H8MUD

Yeah, but it's black! Black shows everything. Yours looks so shiny and doesn't appear to show anything at all, haha.

I guess you must do a really good job avoiding branches and other stuff.

Oh no....but I DO have a little secret:

turtle-wax-black-box-black-car-wax-kit-3.png

Reactions: Travis
Dude... I am insanely jealous. How much did that transfer case set you back? How do you like it... It looks damn good!

Reactions: CasterTroy
Dude, don't be jealous, I'm just barely treading water behind trying to keep up with YOU :deal:

I mean you've already got the Dana 44's and a 4:1 with the rubi :chuck:

And see that's part of the reason for going Atlas to begin with. See a 241 Rock-jock (around HERE anyway) is $1200 to $1600. Yes you can find them cheaper sometimes on Ebay but shipping puts you right back in that range. Hell if I'm gonna pay $1500 for a USED transfer case then another +/-$200 on a novak shifter, why not opt for a TWIN STICK? :b1:

I went with 4.3 and got it thru my driveshaft shop, since I'd already turned my custom rear shaft into a barber pole and sheared the weights off. So PART of the deal was also getting new shafts

shaft.jpg

And THESE he heat stretched to balance so NO WEIGHTS!!!

All in with new shafts, installation, and tweaking I was out $2650. I've YET to test it out, other than playing with 2wd lo front and rear and playing on the hills of the golf course in the neighborhood after dusk :angel2: (Holy shit it's a friggin GOAT NOW)
OH, and I did a stall test in the driveway in RWD lo by standing on the brakes in 1st without touching the clutch to see how slow I could go without stalling it. It locked up the front brakes and continued to push at idle :eyepop: I could NOT stall the engine! I'll have to remember that on the trail or I'll get in some huge trouble.

I'm loading it up friday morning to head out to Moab. Our plans are:

MONDAY.. Hells Revenge, Fins and things, potato salad hill, Then Jetboat ride up the river and dinner

TUESDAY... Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim,Golden Spike. (12 hr wheeling day)

WEDNESDAY... Moab Rim, Top of the world

THURSDAY.... Metal masher , Cliff Hanger. Or steel bender depending on time.

FRIDAY.. steel bender or flat iron mesa.

Then head home. I should be able to tell you ALL about the Atlas after that :goofy:

That's really cool though! I've wanted the Atlas for a while because even though I have the NP241 with the 4:1 ratio, it's only really good for slow crawling. The Atlas would allow me to basically have two ratios, so that way I'd be able to do the slow crawl, but also faster as well. I think something like that would be really cool, especially as you navigate different terrain and scenarios (not to mention the shift knobs look badass)!

Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I'm going to have to get some stock in Turtle Wax, with three black vehicles in the stable...

Sounds like the MOAB is going to be awesome.

That's really cool though! I've wanted the Atlas for a while because even though I have the NP241 with the 4:1 ratio, it's only really good for slow crawling. The Atlas would allow me to basically have two ratios, so that way I'd be able to do the slow crawl, but also faster as well. I think something like that would be really cool, especially as you navigate different terrain and scenarios (not to mention the shift knobs look badass)!

Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

You do have two ratios? 4-HI and 4 Low. Or are you saying you want two different crawling ratios?

I will say I was unsure about the 4:1 Low range, but after having wheeled it, its awesome. 2nd gear T-Case in low was just about perfect for me for most of the trails. Didn't have to ride the brakes on hills, Didn't have to ride the clutch on trails, and when I needed to climb, I had one lower ratio in the tranny still.

You do have two ratios? 4-HI and 4 Low. Or are you saying you want two different crawling ratios?

I will say I was unsure about the 4:1 Low range, but after having wheeled it, its awesome. 2nd gear T-Case in low was just about perfect for me for most of the trails. Didn't have to ride the brakes on hills, Didn't have to ride the clutch on trails, and when I needed to climb, I had one lower ratio in the tranny still.

Yes, the Atlas case I was looking at gives you TWO crawl ratios. Not that I really need it... I honestly don't. I just think it would be cool. Maybe it would be one of those things I would do one day if I had money burning a hole in my pocket. But right now, I've got home expenses that need to be taken care of!

Yes, the Atlas case I was looking at gives you TWO crawl ratios. Not that I really need it... I honestly don't. I just think it would be cool. Maybe it would be one of those things I would do one day if I had money burning a hole in my pocket. But right now, I've got home expenses that need to be taken care of!
Wouldn't the Rubicrawler pretty much accomplish the same end result? Sure, you wouldn't have a shiny new tc (which is heavy duty though), but for $800 less, I could do with less shiny...

Wouldn't the Rubicrawler pretty much accomplish the same end result? Sure, you wouldn't have a shiny new tc (which is heavy duty though), but for $800 less, I could do with less shiny...

I didn't even know what the Rubicrawler was until now. But yes, it looks like they would do it. I guess you don't get the bling and what not, but you're right, I could do without it for $800 less!

After Moab, decided to redistribute a little weight. Since my second is headed off to college next month, and my youngest will have her license around that time, I decided it's time to ditch the back seat for good.

Moved the spare mount to the floor to allow for usable space UNDER the spare for tools

20170704_101831.jpg

20170704_101903.jpg

20170715_150917.jpg

Moab trip made 2 things very clear:

1) ALWAYS carry water (above and beyond what you plan to drink)
2) You can never have too much fuel

While most east coast wheeling doesn't merit these as much as Moab wheeling, it was a lesson learned that I don't intend to repeat.

Reactions: Rob5589