Did I just purchase a problem?

LJtheunicorn

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought this 2004 blue LJ and I went over this thing like crazy and everything looked flawless with zero rust. I get home today to take the chrome steps off and I am crawling around under neath again. Except this time I spot rust inside the frame by the front lower control arms...... I should have caught this before but having already purchased this, how bad did I screw up?

2004 LJ 83k miles

first picture is passenger side
Second is driver side

I stuck a scope inside some of the holes but I guess I missed these two.

I will scope around some more later tonight when my neighbor gets home with the scope.

B77813D4-2FE1-45F3-964E-AB64046AE167.jpg

4A0D15A5-9B21-4FF2-95FC-24D2418B7FFD.jpg

BB2A82A4-62AC-46ED-9C3D-B3134F1A3CC2.jpg

Appears to be surface rust, which isnt bad but also isnt good, really bad surface rust is what can transpire into rot. Which then you should be scared

100% screwed. I’ll gladly take it off your hands though. 😁

jokes aside, it’s not bad at all. Clean the areas and take some Eastwood Internal Frame Paint to it.

Reactions: Ron505
I bought this 2004 blue LJ and I went over this thing like crazy and everything looked flawless with zero rust. I get home today to take the chrome steps off and I am crawling around under neath again. Except this time I spot rust inside the frame by the front lower control arms...... I should have caught this before but having already purchased this, how bad did I screw up?

2004 LJ 83k miles

Second is driver side

I will scope around some more later tonight when my neighbor gets home with the scope.

View attachment 221306

View attachment 221310

View attachment 221312
Nobody likes a show off. But seriously most people wish there’s looked that good. Drain holes would probably still be a good idea though.

2004 LJ 83k miles

Second is driver side

View attachment 221306

View attachment 221310

View attachment 221312
Congratulations on the purchase. Welcome to the club.

Reactions: John Cooper
Nobody likes a show off. But seriously most people wish there’s looked that good. Drain holes would probably still be a good idea though.
Mainly pissed off I didn’t catch this before. We made 2 trips to check it out before pulling the trigger
The rust isn’t the problem. Your wife figuring out how of control you are in about 6 months is the problem.
That’s still not the problem, her being 100% ok with every purchase towards the Jeep is the problem! I’m the one having to tell her no

God! That isn't even surface rust! Come up to the rust belt. Brand new vehicles on the dealership lot have more rust than that. For real! And living down there it should last forever with the tiniest bit of care. You southern and western folks have no idea how lucky you are. And you even get to have a gun rack!