Fan removal after body lift

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
Dumb question but what is the purpose of a fan shroud? No major off-roading planned. Does one even need it?
You absolutely need a fan shroud, It's there to draw air in through the radiator & fan. Your cooling system will not work correctly without it.

FWIW I always remove the four bolts from the water pump pulley (the ones you circled in blue), but I also usually remove the belt too which generally makes it easier to access everything.

Also - be CAREFUL when you get the fan loose & pull it out of that engine bay. The fan blades are sharp-ass steel & will put a hole right though your radiator if you aren't paying attention. Ask me how I know..

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
The shroud is kind of like a funnel. It helps the air being pulled through the radiator to come from outside the vehicle instead of the fan just spinning around in the hot engine bay.

Ken Perkins

TJ Enthusiast
one thing I did on my cj7 ...when I added a 2" body lift, I removed the shroud and cut it in half horizontally . redrilled the bolt holes and 1/4" holes above and below the cut and zip tied it together.....made it much easier to change water pump a couple years later.

Reactions: qslim and JMT

rasband

Boogers.
Supporting Member
It's only needed for hardcore rock crawling.
It serves a purpose of getting torn up by your fan to shatter pieces all over a creek!

kidding aside, your instructions lead you astray. You just need to drill/self tap screws an inch higher with a BL + MML, only taking out the screws and letting the shroud sit on the fan (all otherwise still installed) during the adjustments.

Reactions: jjvw

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
one thing I did on my cj7 ...when I added a 2" body lift, I removed the shroud and cut it in half horizontally . redrilled the bolt holes and 1/4" holes above and below the cut and zip tied it together.....made it much easier to change water pump a couple years later.
That’s a good idea, I was just cursing at my fan shroud yesterday for not being a 2 piece design.

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
It serves a purpose of getting torn up by your fan to shatter pieces all over a creek!

kidding aside, your instructions lead you astray. You just need to drill/self tap screws an inch higher with a BL + MML, only taking out the screws and letting the shroud sit on the fan (all otherwise still installed) during the adjustments.
If you do BL + MML then you just remove the four bolts while you install both, then return to stock position

If you do just a BL then you lower the shroud 1”

If you do just a MML then you raise the shroud 1”

Reactions: CodaMan

rasband

Boogers.
Supporting Member
If you do BL + MML then you just remove the four bolts while you install both, then return to stock position
I still had to relocate mine with a BL + MML, so like many things it may depend on the specific Jeep. I can’t remember how long after that I did my TT and may have had to move it again.