Fire bug

I read stuff like this and it makes me realize that I would never, ever want to be in the business of being a landlord.

I am in the landlord business. Its not that bad.

The key is operating like any other business. Always treat tenants fairly and consistently, don't allow the units to fall into disrepair, have a good management company to interface with the tenants, and don't be adverse to paying an experienced landlord/tenant attorney to get the uncomfortable part of the business done efficiently and without drama.

It also helps if the rental units aren't in the same neighborhood where you live. ;)

I understand what you guys are saying about not interacting with them. For my hubby it is just a strange situation because of knowing and interacting with the Step Dad for over 40 years.

We are not in the business of renting houses. We have always rented the house out to family until Danny. We will never rent the house out again, except to my son. We have learned our lesson on this for sure. Even though you have known the people and are good friends with them, in the end, they will screw you.

Yes, it really sucks that this is right next door to us. I think it would be easier on me if it wasn't right next door. I have actually been trying to limit how much I go to our garage on that property.

That house will sit empty if my son doesn't want to move into it. I will not go through this again.

I understand what you guys are saying about not interacting with them. For my hubby it is just a strange situation because of knowing and interacting with the Step Dad for over 40 years.

We are not in the business of renting houses. We have always rented the house out to family until Danny. We will never rent the house out again, except to my son. We have learned our lesson on this for sure. Even though you have known the people and are good friends with them, in the end, they will screw you.

Yes, it really sucks that this is right next door to us. I think it would be easier on me if it wasn't right next door. I have actually been trying to limit how much I go to our garage on that property.

That house will sit empty if my son doesn't want to move into it. I will not go through this again.
VRBO or AirBNB

Short term rentals are the way to go. Most people that go this route are far more courteous and respectful of others property. They rate your place and you rate them as renters, nobody wants a bad review, so it kinda works out. Far better than dealing with shitty long term renters that you have to evict. Bonus part is, they pay you before they set foot on your property + you are protected under the VRBO/ABNB umbrella, they will go after any wrongdoings

Well, hopefully this is almost over. Got the writ back on Wed. 1/27/21. Lawyer turned it over to the Sheriff the next day. She said that they post the notices on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Weds. She is guessing they will post it on this coming Tuesday, but I am hoping for Monday. LOL Going with her guess, that would be Feb. 2nd. Then they wait a week and would come back on the following Tuesday, Feb 9th. She did warn me that sometimes they bump you to the next day if they run into problems elsewhere.

So we are looking at possibly only 10-13 more days till he is gone. :D Fingers are crossed that all goes well.

This happened to us in the beginning of Jan. We were coming out of a parking lot and we ran into him, well, he actually ran into us. LOL All of a sudden he was at the window foaming at the mouth and yelling something? We couldnt' make it out. I only caught a little of the confrontation, I couldn't get my phone out fast enough. My husband ran into his Step Dad a few days later and he told him that Danny came to their house that same day and was cussing and foaming at the mouth on them too. They refused to open the security door for him.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully this is almost over. Got the writ back on Wed. 1/27/21. Lawyer turned it over to the Sheriff the next day. She said that they post the notices on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Weds. She is guessing they will post it on this coming Tuesday, but I am hoping for Monday. LOL Going with her guess, that would be Feb. 2nd. Then they wait a week and would come back on the following Tuesday, Feb 9th. She did warn me that sometimes they bump you to the next day if they run into problems elsewhere.

So we are looking at possibly only 10-13 more days till he is gone. :D Fingers are crossed that all goes well.

This happened to us in the beginning of Jan. We were coming out of a parking lot and we ran into him, well, he actually ran into us. LOL All of a sudden he was at the window foaming at the mouth and yelling something? We couldnt' make it out. I only caught a little of the confrontation, I couldn't get my phone out fast enough. My husband ran into his Step Dad a few days later and he told him that Danny came to their house that same day and was cussing and foaming at the mouth on them too. They refused to open the security door for him.

What a freakin nightmare! glad to see this coming to a close for you guys. 😺

If I were in your position, I'd never rent to anyone I knew. If I rented at all, It would be through an agency. Let them deal with all the crap. ;)

It has been a while since any update here. Almost a month, DAMN! I guess that's why it took me to the original post #1 instead of back here.

A little under 2 weeks from now and everything will be better. I hope the house is at least in decent shape when you can go back in.

Reactions: KimsJeep
What a freakin nightmare! glad to see this coming to a close for you guys. 😺

If I were in your position, I'd never rent to anyone I knew. If I rented at all, It would be through an agency. Let them deal with all the crap. ;)
We will not rent it out again. My son is going to live in it. Not only do I not want to deal with this kind of thing again, but with it being right next to us, renting to just anybody just isn't doable. We see everything that goes on. At least with my son I can kick his ass if he does something I don't like. LOL :D

It has been a while since any update here. Almost a month, DAMN! I guess that's why it took me to the original post #1 instead of back here.

A little under 2 weeks from now and everything will be better. I hope the house is at least in decent shape when you can go back in.
Yah, me too. Last we saw the living room is in great shape, but can't say what the rest looks like. The guy is a clean freak so unless he has put holes in the walls when he is going off on his crazy spirts, we should be ok except for extreme cig smoke damage. That is what I will be doing on my vacation the week after he is gone, washing all the walls. Then repainting.

Reactions: mrjp and Blondie70
Yah, me too. Last we saw the living room is in great shape, but can't say what the rest looks like. The guy is a clean freak so unless he has put holes in the walls when he is going off on his crazy spirts, we should be ok except for extreme cig smoke damage. That is what I will be doing on my vacation the week after he is gone, washing all the walls. Then repainting.
If you want to get rid of the cigarette smell quickly, not mask it with sprays, do yourself a favor and get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP733I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

These ozone generators are exactly what hotels and appts use if the tenet smokes in them. They eliminate ANY odor very quickly! Just turn it on (optimally while being aimed at the intake for the hvac, with the fan set to on) and leave the house for ~12hrs (you don’t want to stay there, ozone is harmful to your lungs). Come back, turn off the unit and open the windows to let it air out.

Edit: now that I think about it, that one probably wouldn’t need near 12 hours to get rid of the smell... btw it smells like fresh rain when you get back but you need to air that out of the house (only take a moment because natural air breaks o3 down very quickly)

Last edited:
Why doesn't the YouTube video work?
Hmm, maybe because I have it set to private? That setting said it was only for people I want to see it. I thought if I shared the link it would work. I'll go change the setting.

Hmm, maybe because I have it set to private? That setting said it was only for people I want to see it. I thought if I shared the link it would work. I'll go change the setting.

Oh yeah, that must be it. I was thinking maybe YouTube took it down for some stupid reason.

Ok, I reset it to "unlisted", see if it works now?

If you want to get rid of the cigarette smell quickly, not mask it with sprays, do yourself a favor and get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP733I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

These ozone generators are exactly what hotels and appts use if the tenet smokes in them. They eliminate ANY odor very quickly! Just turn it on (optimally while being aimed at the intake for the hvac, with the fan set to on) and leave the house for ~12hrs (you don’t want to stay there, ozone is harmful to your lungs). Come back, turn off the unit and open the windows to let it air out.

Edit: now that I think about it, that one probably wouldn’t need near 12 hours to get rid of the smell... btw it smells like fresh rain when you get back but you need to air that out of the house (only take a moment because natural air breaks o3 down very quickly)
Ok, thanks! I will go check it out. :D It may be the best bet. The last time I saw the mini blinds that were white, they were brown. LOL They finally fell apart and he took them down. Now has blankets. LOL

Reactions: DWR
Ok, thanks! I will go check it out. :D It may be the best bet. The last time I saw the mini blinds that were white, they were brown. LOL They finally fell apart and he took them down. Now has blankets. LOL
Wow, yea I’d go ahead and buy one if I were you... and I’d plan to run it once before and once after cleaning (just so it’s at least bearable while cleaning).

I found out about them from a friend who is the maintenance supervisor of a few appts, he actually gave me an industrial one for free (their janitorial supply company gave them a trial unit for free is what he told me). Looked up the price on the one I have... about $350 😳 but damn does it work! I’d totally buy one even at that price for how well it works!

Side benefit is that it kills ANYTHING that in the house if ran long enough also, so bugs, mice, mold, etc...

Wow, yea I’d go ahead and buy one if I were you... and I’d plan to run it once before and once after cleaning (just so it’s at least bearable while cleaning).

I found out about them from a friend who is the maintenance supervisor of a few appts, he actually gave me an industrial one for free (their janitorial supply company gave them a trial unit for free is what he told me). Looked up the price on the one I have... about $350 😳 but damn does it work! I’d totally buy one even at that price for how well it works!

Side benefit is that it kills ANYTHING that in the house if ran long enough also, so bugs, mice, mold, etc...
When you say "pointed at the intake for the hvac", you are talking about a central air and heat type unit??? If so, this house doesn't have that. It just has a gas heater and a swamp cooler on the roof, so there is no intake for anything. It does have a small dog door that I could set it so the fan to the unit blows outside the house. :D

When you say "pointed at the intake for the hvac", you are talking about a central air and heat type unit??? If so, this house doesn't have that. It just has a gas heater and a swamp cooler on the roof, so there is no intake for anything. It does have a small dog door that I could set it so the fan to the unit blows outside the house. :D
Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I can't buy one of those. I even tried different models in that link and it say this "
This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location." Must not be legal in CA. LOL

Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I can't buy one of those. I even tried different models in that link and it say this "
This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location." Must not be legal in CA. LOL
Have it delivered elsewhere, then re-shipped.

Yes you can.... there are companies made for receiving what you order elsewhere, then reship to your address...
https://www.shipito.com/en/. Costs $3 extra.

because 🖕 commiefornia