EVATHETJ...Zero To Hero, One Part At A Time

Didn't realize just how bad the surface rust was until I removed the tire roughly 5 minutes ago. That being said, the bolts have been cooperating so far, unlike the control arms which took 8 hours to remove. I had to torch every single one out, minus the rear ones (obviously directly beside the gas tank)

Anyone else live in an area/used to live in an area where they use salt to counter winter? Talk about brutal.

View attachment 39666

I'm assuming por 15 will cover this up no problem? Anyone with experience able to chip in their 2 cents?
Check my build thread...rust experience in spades. POR is good stuff, gotta prep properly though. I've only run into one seized control arm bolt...every other one I've tried getting out or loosened up has freed up, eventually, for me.

Nice job !

Thanks!

Oh I like those fenders ! Lookin good!

Too kind, thank you! I'm still a little worried they might look too wide when I get the 12.5's on there but worst case I can go from a 6" to a 4" flare of that's the case

Check my build thread...rust experience in spades. POR is good stuff, gotta prep properly though. I've only run into one seized control arm bolt...every other one I've tried getting out or loosened up has freed up, eventually, for me.

I'll check it out right now! I was surprised that all of them were that bad to be honest. But to be fair it was 240,000 Km on the original control arms. The bushings had literally welded/solidified around the bolts. Had to cut the rubber away and try the heat for 25 minutes before finally deciding to cut them.

Thanks for the heads up on your thread, I'll give it a read as I'm sure it will come in handy for me tomorrow

Do you have to buy new flares if you go with the smaller or is there a way to make those smaller? Will they allow you to return them after you installed them?

Do you have to buy new flares if you go with the smaller or is there a way to make those smaller? Will they allow you to return them after you installed them?

Talked to the guys at Metalcloak and they said if I wasn't happy with the width once I had the tires installed I could ship the 6" flares back and they'd send me the 4" ones:)

Reactions: Kathy
Frame is complete. Isn't perfect but that was never the intention. Want it to hold out long enough until I can do a frame off resto next year

Now...to install the axles or have the body damage fixed/jeep repainted?

Looking good for sure! Definitely got to do a frame off restoration. It would be a shame to have those nice RockJock axles under there with that frame! I look forward to it, it really does look great so far.

Just got back from the local offroad park, took Eva there to check how everything runs that I've installed so far.

There's a noticeable "grinding" sound. I replaced the u joints in the driveshafts recently so I know those are good...but I know for certain the ujoints in the axles are bad.

Video to follow in the next few minutes, some one mind checking it out and letting me know if they think that's what it is? Could use some expertise here