Double DIN Android Head Unit (InsaneAudio TJ1001) Chinese Knock-Off Review

Hi @Tom D , correct, this fits the OEM opening and shape exactly for my 2005 dash. It's not single or double DIN but whatever mutant size was there originally. I'll grab a side by side if I can.

Hi @Tom D , correct, this fits the OEM opening and shape exactly for my 2005 dash. It's not single or double DIN but whatever mutant size was there originally. I'll grab a side by side if I can.
Factory is 1.5 DIN

Yessir. 1.5 DIN, although the rounded shape still makes it tricky. This unit is drop in and looks stock.

746335CB-A4D8-451D-8BAC-49702BDDC657.jpeg

@badlieutenant Thanks so much, this radio is fantastic! Exactly what I was looking for!

As it's a slightly different model than was originally posted, I'll give a quick review of my experience. Bought this unit on Ebay, shipping only took 4 days and the item was well packed.

Install was about as easy as changing a light-bulb. All the cables and harnesses were keyed so you could close your eyes and get that connected up. Trim pieces pop right off, and there's a total of 6 screws and one (10mm) nut.
Sound- There was an immediate, noticeable improvement in sound quality and volume, even though I'm using the factory speakers.

Bluetooth hooked up to my iPhone 7 right away, can make calls, sync contacts, play music.

WIFI lets you use your phone as a hotspot while you travel. This works for google maps, youtube, or other mobile apps. Also, at a minimum you can connect to your home WIFI so you can download apps.

OBD2- Speaking of apps, I got an app called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 from the Play store, and it has all sorts of telemetry if you have a OBD 2 scanner. I have one called FIXD and it works fine. There's a paid version with more features.

Radio works great and is very easy to program. Also, has labels and music info as you'd expect.

Navigation works great if you want to use your hotspot from your phone and Google Maps or map app of your choice. It also comes with a GPS antenna and I believe you need an additional 3G or 4G service module to use that.

Backup Camera- I have the backup cam option, but opted not to connect it right now. Wiring looks straight forward enough but there are two caveats: First, you need a decent place to mount the camera. Most people seem to pull it through the center of the spare tire carrier. Since I'm planning on 33's and lift, this rear tire carrier will change. Secondly, you have to get 12V wire, most likely from your reverse lights, and I didn't want to tap into that until I get the rest sorted.

SD card- I grabbed a 64GB micro SD card and loaded it up with music and movies (it'll display pictures too). It also thankfully remembers where you left off when you stop.

Customization- They wisely let you personalize a lot of features. For example it comes loaded with images for most major auto makes so you can really give this a factory feel, or you can load your own graphic if you want. You can set the backlighting to any color you want. You can change some features of the main menus and things to make this very user friendly.

More- It has more features like outputs for audio and video for back seat screens, USB connection, DVR capabilities, and more. I haven't tried any of these yet, not sure I'll need them.

Lastly, the fit and finish of this is top notch. Knobs and buttons feel good and it fits perfectly into the factory shape.

I couldn't be more thrilled with this unit, especially for the price. Seller seems to have good support too.

View attachment 113409

View attachment 113410

View attachment 113411

View attachment 113412

View attachment 113413

View attachment 113414

View attachment 113415
Would you be able to comment on the startup time and overall usability compared to a standard head unit? I have an old version (I think the same as OP) and have contemplated switching.

Hi @Damazzaro . Boot up time is close to 30 seconds but to be honest it doesn’t bother me much. Also, to make this less annoying, there’s a ‘standby’ feature you can set up to 60 minutes. That way if you’re just making a shorter stop, it instant boots.

I’ve been using it now on my daily commute for a few days and it’s great. Radio and music and Bluetooth all working well. I haven’t used the Nav much since currently I have to connect hotspot but that does work. I’m going to try offline GPS when I get a chance. I’m very pleased with this, especially for the install ease, factory look, performance and features, and price.

Very impressed! I put my order in on Monday, and arrived on Wednesday at 10am! A little over 48 hrs! This is coming from Hong Kong. Now I know why this seller got Ebay's "best seller of the year" award two years in a row (2017 and 2018). When I bought this unit it said it was the last one. Now it says "almost gone." Lol. Installing it this weekend. Can't wait!

@Byhumba Yes, my shipping was quite fast as well. Although the seller has cheaper prices on their ebay store, they seem to be a fairly big car audio shop (prices on their site are much higher) -> https://xtrons.com/chrysler-jeep-dodge-various-android-9-0-ps59wrjl

Quick update on this particular unit, even though the tech specs don't list it, I can confirm you can play .M4A (native Apple) file formats from SD card just fine. So, no need to convert any iTunes music to .MP3, you can just copy the files over. Even will include the song image data correctly.

@Byhumba Yes, my shipping was quite fast as well. Although the seller has cheaper prices on their ebay store, they seem to be a fairly big car audio shop (prices on their site are much higher) -> https://xtrons.com/chrysler-jeep-dodge-various-android-9-0-ps59wrjl

Quick update on this particular unit, even though the tech specs don't list it, I can confirm you can play .M4A (native Apple) file formats from SD card just fine. So, no need to convert any iTunes music to .MP3, you can just copy the files over. Even will include the song image data correctly.
If I were to get that one on my 1998, should I look for a new dash as well or are you guys just cutting the plastic?
This unit is really tempting!

Hi, this was an exact fit for my dash so no cutting or adapter. This unit is for 03-06. I checked the seller website and I don’t see one listed for 1998.

Could a 03-06 dash fits in a 1998? ...I guess I need to research a bit more :/
People have done the conversion with a replacement center bezel and switch panel to go with it. I think you have to do some cutting and custom work to make it all work. There are a few write-ups floating around. You might also look into double din conversions. Until these android decks there wasn't much reason to change to the round style deck, people normally just went single or double din.

I have an 03 Rubicon that has only 4 speakers - is it possible to add a powered sub like the sound ordnance to this head unit? I really like how it looks factory, slightly upgraded with the screen but still a clean factory look!

Hi @bobmono My 05 has a subwoofer in the center console. This unit is sending sound there. There’s a wiring diagram on top of the radio that may help.

C5557BD7-FF19-49ED-A0ED-2B6674797F89.jpeg

An update - I installed my unit. As @pirat3j said, plug and play. Straightforward. Love the features! My only problem is that my subwoofer doesn't work. I put everything back together and didn't realize that. I'll have to take it apart again and see what happened. There is nothing specific you did to make the subwoofer work, right @pirat3j ?

Edit: checked again and all wiring seems to be there, including wire #13. This is the wire that sends a signal to the amp. I made sure the radio has the "amp exit" enabled and still no sound going to my subwoofer. I install my OEM radio and signal to subwoofer is back. Hmm...

Last edited:
So, uhm, I ordered a Chinese knockoff stereo for the LJ. There is nothing else like it on the market. The closest thing is the InsaneAudio TJ1001... but I'd argue that the Chinese knockoff is better. It runs Android... I wish it ran iOS but that'll never happen.

You can get it here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M071MDQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 4487

View attachment 4488

Since it runs android, I've installed Pandora, Netflix, Google Maps, and Plex!

It's freakin amazing. Looks stock too.
Wow. That's looks amazing. Thanks for posting. What was the cost for this? Do you have a link so I can get one?

Any luck with getting the sub to work? I just installed mine as well with no sound going to the sub.

An update - I installed my unit. As @pirat3j said, plug and play. Straightforward. Love the features! My only problem is that my subwoofer doesn't work. I put everything back together and didn't realize that. I'll have to take it apart again and see what happened. There is nothing specific you did to make the subwoofer work, right @pirat3j ?

Edit: checked again and all wiring seems to be there, including wire #13. This is the wire that sends a signal to the amp. I made sure the radio has the "amp exit" enabled and still no sound going to my subwoofer. I install my OEM radio and signal to subwoofer is back. Hmm...