Do-anything LJ build advice

I’ve got the rear axle yarded for the ARB install. Not sure how much elbow grease (Brake-Kleen) I need to put into cleaning the housing. Does this look good?
IMG_8345.jpeg

IMG_8347.jpeg

Also, the old pinion bearings are Timkin, but the new ones are Koyo. Any advice for finding/making a setup race for the inner pinion bearing? I do not want to install and remove the final race a bunch of times.

Same brand and part # setup bearing would be best.

I can't see the nooks and crannies of the diff but some compressed air and brake clean should suffice.

Reactions: Marklar1983
@hosejockey61, this is my first ARB install. Do I put the carrier shims between the seal housing and bearing cup, or between the seal housing and the Dana 44 master shim? The ARB manual shows the shims inside, but the text says to put them outside. Which is correct?

@hosejockey61, this is my first ARB install. Do I put the carrier shims between the seal housing and bearing cup, or between the seal housing and the Dana 44 master shim? The ARB manual shows the shims inside, but the text says to put them outside. Which is correct?

The seal housing is on the left (ring gear side) as you're looking at it. The bearings get pressed on first with no shims. The seal housing has shims and an ARB master shim that go between it and the race off the bearing. The thicker OEM shim goes to the outside of the seal housing and against the axle housing. The other side also gets an ARB master shim and idea the OEM shim to the outside. Sometimes you need to make adjustments that will not allow you to use the OEM shim.

The seal housing is on the left (ring gear side) as you're looking at it. The bearings get pressed on first with no shims. The seal housing has shims and an ARB master shim that go between it and the race off the bearing. The thicker OEM shim goes to the outside of the seal housing and against the axle housing. The other side also gets an ARB master shim and idea the OEM shim to the outside. Sometimes you need to make adjustments that will not allow you to use the OEM shim.

That’s the clarity I needed, thanks!

I’ve got the rear axle yarded for the ARB install. Not sure how much elbow grease (Brake-Kleen) I need to put into cleaning the housing. Does this look good?
View attachment 517027

View attachment 517028

Also, the old pinion bearings are Timkin, but the new ones are Koyo. Any advice for finding/making a setup race for the inner pinion bearing? I do not want to install and remove the final race a bunch of times.

Just make sure the bearing race seats are clean when you drive them in. Also, didn't forget to cut an oil return slot on the right side as you're looking at it. There is one on the left, I usually make them a little bigger.

Just make sure the bearing race seats are clean when you drive them in. Also, didn't forget to cut an oil return slot on the right side as you're looking at it. There is one on the left, I usually make them a little bigger.

I cut a drain on the left (ring gear) side; I think the right already has a channel. I’ll check tonite. Rear Dana 44, didn’t mention that above.
IMG_8345.jpeg

I cut a drain on the left (ring gear) side; I think the right already has a channel. I’ll check tonite. Rear Dana 44, didn’t mention that above.
View attachment 519041

That's the place I'm talking about, do it to both sides. I usually wait until I'm doing final install as they can catch the shims going in. It's a PITA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marklar1983
That's the place I'm talking about, do it to both sides. I usually wait until I'm doing final install as they can catch the shims going in. It's a PITA.

Ok, pattern #9. I’m getting close, but the pinion is still a little too deep, I think. Or, I used too much GMC. Is that a concern?
IMG_8417.jpeg

IMG_8421.jpeg