Exogate or Bestop Tire Carrier?

How was the install? Is it a PITA as many say it is?

Not really. The hardest part was getting the bolt plate lined up inside the body to the lower hinge. That isn't easy, but you can outsmart it with a couple screw drivers to line up the hinge, outer plate and inner plate. Two people would help.

The factory hinge bolts come right out if you use heat to soften the thread lock. No one ever listens to that, so we get to hear about stripped torx bolts instead.

The finished gate pops open and closes easily.

Reactions: jazngab
Not really. The hardest part was getting the bolt plate lined up inside the body to the lower hinge. That isn't easy, but you can outsmart it with a couple screw drivers to line up the hinge, outer plate and inner plate. Two people would help.

The factory hinge bolts come right out if you use heat to soften the thread lock. No one ever listens to that, so we get to hear about stripped torx bolts instead.

I learned that first hand when I adjusted the door hinges. Heat is everything in that application.

Reactions: jjvw
Looks good. Mine wasnt too bad to install either. I had regular bolts so didnt have to worry about stripped torque heads.

This is the wide open gate. The further outboard shifted hinges actually make accessing the rear a bit more roomy.

20190704_144732.jpg

Reactions: Long Rider

Can you expound a bit about this bolt plate inside the body? How does that work?

The wood block seems to only push the long bolt all the way in. I don't know if it will keep the entire assembly from rotating when a heavy ass wheel and tire is hoisted up and placed on the wheel holder thingy. I'm thinking probably not.

It won't keep it from rotating but once you get three of the bolts thru the rim, quickly put a lug nut on. After that you're over the hump. I literally humped my 33" spare on and off several times until I got a system down.

Can you expound a bit about this bolt plate inside the body? How does that work?

There are a pair of captured nuts on a plate inside the tub that will fall free. Peel back the carpet behind the upper hinge. An identical plate is there under the lip of the tub.

This plate will fall free and then you get to use one finger through a small opening to get it back into position while lining up the pieces of the Exogate.

Last edited:
There are a pair of captured nuts on a plate inside the tub that will fall free. Peel back the carpet behind the upper hinge. An identical plate of there under the lip of the tub.

This plate will fall free and then you get to use one finger through a small opening to get it back into position while lining up the pieces of the Exogate.
So this is a plate that the stock hinge bolts thread into, and can fall when the bolts are removed, but can be reached to reposition for the EG bolts...