Eaton TrueTrac

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
While doing research for possible upgrades on my TJ, I discovered an interesting note in the Eaton differentials install manual and owners guide. After wading through all of the information on the Detroit Locker and a couple of other Eaton products, I finally got to the TrueTrac overview portion of the guide.

Here is the note: "NOTE Truetrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance on the ground to start the power transfer. A Truetrac differential may not transfer power if the spinning wheel is off the ground. If spinning occurs, a light application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will generate sufficient resistance in the spinning wheel to actuate the Truetrac differential and transfer torque to the other wheel."

@Jerry Bransford talked about this technique in his discussion of locking differentials in reference to open differentials. It's pretty common knowledge that TrueTracs don't work all that well when used where lifting a wheel could be an issue. Apparently Eaton knows this as well, and threw a note in there on how to address it.

HMMWVs (Humvees) uses trutrac type LSD, NOT lockers. And military Humvee training consists of learning to brake while wheels in the air. Without this knowledge the Humvee is USELESS.

This is a buddy of mine saturday....2 wheels in the air most of the ride straight up a hill...but with proper braking handled like lockers.

hummer2.jpg

They have the geared LSD....I'm not 100% sure the mfg, but it is the same basis as the trutrac.

This is easy to accomplish in a Humvee since it's an auto and a rather weak 6.2L diesel. But it'd be a nightmare two-step to try and do in a straight drive Jeep

Reactions: Mudflap and Chris
I ra
HMMWVs (Humvees) uses trutrac type LSD, NOT lockers. And military Humvee training consists of learning to brake while wheels in the air. Without this knowledge the Humvee is USELESS.

This is a buddy of mine saturday....2 wheels in the air most of the ride straight up a hill...but with proper braking handled like lockers.
Even when proper braking technique is used, Detroit Truetracs don't even come even close to performing like a locker. I ran f/r Truetracs in my previous TJ for years and believed the same thing until I got onto trails tough enough to actually require lockers. Even with much effort placed into using my brakes every which way to get the Truetracs to "hook up", they were still totally ineffective on trails tough enough to require a real locker. It was extremely frustrating once I discovered the limitations of my f/r Detroit Truetracs. That's when I said 'enough' and replaced both Truetracs with true lockers. There is a night and day difference between Truetracs, even with the proper braking technique, and real lockers.

Reactions: StG58
He came over to my house to take my kids for a ride last year when we got 2" of ice in another one of his purchases

hummer1.jpg

@Chris he's paying between $4500 and $5500 for them. Sign up and watch the auctions...they're pretty exciting.

I ra
Even when proper braking technique is used, Detroit Truetracs don't even come even close to performing like a locker.

I cannot speak for the detroit trutracs. But the gear driven LSD's in the Humvee engaged the wheel on the ground while the opposite wheel(s) in the air with braking enough to power it over the gatekeeper with only 2 wheels touching the ground

IThere is a night and day difference between Truetracs, even with the proper braking technique, and real lockers.

But having said that...your posts on various forums talked me OUT of trutracs and into e-lockers for myself

Reactions: Chris
I ra
Even when proper braking technique is used, Detroit Truetracs don't even come even close to performing like a locker. I ran f/r Truetracs in my previous TJ for years and believed the same thing until I got onto trails tough enough to actually require lockers. Even with much effort placed into using my brakes every which way to get the Truetracs to "hook up", they were still totally ineffective on trails tough enough to require a real locker. It was extremely frustrating once I discovered the limitations of my f/r Detroit Truetracs. That's when I said 'enough' and replaced both Truetracs with true lockers. There is a night and day difference between Truetracs, even with the proper braking technique, and real lockers.

Don't doubt that for a minute Jerry. Don't doubt that for a minute.

What in the world is your buddy going to do with that Hemitt? It looks like a monster. We have several deuce and halves running around here in various stages of modification and restoration, and I thought they were big.

The way I understood the hummers you have to sign an agreement to not drive on roads?

No. They're NOT issued with titled, and the paperwork STATES "off-road only" but so do KTM dirtbike titles :cool: meaning there "ways" and are states where you can title them. And ways to do so...but it's a pain in the ass. But if you're willing to do the legwork you can resell them for $10k-$20k WITH a title....but like I said...PITA

GovPlanet relinquishes all responsibility of them NOT meeting DOT standards for airbags etc required for all motor vehicles mfg after XXXX date in doing so. You have to fill out the End-Use Certificates (EUC) declairing YOU are not a terrorist and you're not reselling to a terrorist....etc and those documents take 30-60 days.

Last edited:
No. They're NOT issued with titled, and the paperwork STATES "off-road only" but so do KTM dirtbike titles :cool: meaning there "ways" and are states where you can title them. And ways to do so...but it's a pain in the ass. But if you're willing to do the legwork you can resell them for $10k-$20k WITH a title....but like I said...PITA

GovPlanet relinquishes all responsibility of them NOT meeting DOT standards for airbags etc required for all motor vehicles mfg after XXXX date in doing so. You have to fill out the End-Use Certificates (EUC) declairing YOU are not a terrorist and you're not reselling to a terrorist....etc and those documents take 30-60 days.

Oh bummer! I don't know why but for some reason I thought you could drive them on-road (easily). That takes the fun out of it.