Grabar install measuring

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Being a measure 1000x cut one kinda guy, these install instructions are a bit perplexing. I’ve ready on other forums to measure over 2.25 instead of 2.75, but not sure where I should start that measurement from? Anyone install a set of these on an 04-06? The top measurement is the easy one.

2129782f213b9478dbcceb885c0f1a7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well winged it and got lucky. Like most things I was over thinking the process. ;)

View attachment 44584
View attachment 44585

I was in the same boat as you. The instructions pretty much suck on that part of the installation. I did the passenger side first, and the hole was a bit off to one side, which to most people would have been fine. I left it, but learned for when I did the driver side, which came out perfect. The PS bugged my OCD enough to where I ordered another trim piece, and redid it. It came out perfect that time.

Congratulations on the successful install. GraBars are always my first installation on a new to me Jeep.

I really want to get one of these but I'm worried that I'll botch up that measurement and not drill the hole correctly. Are those trim pieces easy to come by?

Nice job, I did the driver's side first and needed a little drimmel action to make it fit then did a clean cut for the pasenger side. Agree that the instructions are terrible!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Yea, I probably measured 12x before I actually drilled. Couldn't wrap my brain around their measurements in the instructions.

I just cut mine over the weekend using the diagram shown above. I didn't have a 1.5" bit, so I used an 11/16" bit and a hacksaw to make the hole. I wasn't too concerned about how clean the cut was because they do sell grommets to provide a finished look.

https://grabarsusa.com/jeep-grabars...dles-grabars/Jeep-TJ-GraBars-Install-Grommets

I might order a set, but I haven't even noticed the rough edges the last few days.

Probably the key is to drill the hole smaller than it says, at first, try it, then adjust as necessary...
I just cut mine over the weekend using the diagram shown above. I didn't have a 1.5" bit, so I used an 11/16" bit and a hacksaw to make the hole. I wasn't too concerned about how clean the cut was because they do sell grommets to provide a finished look.

https://grabarsusa.com/jeep-grabars...dles-grabars/Jeep-TJ-GraBars-Install-Grommets

I might order a set, but I haven't even noticed the rough edges the last few days.
I wish I had known that when I did my install...those cost less than a new trim piece...
I really want to get one of these but I'm worried that I'll botch up that measurement and not drill the hole correctly. Are those trim pieces easy to come by?

I found the trim piece without too much effort. I don't remember the exact source, but I believe it was a Mopar supplier.

Not sure if this will help, but I went out and took a couple of other measurements, in black below...
View attachment 52371

Yea, that is a good diagram. Wish they would show you a side shot of where they measured the 2.75 from, but eyeballing mine the 1.5 and the 5/8s were the two I knew I had right, or close enough.

Not sure if this will help, but I went out and took a couple of other measurements, in black below...
View attachment 52371

The 5/8" measurement is very helpful, because I was having a hard time knowing where the 2.75" was being measured from.

For the 1 1/4" measurement, though, I think I'm more confused now. This one seemed more straightforward from their picture, but when I look at your measurement, it doesn't add up. The hole is supposed to be 1 1/2", so half that would be 3/4" to the midpoint. If I add that to your 1 1/4" to the edge, I get 2" to the midpoint of the hole from that side. Seems like a big difference. Does it really need to be that much further in that what they are showing?

Reactions: Old Pueblo
I did the driver side first and the bar did not land exactly in the center of the hole so I adjusted for the passenger side. Problem is I adjusted the wrong way and the bar touched the trim on the passenger side. After the install it squeaked horribly. I had taken my door surround off to get a little extra room to work with and thought it was the surround that was squeaking. Once I figured out it was the bar and trim piece squeaking I dremeled the hole so it was no longer touching. You really have to bend over and look up to see the holes at all so they dont bother me.

The 5/8" measurement is very helpful, because I was having a hard time knowing where the 2.75" was being measured from.

For the 1 1/4" measurement, though, I think I'm more confused now. This one seemed more straightforward from their picture, but when I look at your measurement, it doesn't add up. The hole is supposed to be 1 1/2", so half that would be 3/4" to the midpoint. If I add that to your 1 1/4" to the edge, I get 2" to the midpoint of the hole from that side. Seems like a big difference. Does it really need to be that much further in that what they are showing?
I did it the way the instructions said for the passenger side, and it turned out to be wrong. I ordered another trim panel, did it using my measurements, it was right. It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

I did it the way the instructions said for the passenger side, and it turned out to be wrong. I ordered another trim panel, did it using my measurements, it was right. It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I had already ordered another trim panel because the current one on there has a big scratch on it. I'll use the scratched one for testing purposes.

Reactions: JMT
I would stop measuring and start worrying about hitting my head on a protruding object. Get some fabric grab handles that work pretty much the same and aren’t a safety hazard

Being a measure 1000x cut one kinda guy, these install instructions are a bit perplexing. I’ve ready on other forums to measure over 2.25 instead of 2.75, but not sure where I should start that measurement from? Anyone install a set of these on an 04-06? The top measurement is the easy one.

View attachment 44577

I installed these on my 2004 TJ and used various size hole saws to get them to fit up. Those measurements did not work for me and I didn't care about putting larger holes in the trim pieces. Unless you look specifically at that spot you can't even tell. My intent was to provide a secure hand hold for ingress and egress.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I would stop measuring and start worrying about hitting my head on a protruding object. Get some fabric grab handles that work pretty much the same and aren’t a safety hazard
Fabric grab handles don't even come close to working the same. Anyone who's had both will attest to that. If you don't like solid grab handles, don't use them, but don't try to convince anyone they're a safety hazard.

They don't work pretty much the same. Not even close.

Since there is no place where bad news or negative reviews travel faster than the Internet, I googled "Grabar safety hazard jeep."

I found one thread. There, two participants with no automotive design, engineering, or accident reconstruction experience argued vociferously that Grabars are unsafe. Neither was able to provide a single example of an injury caused or exacerbated by a Grabar or Grabar copycat. A third poster wrote that he fractured his eye socket in an accident and believed he hit the factory plastic grab handle in his Dodge pickup. The louder the naysayers shouted, the louder they were shouted down. In the end there was no objective evidence to support either viewpoint.

https://www.********forum.com/f202/are-grabars-safe-1638593.html
[replace ******** with wrangler]

Maybe Grabars are a safety hazard and maybe they aren't. I'm not going to remove mine.

Reactions: americanwrkmule
I installed the brand name bars soon after I got my Jeep and a couple of shorter friends had a hard time getting in. Makes getting in and out so much easier. I still have the fabric ones PO had on. Free, just pay shipping.

Fabric grab handles don't even come close to working the same. Anyone who's had both will attest to that. If you don't like solid grab handles, don't use them, but don't try to convince anyone they're a safety hazard.

I have both and the Grab Bars are the ones I use to climb in and out of the Jeep. Falling on your ass is unsafe as you try to climb in and out of your Jeep without a sturdy hand hold. Haven't hid my head yet and I'm as graceful as a bull elephant in a storage shed.

DSCN1554.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: americanwrkmule