Did I just purchase a problem?

Think about drilling a hole in the bottom of the frame rails near the rear control arms. As is, water will still pool in frame.
I have seen this referenced so I went and searched out a "how to" and cannot find one. I am looking for phtotos of the exaxt location and how big the holes should be.

I just bought a clean frame TJ and live in PA so I am planning on coating the interior with Eastwood and thinking about also adding the frame drain hoes as well. I don't want to worry about frame rust after I spent so much time trying to find a rust free frame.

Reactions: Ron505
Haha, definitely not. That’s just surface rust. Use something like Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and the frame will outlive you.
Is there a how to write up for this? I have seen it mentioned many times, but there are plenty of much more skilled and experienced people on here than me!

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
Is there a how to write up for this? I have seen it mentioned many times, but there are plenty of much more skilled and experienced people on here than me!
I would love a clear start to finish How to on Eastwood (including prep) and adding drain holes to the frame. I cannot find it anywhere, maybe my search is not clearly defined enough.

I would love a clear start to finish How to on Eastwood (including prep) and adding drain holes to the frame. I cannot find it anywhere, maybe my search is not clearly defined enough.
This site has spoiled us and set a standard for quality write-ups, a simple YouTube video from bubbajoe will no longer be good enough for me......

That is not frame rust....This is frame rust
1611760815580.png

I bought this 2004 blue LJ and I went over this thing like crazy and everything looked flawless with zero rust. I get home today to take the chrome steps off and I am crawling around under neath again. Except this time I spot rust inside the frame by the front lower control arms...... I should have caught this before but having already purchased this, how bad did I screw up?

2004 LJ 83k miles

first picture is passenger side
Second is driver side

I stuck a scope inside some of the holes but I guess I missed these two.

I will scope around some more later tonight when my neighbor gets home with the scope.

View attachment 221306

View attachment 221310

View attachment 221312

I have to know. Would you have turned this Jeep down if you had seen this before purchasing?

No, but I don’t think it even needs a write-up. It’s just spraying as much of it as you can inside the frame. Simple as that 👍

I have to know. Would you have turned this Jeep down if you had seen this before purchasing?
Not immediately, I probably would've done a lot more scoping inside the frame and then reached out here for a solution process first.
No, but I don’t think it even needs a write-up. It’s just spraying as much of it as you can inside the frame. Simple as that 👍
Do I remove bumpers then stick a dryer vent cleaner on my drill and ream the whole frame before applying the frame coating to the entire thing? Or do you just magnet inside and remove as many specs as you can and spray directly over the rust?

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Not immediately, I probably would've done a lot more scoping inside the frame and then reached out here for a solution process first.

Do I remove bumpers then stick a dryer vent cleaner on my drill and ream the whole frame before applying the frame coating to the entire thing? Or do you just magnet inside and remove as many specs as you can and spray directly over the rust?
Nice, that looks to be in excellent condition. good purchase.

You won't be able to access the interior of the frame like you are thinking without the bumpers but it is a good idea to remove them and treat any rust you can find.

IMG_5595.jpeg
IMG_5547.jpeg

You won't be able to access the interior of the frame like you are thinking without the bumpers but it is a good idea to remove them and treat any rust you can find.
Thanks for bursting my bubble...... I was hoping to be onto something there! so do you just magnet out what you can and coat over the rest?

Thanks for bursting my bubble...... I was hoping to be onto something there! so do you just magnet out what you can and coat over the rest?
This is why it needs a write up. There is no clear A to z of how to proceed and I see this asked (because I searched for the write up) over and over. Any pro's want to take a stab at an A to Z write up of how to clean, prep and treat a frame (All level of rust: surface rust, slightly rusty and clean) to prevent rust of the frame?

View attachment 221455

Life in the rust belt...
I run a high strength magnet through the frame, followed by a hose attached to my shop vac. That gets most of the loose stuff out. Then I coat it with Eastwood internal frame coating.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly