Gear pattern assessment

Ok. When setting up gears, don't do anything with pinion preload (adding shims) until after you have established pinion depth.

Take the pre-load shims out and tighten the pinion nut until you start to feel some drag. Don't over tighten it though. That will be all you need to run a pattern.

The preload shims have nothing to do with pinion depth. You need to make all depth adjustments either behind the inner race or between the inner bearing and pinion head.

Try that and see if it defines that pattern up some.

Ok. When setting up gears, don't do anything with pinion preload (adding shims) until after you have established pinion depth.

Take the pre-load shims out and tighten the pinion nut until you start to feel some drag. Don't over tighten it though. That will be all you need to run a pattern.

The preload shims have nothing to do with pinion depth. You need to make all depth adjustments either behind the inner race or between the inner bearing and pinion head.

Try that and see if it defines that pattern up some.

That helps tremendously. Thanks!

Removed .005 from behind the inner race. Backlash is at .0055. I'm thinking I could take out a little more. Maybe .002?

20230527_164526.jpg

20230527_164257.jpg

20230527_164240.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hosejockey61
A couple of things. First off, the drive side looks just a touch shallow now. I would see if you can drop 1-2 thou and it would be where you need it.

When checking backlash, make sure your plunger is as close to parallel as possible to the tooth. You can see in the pic what I'm talking about. One of the other two lines would be preferable.

I'm still surprised there is so little room on the ring gear side. Are you 100% certain that both carrier bearings are pressed all the way on? What is the total number (thickness) of carrier shims?

Screenshot_20230527-170617~3.png

Reactions: Irun
A couple of things. First off, the drive side looks just a touch shallow now. I would see if you can drop 1-2 thou and it would be where you need it.

When checking backlash, make sure your plunger is as close to parallel as possible to the tooth. You can see in the pic what I'm talking about. One of the other two lines would be preferable.

I'm still surprised there is so little room on the ring gear side. Are you 100% certain that both carrier bearings are pressed all the way on? What is the total number (thickness) of carrier shims?

View attachment 427974

Double checked the bearings are pressed on the carrier and all looks good there. Made a .002 adjustment and the backlash, measured per your instructions is now at .007. Pattern definitely moved up.

Total carrier shims are only at .015, but it's tight to get them in. Not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that the E-Locker uses a LM102949 bearing and LM202911 race.

20230527_210202.jpg

20230527_204850.jpg

20230527_204836.jpg

In my mind something isn't right with what you're doing but I'm not sure what it is. 15 thou total carrier shims doesn't sound right to me. If you're up for it, send me a DM with your phone number and I'll give you a call tomorrow. I'm in South Carolina right now but can find some time to walk through the process to make sure you're on the right track.

Yeah something is a bit off there. With the carrier in does the magnet move freely?

Yeah something is a bit off there. With the carrier in does the magnet move freely?

Looks like the stop tabs are a little snug on the bearing caps. What is the best way to get the tabs off the bearing cap. I don't want to try bending them, I think?

Last edited:
In my mind something isn't right with what you're doing but I'm not sure what it is. 15 thou total carrier shims doesn't sound right to me. If you're up for it, send me a DM with your phone number and I'll give you a call tomorrow. I'm in South Carolina right now but can find some time to walk through the process to make sure you're on the right track.

Thanks to your call, you got me reset. After a couple adjustments I've moved the pinion out .003 and made a .002 adjustment to push the ring gear tighter to the pinion. Backlash is at .0075 and there is now a more defined pattern. Maybe still a tad deep, but I'm hoping this is it!

20230529_113442.jpg

20230529_113257.jpg

20230529_113226.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Double checked the bearings are pressed on the carrier and all looks good there. Made a .002 adjustment and the backlash, measured per your instructions is now at .007. Pattern definitely moved up.

Total carrier shims are only at .015, but it's tight to get them in. Not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that the E-Locker uses a LM102949 bearing and LM202911 race.

View attachment 428021

View attachment 428022

View attachment 428023

What carrier shims are you using. I believe the E-locker uses a special shim due to the different carrier bearings.

FWIW, her
What carrier shims are you using. I believe the E-locker uses a special shim due to the different carrier bearings.

It uses Dana 44 shims, if you shim inside the carrier bearings.

FWIW, here's my pile of bent shims from trying to shim outside the bearings. Next time I do one of these it will be shims inside the bearings. Especially, given there is only. 015 total shims on the carrier. This seems insane, given the stock shims removed totaled .100. However, the carrier is in there tight with the .015. 😯

20230529_121019.jpg

Thanks to your call, you got me reset. After a couple adjustments I've moved the pinion out .003 and made a .002 adjustment to push the ring gear tighter to the pinion. Backlash is at .0075 and there is now a more defined pattern. Maybe still a tad deep, but I'm hoping this is it!

View attachment 428388

View attachment 428389

View attachment 428390

That pattern is too shallow. Try adding .005 to your existing pinion stack and open you backlash up some and see if we can get you bracketed.

What part of Virginia are you in? When I did my re-gear I bought a case spreader that you are welcome to use if you are anywhere close to Richmond.

I have one and used it this last pass. Didn't bend shims this time!

Reactions: GCole
FWIW, here's my pile of bent shims from trying to shim outside the bearings. Next time I do one of these it will be shims inside the bearings. Especially, given there is only. 015 total shims on the carrier. This seems insane, given the stock shims removed totaled .100. However, the carrier is in there tight with the .015. 😯

View attachment 428393

Can you wait a couple days and order a inside shim stack? I think part of your fight is with attempting to outside shim the carrier. Without a case spreader you will continue to face an uphill battle.

Can you wait a couple days and order a inside shim stack? I think part of your fight is with attempting to outside shim the carrier. Without a case spreader you will continue to face an uphill battle.

I have inside shims and can go that route, just wanted to see if I could get closer. Setup bearings are made and I just need to pull the bearings off the carrier.

That pattern is too shallow. Try adding .005 to your existing pinion stack and open you backlash up some and see if we can get you bracketed.

I'm shimmed .007 behind the inner race. Are you saying add to that?