GMRS or HAM radio?

used to be the case with our company and our home networks. Now most of the sites I need/want to visit will not function with all the suppression on. That is when I started noticing the crap/targeted ads.
I have found very few sites that won't work with my setup - but if I do and I just *must* visit such a site, I'll use the "private browser" window to do so that deletes EVERYTHING when closed. Or I just go elsewhere when/if I can. There's not very many sites on the 'net that I just "must" visit.

Reactions: WSS
Did you click the link and actually read the FCC Docket?
No, I've been down that road and it always turned out a bust. Not doubting you.
Looking forward to the official confirmation when someone goes to the FCC website to get their license and it's $35. Mine is good for another 5 years.

Edit: same info posted on MyGMRS forum. Again, not doubting you @Dino - KX6D

Officially its the 19th.
I'll pass it along at our ORV club meeting Saturday. I like having my own call sign.

Also, repeater owner's in our area and many others require a call sign for access to their equipment. So far I've gained access to half dozen repeaters that are available from all over this huge area. But more importantly, it's a matter of respecting private property and the folks who share theirs.

Reactions: WSS and Dino - KX6D
repeater owner's in our area others require a call sign for access to their equipment
They police their repeater? Screw those guys. They can't limit access and the FCC doesn't give a shirt about their feelings on the subject. Private is clear, anything else is public. If you are harassing people on the radio then you are the problem.

I have a HAM basic operator license and what I like is when the significant other and I go remote camping I'll look up prior to heading out the repeater frequencies to use. So assuming there is no cell phone coverage in the area and an emergency comes up I can call out on the repeater frequency (hopefully someone is listening) and request assistance. I also had my HAM radio modified for GMRS since the groups I've gone out wheeling with in the past have used both. Good luck on your HAM test.

They police their repeater? Screw those guys. They can't limit access and the FCC doesn't give a shirt about their feelings on the subject. Private is clear, anything else is public. If you are harassing people on the radio then you are the problem.
If you have an FCC GMRS license you can join
https://mygmrs.com/to see how wrong you are. Repeaters are private property and use can be restricted by the owners. That's what CTCSS codes are for and the repeater owner is not required to share those codes. It's a courtesy on their part to allow access by sharing their codes. And if you're a dick they can change the codes whenever they like - like a landowner might change the locks on his gates after repeated incursions.

Although you can go years, decades or however long you like w/o a license, and you are correct that the FCC doesn't enforce it, it is still illegal. Moreover, you are stealing from the folks who invest up to thousands of dollars on repeater equipment, and if everyone has your no-give-a-shit attitude the airwaves get clogged by idiots who echo your sentiments.
It could be inferred by your remarks that you also say screw the landowners and USFS/BLM, etc. and tread wherever you damn well please. It only takes a few to screw it up for all the rest, in either case.

I suggest you don't try that attitude and behavior on the ham bands; those boys will find you and hunt you down.

$3.50/year for 10 years. OMG Man?! Get F'n REAL.

That behavior turns the amateur spectrum into basic CB trash.

Skip the license if breaking the rules are your intention.

Polite, courteous behavior goes a long way with most repeater owners. Whenever I hear a unauthorized tx on my repeaters, I engage and ask their call if they cannot or will not broadcast a call, I ask them politely to suspend use. If they continue to tx, I shut it down for an hour is so. Usually, they go away. If they give their call sign, I welcome them to my system(s) and encourage them to use it.

• Love
Reactions: LarryTJ and NOTNSUV
Nobody cares except sad hams and government idiots. Don't insult people's dead mothers on the radio and you'll be fine. If you need a call use TJ5FUB. It's a special call approved for all frequencys by me.
A trucker buddy of mine from Wisconsin used to run the south often. He would wait till it was quite on CB and use a southern accent and say “the south will rise again”. Then listen to all the hoot and hollering, then in a real Sheboygan accent say “just high enough to kiss a Yankees ass”.