Difference in Coax for CB vs GMRS vs Ham?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Is there any difference in the type of coax that one should use for a CB radio vs GMRS vs Ham?

I used this for my CB, and am wondering if I should do the same when I install a dual-band Ham.

There shouldn't be so long as the coax cable you purchased shows markings on the side to the effect that it is 50 ohm impedance for that coax. I'd also say that you should run as short of a coax length as possible. 18 feet seems a bit excessive for the tj, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

If you wanted to upgrade, there are lower loss coax cables available from reputable ham and CB vendors

Reactions: Zorba and SSTJ
Generally speaking, no difference at all. However like many things you can get various qualities. I have the same one you linked for my CB and planned to use it for my HAM/GMRS too.

Reactions: SSTJ
Cable selection is based on several criteria: Characteristic impedance, which should be 50 ohms for CB, GMRS, and Ham. Cost - you usually get what you pay for. Shielding - this is the metal cover over the dielectric. More shielding means less interference.
Couple of other things to look at - all coax has a minimum bending radius; if you bend it too tight you will collapse the dielectric and cause a change in impedance which usually results in energy reflections back into your transmitter (bad). Connectors - make sure you can either a) install the cable and connectors for your application or b) buy extra connectors, solder, etc. Screw on connectors are usually not suitable. If you don't know how to solder (not solder plumbing!) elex, just go to a CB or Ham shop and pay to have it installed. Why spend several hundred dollars for gear and several hours of installation time, then go cheap on the cable?
Here is what I would use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT1IWU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Good luck!

Reactions: SSTJ
So, I ordered 9' of RG-58 coax, but received 9' of RG-8X. From what I've read, it's a little bit better, with lower loss, and is not much thicker (if at all) than my other RG-58 that I used for the CB. I'll just consider it a free upgrade unless anyone has a reason to recommend that I return it.

Rg-8X is a slightly smaller diameter than RG-8 and should work fine. It's good to over 1000W, so no problems. Just don't bend it too sharply.