Daubies at home HEMI conversion

Someone along the way, don't remember who or when, ( CRS again) asked me how long and how much time it took to do this. I didn't keep any hourly or daily records but my best guess is 60-70 hours over a 2 1/2 month period. Thanksgiving and Christmas was during that timeframe. I never really had any time through the week to do any real work other than take a few measurements, order parts and other quick things.
The weekends is where I could actually go to the shop and spend 3-5 hours at a time and knock things out one at a time. I rarely spent a little longer than that if I was close to finishing something up. I still wanted to enjoy some weekend time and not get burned out on this. Every bit of this I did by myself with the exception of when it came to the shifter linkages on the transmission and transfer case. I did ask my wife to come sit in the Jeep and move the shifters as needed so I could finish modding the bottom end links to work. I initially tried to do it by myself but was horribly inefficient going back and forth with each mod and adjustment. Many thanks to her.
So that's the best answer I can come up with on a time frame/hours. I also was not in any big hurry..

Thanks.. it is.
I'm sure it's not as beastly as yours will be when you finish it.. I really like your intake setup. I like when people think outside the box.

And a thanks back at you. I did the stock look the first time around and wanted something more this time.

BTW F&B TB's sells a 6 pack for your Hemi also.... For that next big build.

Reactions: Daubie3
And a thanks back at you. I did the stock look the first time around and wanted something more this time.

BTW F&B TB's sells a 6 pack for your Hemi also.... For that next big build.

I have seen pictures of the Gen3 6 packs but didn't know who made them.
If I ever get a chance to build a early mid 60's MOPAR car, I would definitely like to run something like that for sure....
Never say never, right..🤔🤔

Reactions: Wildman
Got the rest of the pieces yesterday to make my air intake.
It's 4" mandrel bent stainless steel tubing. Ought to breath ok..
I put the filter element just forward of the fan blast hoping it'll catch a little cooler air. I'll watch the IAT and see if I'll need to fab a heat shield for the filter.

I guess I'm the only one that liked the drier vent set up..🤪

IMG_20230304_190019877.jpg

IMG_20230304_190030124_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230304_190111339_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230304_190049620_HDR.jpg

This makes me want to put all my remaining mods on hold and do a Hemi swap. Nicely done.

Thank you very much..

The best thing about the Wrangler is that they are very capable right from the factory, but they are also a blank canvas for the individual artist in all of us to turn into our own masterpiece unlike any others.
I see so many TJ/LJ's on here that I think I would love to have one like that! You know, long arm kit, 60's f&r, coil overs, full body armor, 48 point chromolly full welded cage and on an on... Then the reality of it is that wouldn't really work for me anymore in what I want a TJ for. I used to do a lot of off-road 40 some years ago and would still enjoy it but probably won't because of acquiring many other hobbies along the way since then that I enjoy also and we all know how limited our time is.
WOW, what just happened there???
That all just kinda oozed out....
I was just going to say, COOL, if you're wanting to do a HEMI swap then I would do it sooner than later and build the rest of your ride accordingly.. I think most (not all) other mods are more straight forward, easier to install and don't alter the complete operation of the vehicle like a drivetrain swap does.
Again, blank canvas for the individual artist in us all....

I gotta stop replying to these when I'm sleep deprived..😁😁

At this point now, I'm for all practical purposes done with the conversion short of getting the AC lines made, installed and charged. Hope to have a couple of shops somewhat near by look at it and see if they can make them. I most likely will add a remote oil filter setup in the near future when I do my first oil change.

What I'm doing now since our weather is all over the place, mostly bad, is changing out all the factory speakers for some Kicker's, including the blown out factory sub. Don't plan on adding any amps or replacing the headunit, just wanting a little better sound without breaking the bank and easy install..

Got the rest of the pieces yesterday to make my air intake.
It's 4" mandrel bent stainless steel tubing. Ought to breath ok..
I put the filter element just forward of the fan blast hoping it'll catch a little cooler air. I'll watch the IAT and see if I'll need to fab a heat shield for the filter.

I guess I'm the only one that liked the drier vent set up..🤪

View attachment 404924

View attachment 404925

View attachment 404926

View attachment 404927

I really think you should talk to a guy with a 3d printer and mod that intake cover to read "Jeep Wrangler" instead of Dodge Magnum. It would be pretty easy to do...Grind the existing letters flat, import an image file of the font for Jeep Wrangler (those are all over the web for the sticker people) and then grow a base to match. Some High temp Epoxy and silver paint...you'd be all set!

Great Job by the way. It's cool to see someone do a "budget" hemi swap, working alone in their garage.

I really think you should talk to a guy with a 3d printer and mod that intake cover to read "Jeep Wrangler" instead of Dodge Magnum. It would be pretty easy to do...Grind the existing letters flat, import an image file of the font for Jeep Wrangler (those are all over the web for the sticker people) and then grow a base to match. Some High temp Epoxy and silver paint...you'd be all set!

Great Job by the way. It's cool to see someone do a "budget" hemi swap, working alone in their garage.

I definitely agree about the Dodge Magnum on the intake box. The 06 and later ones don't have that on them, only the HEMI part. To expensive to buy one just for that reason so I have given thought to grinding that off and either leaving it like that or buying "Jeep" emblems for a Grand Cherokee and using that. I like your idea of the 3D printed emblem. I might look into that and see what I can come up with.. Will the 3D printed plastics hold up to under hood heat? I don't know what the melting point is on the material. Yes, good idea because I don't like the Dodge part on the Jeep and will at the very least remove it at some point.

Also, I really like that you put "Budget" in quotes...

I guess budget doesn't always mean cheap, just within what was expected, right?? 😁

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
I definitely agree about the Dodge Magnum on the intake box. The 06 and later ones don't have that on them, only the HEMI part. To expensive to buy one just for that reason so I have given thought to grinding that off and either leaving it like that or buying "Jeep" emblems for a Grand Cherokee and using that. I like your idea of the 3D printed emblem. I might look into that and see what I can come up with.. Will the 3D printed plastics hold up to under hood heat? I don't know what the melting point is on the material. Yes, good idea because I don't like the Dodge part on the Jeep and will at the very least remove it at some point.

Also, I really like that you put "Budget" in quotes...

I guess budget doesn't always mean cheap, just within what was expected, right?? 😁

Before I went to the cowl intake, I did just that to the stock Hemi intake box. Ground off the old 5.7 Hemi logo, cleaned up the surface and painted it black, and added a 392 emblem. I thought it looked pretty cool, and wish I could have kept it on there.

Reactions: Wildman and Daubie3
Before I went to the cowl intake, I did just that to the stock Hemi intake box. Ground off the old 5.7 Hemi logo, cleaned up the surface and painted it black, and added a 392 emblem. I thought it looked pretty cool, and wish I could have kept it on there.

I think yours only had the HEMI wordage on it, correct not the Dodge part?

I'm sure it would be somewhat expensive, but your build would be very cool with a "Shaker" air scoop from a Scat Pack Challenger. It would definitely go with the "392" theme and would keep IAT's down...
Don't know that I've seen any Wrangler's with that so it would be extra cool....
I know, something else to think about modding..😁

Reactions: Wildman
I'm sure it would be somewhat expensive, but your build would be very cool with a "Shaker" air scoop from a Scat Pack Challenger. It would definitely go with the "392" theme and would keep IAT's down...
Don't know that I've seen any Wrangler's with that so it would be extra cool....
I know, something else to think about modding..😁

I actually looked really, really hard at doing just that. Even went so far as finding an actual shaker vent assembly from a Challenger. But, the real ones are damn near as big as the entire jeep hood…

Not any performance things today, but I did change out all the old speakers for Kickers.
5 1/4 in the dash, 6 1/2 in the overhead and 6 3/4 sub woofer in the console. Head unit and amp still factory. Made a huge difference. Won't win any system contests, but nice improvement for the money and effort. I did put poly fil in all the enclosures which always helps on the low end.. I also had to add 2 screws to the side of the console above the sub woofer to keep it from buzzing real bad with the new sub.

IMG_20230305_173901910.jpg

IMG_20230305_173836140.jpg

Not any performance things today, but I did change out all the old speakers for Kickers.
5 1/4 in the dash, 6 1/2 in the overhead and 6 3/4 sub woofer in the console. Head unit and amp still factory. Made a huge difference. Won't win any system contests, but nice improvement for the money and effort. I did put poly fil in all the enclosures which always helps on the low end.. I also had to add 2 screws to the side of the console above the sub woofer to keep it from buzzing real bad with the new sub.

View attachment 405199

View attachment 405200

I’ve been thinking about trimming the factory grill out of there. I’m running the same speaker, and I’m pretty sure the surround is hitting the plastic. I haven’t been able to find anything to replace it with, though, that also won’t interfere with the seatbelt.

I’ve been thinking about trimming the factory grill out of there. I’m running the same speaker, and I’m pretty sure the surround is hitting the plastic. I haven’t been able to find anything to replace it with, though, that also won’t interfere with the seatbelt.

I really don't think that the surround is hitting the grill on mine. I initially thought that was the problem, but on close inspection it doesn't appear to. When I pushed the area above the grill against the sub box the buzz completely went away, so that is why I added the 2 extra screws. You might check yours and see if you might have the same thing going on..

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
First, really nice work. Really makes me want to get going on mine.
As far as the sound system, maybe start another thread on that.
I think yours was the manual tranny right? Please let us know how much fun that is to drive!