Electric Crate Motors

With something like a manual hooked up to an electric motor and then through a transfer case, I think that would definitely take some getting used to and a lot of trial and error.

I go back to the existence of the transmission. What is it for? Why is there a need to shift gears?

I go back to the existence of the transmission. What is it for? Why is there a need to shift gears?

Crawl / Wheel speed for certain obstacles. An electric motor can wing up to a pretty high RPM, but it starts to lose power as you move up in the RPM band (this is why a Tesla smokes a Ferrari from the starting line but loses in a quarter mile). Maybe you lose power at more than a linear rate so that lower RPM through less gear gives an advantage? Not sure.

He might also want to put the motor at a disadvantage in certain scenarios to not snap stuff. Neutral would also be nice to have if can't shut the power completely off. In low range, that motor would just push right through the brakes if it was hooked straight to a transfer case.

A lot of this depends on what type of motor he is running and how it is setup. I can't imagine a rock buggy like that has a very elegant motor setup like a Tesla would.

Reactions: jjvw
If I hit the lottery, I would buy this in a heartbeat. Love the idea of instant power and quiet. Crazy fast.
1571408922094.png

I would want some type of "driveline shock absorber" to protect me from snapping everything if my tire gets jammed up (especially with a clutch). I don't know much about how electric cars do this since the motors are pretty much directly attached to the wheels. Tesla definitely has some software trickery going on whenever you hit the gas pedal. It isn't like you have a throttle cable in a TJ. I bet the software on electric cars takes care of all of that.

With something like a manual hooked up to an electric motor and then through a transfer case, I think that would definitely take some getting used to and a lot of trial and error.

Yeah, they dwarf their cars in software. For example the ModelX has to be in its lowest height setting to get full power to the wheels. I'm sure when the motors become more common there will be other weak links beyond software built into the driveline so you break ujoints instead of axles.

This isn't happening anytime soon, but I took a moment to see what the frame cuts would look like.
View attachment 120626

I did the layout from scratch the way it made sense to me which ended up matching the one and only example of this I have found.

View attachment 120627

View attachment 120630

View attachment 120629

View attachment 120628

Something I am realizing is that once the body lift gap goes away, the bumper can't be removed from above and the gas tank skid can't be removed without removing the bumper. This will mean neither the bumper or the skid can be removed unless the body gets unbolted and lifted up. I doubt it matters much since I haven't needed to remove either things more than twice in 6 years.

Did you mean to post this in your build thread? :)

• Haha
No, a transmission or gears is not required. A DC motor has most of its torque at lower speeds. I work in industry and we have many applications of DC and AC motors with no gearbox, then we have some that do have gearboxes. As long as you have a VFD you can control the motor however you want.
I believe Tesla has a single gear reduction just so the motor can run at rated speed at FLA and not be too much rpm for axles. I dont think they are using a VFD, but with their computer system there is no telling.

IMO I don't see gasoline ever going away completely. There are way too many classic cars out there.

Last edited:
No, a transmission or gears is not required. A DC motor has most of its torque at lower speeds. I work in industry and we have many applications of DC and AC motors with no gearbox, then we have some that do have gearboxes. As long as you have a VFD you can control the motor however you want.
I believe Tesla has a single gear reduction just so the motor can run at rates speed at FLA and not be too much rpm for axles. I dont think they are using a VFD, but with their computer system there is no telling.

IMO I don't see gasoline ever going away completely. There are way too many classic cars out there.

FLA and VFD?

I know on RC cars you need to change the gearing between the motor and TC for the type of driving you want to do, even with a speed controller you burn up motors and battery run time is less if you’re trying to crawl vs hi speed runs. So my guess would be to adjust your torque to the application.

Batteries aren't included in this kit and the conversion isn't realistic at this point in time. But once the hurdles of battery packaging, range and charging are overcome, something like this should be a good future option to keep our older Jeeps on the road and potentially make them better then they are now.
https://erevon.com/#qui-sommes-nous
"Convert your Jeep CJ, YJ or TJ to a fully Electric Vehicle
The Erevon Conversion Kits include hardware, software and installation to transform your Gas Guzzling jeep into a fully Electric Vehicle. Also available for G-Class Mercedes, Toyota Land Cruisers, and Land Rover Defenders."

Electric makes sense in a lot of applications (namely commuting). But in an off-road / overlanding application... we're very, very far away from electric being a practical solution.
Agreed for overlanding, whatever the fug that means nowadays.

An electric conversion with strong regen for downhill braking should be much, much, better for offroading. Other than cost, with a large enough battery pack its a perfect option for trailered trail rigs doing day trips. Multiple day trips should be possible with a generator carried on the tow pig or trailer.

Agreed for overlanding, whatever the fug that means nowadays.

An electric conversion with strong regen for downhill braking should be much, much, better for offroading. Other than cost, with a large enough battery pack its a perfect option for trailered trail rigs doing day trips. Multiple day trips should be possible with a generator carried on the tow pig or trailer.
For trailered rigs I see no issue. However, I think the majority of people I've ever been wheeling with aren't trailing their rigs.

Electric has it's place, don't get me wrong. I just think we're still along ways away from it being a serious contender for the weekend off-roader.

For trailered rigs I see no issue. However, I think the majority of people I've ever been wheeling with aren't trailing their rigs.

Electric has it's place, don't get me wrong. I just think we're still along ways away from it being a serious contender for the weekend off-roader.
Of the several clubs that I wheel with probably 8 of 10 trailer. Some of the rigs aren't road legal and most prefer to have a way to haul a broken rig back to their shop.

Reactions: Chris
To me, when I see the term, "Down hill braking", I see brakes burning up and being replaced way too often.
Truckers and 4 wheelers use (in most cases) lower gears to control speed.
And generators powered by fuel, kinda defeats the purpose of an E-buggy.

Reactions: TJ Starting
To me, when I see the term, "Down hill braking", I see brakes burning up and being replaced way too often.
Truckers and 4 wheelers use (in most cases) lower gears to control speed.
And generators powered by fuel, kinda defeats the purpose of an E-buggy.
There is a thing called regenerative braking to control downhill speed. And the point isn't to be green, its to have 100% torque the moment you touch the throttle.

Reactions: alittleoff

Electric certainly won't get anywhere with that attitude. :)

There is no timeframe for my curiosity surrounding this. Though I have a hunch we will all be surprised by how quickly we will begin to see things change.

A few weeks ago I toyed with the idea of building an EV Jeep and went down the rabbit hole. Conclusion - not yet feasible unless you are able to salvage, design, and or build a cutting edge 400V to 800V system using a platform other than a LJ. I figure the efficiency for a Jeep is only about 500 WH/M so to reliably travel 150 miles you want about 619 Ah capacity. The best us mortals will do off the shelf is around 160V 28,800 wh for an actual 80% range of 46 miles. That's without regen but it doesn't matter because those battery modules would weigh over 600 lbs.

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp and DrDmoney