Flag mount for tj?

Giavanna

Hi my name is Giavanna, and Ive had my 2000 Wrangler for almost 6 years now. I am new to the forum and I have a question for anyone who is willing to help! Has anyone figured out how to mount a large flag where the spare tire is? All i can see online is for JK. It is quite frustrating. Either picture below...any advice is welcome please!

maxresdefault.jpg

DSC_6220_zps8b05ce52.jpg

Reactions: darkangel07760
Yeah, I have a trail-flag mount, but not a full-size flag mount like the ones you have pictured.

Like Chris said, probably the hitch would be the strongest to support that kind of size and weight, but if you were going topless, I don't see any reason you couldn't just zip-tie or strap a flagpole to one of the back roll bars. That would obviously be a temporary solution, but are you looking to run a flag year round or just for an occasion?

Big flags like above would need some serious strength for the holder. I have a small American flag on my 2' CB antenna which works really well. That guy in the parka is @mrblaine who was spotting me, it can get cold on Sledgehammer.
DSCF0061.JPG

I see you kept the stock fender flares Jerry... Very cool.

I feel like I'm one of very few who actually likes the look of the stock fenders, and hates the look of the Metalcloak flares (and similar).

I see you kept the stock fender flares Jerry... Very cool.
That photo was taken back in 2003, those stock fender flares didn't last much longer after that. I went flattie fender up front and no fenders later on both that TJ which was stolen and my current black TJ. :)

CIMG3717-adjusted.jpg

20140111_093734smaller.jpg

Last edited:
That photo was taken back in 2003, those stock fender flares didn't last much longer after that. I went flattie fender up front and no fenders later on both that TJ which was stolen and my current black TJ. :)

View attachment 6687
View attachment 6685

I figured with the kind of wheeling you were doing that there was simply no way around the cutout fenders... I manage to make it work with stock fender flares, but we don't have rocks like that up here!

If you have a trailer hitch hookup you could use this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IVGA0G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

There's also a ton of other flag mounts here:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=flag+mount&tag=wranglerorg-20

Most of them would take some creativity, but wouldn't be that hard. My first choice would be the trailer hitch hookup I linked to.

the issue is with the trailer hitch hookup is i wont be able to open my back door correct?

Yeah, I have a trail-flag mount, but not a full-size flag mount like the ones you have pictured.

Like Chris said, probably the hitch would be the strongest to support that kind of size and weight, but if you were going topless, I don't see any reason you couldn't just zip-tie or strap a flagpole to one of the back roll bars. That would obviously be a temporary solution, but are you looking to run a flag year round or just for an occasion?

I was looking to do year round

the issue is with the trailer hitch hookup is i wont be able to open my back door correct?

That's true. The next best way I could think to do it would be to mount the flag to the side of the body (or bumper) as if it was a CB radio antenna. That would work nicely and allow you to open your door.

However, I can't find a pre-made solution for that, so you'd likely have to fabricate something.

I ziptied my flagpole to my spare tire carrier (very heavy duty zip ties). It's not permanent though. I usually run it for a couple of weeks around the 4th of July. If you have a tire swing, I'm sure there is some better ways to clamp it to the tire swing.

IMG_1380_zpszeydpi4v.jpg

For what its worth, I made a flag mount out of a hitch receiver and an old jack handle. The upper section of a floor jack handle fit inside the trailer ball mount point. I then welded the end on, or you can put a bolt through the jack handle if you don't have a welder. the end result was a universal mount that I could put any flag into... I have since updated the mount to put an adjustable tube on the handle so I can adjust it to fly a 3x5 flag or a 4x6 flag.

Just noticed you wanted a year round mount. they make a mount for flags at most hardware stores that are for mounting flags on corners, such as houses, barns, etc. you could mount it on the right rear corner.

Why not just go for a smaller flag and mount it on a CB antenna? :confused:

I'm damned patriotic but I'm being no more patriotic with a 3'x5' flag than I am with my 12"x18" flag.

That's true. The next best way I could think to do it would be to mount the flag to the side of the body (or bumper) as if it was a CB radio antenna. That would work nicely and allow you to open your door.

However, I can't find a pre-made solution for that, so you'd likely have to fabricate something.

thank you anyway!

http://www.flagguys.com/brackets.html
Here is a useful site that can assist you Giavanna..

i was looking at those and wasnt sure if it would work i hope it would hold up

I ziptied my flagpole to my spare tire carrier (very heavy duty zip ties). It's not permanent though. I usually run it for a couple of weeks around the 4th of July. If you have a tire swing, I'm sure there is some better ways to clamp it to the tire swing.

View attachment 6702

ive seen people do this online with the zip ties and i dont have a tire swing unfortunately

Reactions: Chris
I agree that you're going to need a really beefy mount in order to fly a huge flag at speed. Any of those little mounts won't cut it. Those big flags will be like a sail in the wind, and if you're going highway speeds, you can imagine how much force that is on the flag.

Reactions: mmmkam