On the engine running lame issues.

I ran a full scan on the Snap On scanner and no codes or errors.
I pulled the muffler and tailpipe off to be sure wasn't somehow choked down, no difference. Was a suggestion by a mechanic friend just to help diagnose.
I unplugged all the engine and O2 sensors one at a time like was also suggested and made no difference.
I then went old school and started pulling coil signal wires one at a time and discovered this odd condition that is in this video.

Check this out,
I have a 4 cylinder HEMI..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFDNyZ9ZnRYVHfid6

It was only running on 4 cylinders, 3 on the left bank and 1 on the right bank. Cylinders 2, 3, 4 and 6 not firing. Can't believe it was running and driving at all, especially not throwing any codes.
I don't show in the video but I took an extra plug wire and plug and checked each cylinder and had spark in all 8.
So I figure it has to be fuel. I pulled the fuel rails and injectors and the 4 that matched up with the dead cylinders would not click when I bench tested them. I still have the injectors I took out of the engine when I got it, bench tested and sprayed cleaner through them, put them in and runs like it should.!! I'll also include that video.

So much better when all 8 are hitting...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKCsuuWAFZTPTgaUA

Put the exhaust back on and took it for a drive. WOW, what a difference
Drove it a few miles and everything seemed pretty good, then on my way home (just had to do it) I stood on it WOT and the instant I did that I got the CEL on and went into limp mode. I got 6 codes, 3 for the TB, P0121, P0123, P0223 and 3 for the accelerator pedal, P2101, P2110, P2135. Limped home cleared the codes and was out of time for the day.
Yesterday I took it out for another drive seemed to run very strong and perform as it should but I never went full throttle and didn't have any issues.
I may have an issue with the drive by wire not being fully synced between the TB and pedal at this time and need to look into that after i put a few more close to home test miles on it and see if it might self learn/adjust.
Does anyone know if I'll have to do a relearn on the pedal/TB or will it self adjust over time?

The 6-8 miles I drove it yesterday already let me know the time and money spent is going to be well worth it.!!

Last edited: