Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

The TJ1001 is straight from China, the interface is the Windows CE type radio. That is what is installed in my LJ but the Chineese version that is 1/4 of the cost of the TJ1001 that I picked up back in 2013.

Only thing they added a custom boot logo to it that shows Insane Audio vs. Jeep.

how do you like you windows ce version?

how do you like you windows ce version?

It works, I’ve had it since 2013 and as you can imagine with technology it’s outdated. It’s got Maps, Bluetooth and some other functions I don’t use. Interface could be a little nicer. I’ve seen posts where guys can bypass the stock interface and run windows in the rear but I see no use for that.

One thing I’m not impressed with is the audio presets and audio output. I have Polk 5.25s in the real, Polk 5.25s crossovers in the front with tweeters and a Kicker CompRT sub to replace my blown factory one (same size and ohm rating so it’s a direct swap) and the sound could be better.

If I didnt have other priorities and the double din bezel didn’t cost a fortune I’d replace it with a true 2DIN stereo to improve the UI (car play etc) and sound experience.

I
It works, I’ve had it since 2013 and as you can imagine with technology it’s outdated. It’s got Maps, Bluetooth and some other functions I don’t use. Interface could be a little nicer. I’ve seen posts where guys can bypass the stock interface and run windows in the rear but I see no use for that.

One thing I’m not impressed with is the audio presets and audio output. I have Polk 5.25s in the real, Polk 5.25s crossovers in the front with tweeters and a Kicker CompRT sub to replace my blown factory one (same size and ohm rating so it’s a direct swap) and the sound could be better.

If I didnt have other priorities and the double din bezel didn’t cost a fortune I’d replace it with a true 2DIN stereo to improve the UI (car play etc) and sound experience.

Amazon has a 2D bezel that is under $100 bucks. Avoid the Metra version. I’ll see if I can find the decent version and post it.

Hi all. I'm new here and I have a 2005 Wrangler. Looking to do a couple of things to the Jeep. I really like the Insane Audio tj1002 but the cost is just too much. I don't see a lot of people talking about the idea of using a different OEM radio. Something like these? I don't need anything too fancy. Bluetooth to my iphone is my primary feature. Feedback apprecated!

2004 - 2007 Jeep Liberty Radio DVD Navigation P56038629AH

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=202495544242
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=401399897049

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The RB1 in the first link doesn't really support bluetooth any better than the stock 05 deck. It's a bit quirky too, I'd steer clear of that one. You can modify your own factory radio just like the second one, it wont be great but it'll work. I don't think any of the factory decks really play well with bluetooth no matter what ebay says.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I really like the ease and compatibility of the unit that @badlieutenant has, but having a hard time finding a reliable, updated, non-Windows version.

@Leinhit - that ATOTO looks enormous, I have a 2005 so looks like I'd have to go with bezel replacement plus cutting out some of the inside plastic.

The units on Amazon seem to be WindowsCE:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R9Z1H2H/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But this ebay version says Android 9. @jp14

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=303253725033
Also
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=113855308377
I haven't bought anything on Ebay for a long time, but the seller seems reputable (providing those aren't manufactured reviews)

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@badlieutenant Thanks so much, this radio is fantastic! Exactly what I was looking for!

As it's a slightly different model than was originally posted, I'll give a quick review of my experience. Bought this unit on Ebay, shipping only took 4 days and the item was well packed.

Install was about as easy as changing a light-bulb. All the cables and harnesses were keyed so you could close your eyes and get that connected up. Trim pieces pop right off, and there's a total of 6 screws and one (10mm) nut.
Sound- There was an immediate, noticeable improvement in sound quality and volume, even though I'm using the factory speakers.

Bluetooth hooked up to my iPhone 7 right away, can make calls, sync contacts, play music.

WIFI lets you use your phone as a hotspot while you travel. This works for google maps, youtube, or other mobile apps. Also, at a minimum you can connect to your home WIFI so you can download apps.

OBD2- Speaking of apps, I got an app called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 from the Play store, and it has all sorts of telemetry if you have a OBD 2 scanner. I have one called FIXD and it works fine. There's a paid version with more features.

Radio works great and is very easy to program. Also, has labels and music info as you'd expect.

Navigation works great if you want to use your hotspot from your phone and Google Maps or map app of your choice. It also comes with a GPS antenna and I believe you need an additional 3G or 4G service module to use that.

Backup Camera- I have the backup cam option, but opted not to connect it right now. Wiring looks straight forward enough but there are two caveats: First, you need a decent place to mount the camera. Most people seem to pull it through the center of the spare tire carrier. Since I'm planning on 33's and lift, this rear tire carrier will change. Secondly, you have to get 12V wire, most likely from your reverse lights, and I didn't want to tap into that until I get the rest sorted.

SD card- I grabbed a 64GB micro SD card and loaded it up with music and movies (it'll display pictures too). It also thankfully remembers where you left off when you stop.

Customization- They wisely let you personalize a lot of features. For example it comes loaded with images for most major auto makes so you can really give this a factory feel, or you can load your own graphic if you want. You can set the backlighting to any color you want. You can change some features of the main menus and things to make this very user friendly.

More- It has more features like outputs for audio and video for back seat screens, USB connection, DVR capabilities, and more. I haven't tried any of these yet, not sure I'll need them.

Lastly, the fit and finish of this is top notch. Knobs and buttons feel good and it fits perfectly into the factory shape.

I couldn't be more thrilled with this unit, especially for the price. Seller seems to have good support too.

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

Here's the vendor's site for a bit more detail, I may get this. I did get this on Ebay. Will let you know how it goes.
https://xtrons.com/chrysler-jeep-dodge-various-android-9-0-ps59wrjl

@pirat3j, did you have to replace your center dash part to fit this radio in? Or was it a plug and play? I read through this thread but now I'm confused regarding the center dash. It seems as though some radios or jeep years require the replacement while others don't. I have a 2003 btw.

Hi @Byhumba This was totally plug and play, no cutting or wiring. As far as I can tell, this is the only radio around that fits the exact odd factory semi-oval shape. The only hidden part was the 10mm security nut at the back of the radio, accessed from the glove box. All the harnesses hook right up and I didn't even use several of them because I wasn't using those options (video output, DVR, etc). I did put the GPS antenna in, and a wired microphone for phone calls, although there is a mic built into the front of the radio.

All you need is a Philips and a 10mm socket, maybe something to pry up the vent cover near the windshield. Radio comes with the cables and even some double sided tape for the GPS antenna. There is internal storage of 16GB but I added a 64GB microSD card for music. It looks like you can add a second SD card dedicated for map storage, I'll try that soon and report back. The idea is, put the radio on your home WIFI, jump onto Google Maps, pick a bunch of regions and download the maps locally. That way, you don't need to have hotspot or any kind of service. It's a good idea if you go to places with crappy cell service. Offline Google maps are pretty big, hundreds of MB to many GB depending on the area you're downloading. 64GB microSD cards are like $12 so I'll grab another one soon.

Greatly appreciate all the information @pirat3j ! This is exactly what I needed. Bought the last one. 🙂

Last edited: