Do I really need a transfer case drop kit for a 4" lift?

Yes, the stock transfer case hangs ridiculously low as it is. Making it hang lower with a transfer case drop kit is sort of counter productive to the entire point of a lift. Unless of course the lift is for looks only (but even then it looks stupid with the TC hanging so low), in which case you wouldn't have to worry about it hanging so low.

My TJ had the TC drop installed when I got it. It won't get lifted beyond the 3" it has so it is hard to justify a SYE / DC driveshaft. I absolutely hate the look of the dropped skid. Will a MML allow me to get enough driveline angle to be able to remove the TC drop? I replaced the control arms with adjustables so I should be able to arrive at a suitable pinion angle.

My TJ had the TC drop installed when I got it. It won't get lifted beyond the 3" it has so it is hard to justify a SYE / DC driveshaft. I absolutely hate the look of the dropped skid. Will a MML allow me to get enough driveline angle to be able to remove the TC drop? I replaced the control arms with adjustables so I should be able to arrive at a suitable pinion angle.
I have a Browndog 1" MML and JKS 1.25" BL with 3" BDS springs and i don't have any vibes. But as been stated throughout the forum, every TJ is different and you just need to try it and see what your TJ needs. When I had a 2" puck lift and no MML, I had vibes. The MML and BL solved that and luckily works with the new 3" springs.

No, you'll still need a SYE and DC driveshaft. The MML is still a welcome addition though as it will make the driveshaft angle not as extreme.

1545337888439.png

I'm starting to feel really convicted fellas--a growing entanglement of emotional knots, deep within my innards :(.

I bought my latest Jeep in 2013, with a 4.5 TeraFlex lift installed, which actually gave it a full 5" of lift.

Been steadily wheeling since then. I've often returned home with 58 to 67 lbs of mud caked-into the top of my xfer case skid pan--and with new scrapes on the pan.

It wasn't until recently that @b0xcar, while we wheeled at Hidden Falls (TX), pointed-out I had an xfer case drop. I've been wheeling all this time without an SYE.

1545338869177.png

I've always thought the steady, albeit subtle vibration felt in my Jeep, was the hum and road-friction from my M/T tires.

I'm coming clean, fellas. An SYE is on my To-Do list.

1545339034464.png

Reactions: KCsTJ
A transfer case drop is really not that big of a deal. Depending on your terrain and what you do, it may not even matter.

You’ve been wheeling with it for five years, if it was truly that much of an issue it would have come to light a long time ago.

A transfer case drop is really not that big of a deal. Depending on your terrain and what you do, it may not even matter.

You’ve been wheeling with it for five years, if it was truly that much of an issue it would have come to light a long time ago.

What's funny, is that on many occasions, while crawling over sizeable rocks over the years, and while hearing the characteristic "conk!" of the skid plate, I've thought to myself, "If only that plate were just a few inches higher."

Ignorance is bliss :)--until yer fellow wheelers expose yer sin.

1545341785678.png

No, you'll still need a SYE and DC driveshaft. The MML is still a welcome addition though as it will make the driveshaft angle not as extreme.
Thanks Chris. I was hoping the 3" lift would have let me cheat a bit with the MML. Guess the SYE will go on the list after the regear. Appreciate the info!

Trying to figure out if I can remove my 1in TC drop with a 3.5in lift on a rubicon (don't need a SYE right?) with stock drive shafts and control arms. Would that be safe to remove without other modifications or is it a do it and see if there are any vibrations with this setup?

Trying to figure out if I can remove my 1in TC drop with a 3.5in lift on a rubicon (don't need a SYE right?) with stock drive shafts and control arms. Would that be safe to remove without other modifications or is it a do it and see if there are any vibrations with this setup?

It won't work.

The SYE that we don't need on a Rubicon only allows the use of a double cardan rear drive shaft and adjustable control arms. Those are the necessary pieces.

Ok good to know. What else would I need to remove it...just a drive shaft or adjustable control arms too?

A motor mount lift can only help. By itself, it would allow less of a transfer case drop.

Thanks @jjvw. Hard to parse to all the information sometimes that doesn't account for the rubicon differences.
The only meaningful difference is the already eliminated slip yoke. And the digital speedo. All the other concerns still apply.

The problem you may have seen out in the wild is that there is a lot of misinformation on the Rubicon.

Just the rear uppers or both in the rear? I'll add this to the wish list but was hoping I could lose the TC drop for an easy tweak but no big deal.

Just the rear uppers or both in the rear? I'll add this to the wish list but was hoping I could lose the TC drop for an easy tweak but no big deal.
Uppers at the absolute minimum. The tcase drop can be removed once the CV driveshaft is properly installed which requires the pinion angle be properly set with the adjustable control arms.

Just the rear uppers. It's always nice to have uppers and lowers, but technically you only need the adjustable uppers.