Getting a TJ financed was such a pain!

Matthew Keller

Good News: I'm picking up my first wrangler I've purchased on my own (ie. in my name) this weekend! 2005 TJ Sport, 95xxx, stock suspension, in great condition. Extremely excited. I had a 2002 TJ Sahara through early college I built up with my dad. We ended up selling it for financial reasons, so I'm super happy to be in a place in my life I can buy one again and drive home on weekends to work on projects with my father.

Irritating News: Getting it financed was HELL. I had to go through so many hoops and different vendors. I ended up being able to have the navy federal credit union finance it for me. I got it for $11,500.00 (here in florida thats normal / low end) but EVERY SINGLE TIME i would get approved for a loan, they would move me from the $11,500.00 to around 7K-8K because that was their "perceived value".

A couple of questions:

1. My florida jeepers, am I over paying?
2. First mods you would suggest?
3. Issues I should look for when I pick it up? (Leaks, rust etc.?)

That is a pretty standard price here in Northern FL. Navy Fed is awesome, so I'm glad they were able to work the loan for you.

I'm not sure if the Jeep is stock or not, but I'd just drive it and enjoy it for a bit first and see what you want to do to it.

I'd check for rust along the frame and look for any oil leaks.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats...6 cylinder?

Seems like everybody and their brother in Florida, wants at least 10k for even their crappy, rusted , squeaky, blown head gasketed out TJ. God forbid its a Sahara, tack on another 2K!

It took me almost 2 years of searching to find that elusive original owner, never wrecked, unmolested, bone stock, never been shifted into 4 low, not a speck of rust on it Jeep.

I agree with Jorge, drive it for a while, and don't make any impulse decisions like i did when i bought my crappy lift.

Reactions: Matthew Keller
Yes sir! 4.0 Straight 6 :) Super pumped to own the motor of all motors. I've been looking for months with no luck for one I'm happy with. Last lift I did was the rough country N2.0 4.5" suspension. I loved it, super smooth. I was also 17 and broke when I had my last one, and I told my girlfriend when I decided I was getting another Jeep that I was pretty much buying a casket this time haha I plan on keeping this one for the long haul so EVERYTHING I put in it I want to be deeply researched. My particular Jeep is a 2 owner, the first owner put 10K and the 2nd the other 80+K. No suspension mods but a few cosmetic things like running boards and a summer top but besides that, all stock.

Reactions: fourpointzero
No worries, you didn't over pay. What NADA/KBB thinks Jeeps are worth and what they market says they're worth are two different numbers. One of the very very few affordable vehicles like it.
I forgot to mention LJ's in my rant...tack on another 3-5K easy. Although in that case, i would say its justified. Damn i wanted to score one in the worst way, but could never find a decent one for less than $15k

IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG

First on the list Is New headlights I didn't realize how bad the factory lights are till I almost hit a pedestrian

Sent from my E6790TM using Tapatalk

Quick tip on the headlights. I picked up a factory JK set for free. Amazon sells a wiring adapter harness for $10 and I bought some newer sylvania super white bulbs for $30 (on sale from $60). For $40 I have a huge headlight upgrade from stock sealed beams. They even look factory too. I love the new LED's but I couldn't pull the trigger on them.

For about 170, I installed euro spec CIBIE H4 headlights with Phillips extreme headlights. What a HUGE difference. 50 bucks of the price was a wiring upgrade with relays to allow the headlights to consume as much power as they need and minimize voltage drop.

Reactions: VirtualRussel