H8MUD

What width MC fender/flares are you running?

4" front and still the stock rear painted flare, just stretched 3" further back at the very bottom rear
So you cut the tub behind the rear tire and just relocated the stock flare, cut the stock flares to match more with the MC? Looks good

So you cut the tub behind the rear tire

Yes. I unbolted the rear flare. Starting from the very rear, forward. Removed all the rear angle fasteners, and then the back 2 fasteners on the top level part, but did NOT remove any of the front angle bolts. Then I cut an elongated diamond shape out of the steel in that back angle.

What I did, was remove the rear springs and cycle the suspension to the bump stops. I saw the TSL's would dig into that rear angle X amount, then I trimmed and recycled the suspension until the bumpstop was sitting on the spring bowl without the insert to where I had at LEAST an inch of clearance.

and just relocated the stock flare

Just the very back angled piece. See here is where it got tricky. I had already trimmed the stock flares. Did that to clear the 35's

20170128_114633.jpg
20170128_114947.jpg
20170128_120429.jpg

so at this point I bolt back the upper level portion of flare, and then pull the very bottom/back over the cut metal and mark NEW mounting holes. I think it moved that back bottom corner about 3" more rearward. Drill a new hole and bolt the bottom corner, then drill the 2 middle, and voila! It's a new angle, and you would NEVER know unless you had seen this post.

Reactions: JMT
Yes. I unbolted the rear flare. Starting from the very rear, forward. Removed all the rear angle fasteners, and then the back 2 fasteners on the top level part, but did NOT remove any of the front angle bolts. Then I cut an elongated diamond shape out of the steel in that back angle.

What I did, was remove the rear springs and cycle the suspension to the bump stops. I saw the TSL's would dig into that rear angle X amount, then I trimmed and recycled the suspension until the bumpstop was sitting on the spring bowl without the insert to where I had at LEAST an inch of clearance.

Just the very back angled piece. See here is where it got tricky. I had already trimmed the stock flares. Did that to clear the 35's

View attachment 56068 View attachment 56072 View attachment 56073

so at this point I bolt back the upper level portion of flare, and then pull the very bottom/back over the cut metal and mark NEW mounting holes. I think it moved that back bottom corner about 3" more rearward. Drill a new hole and bolt the bottom corner, then drill the 2 middle, and voila! It's a new angle, and you would NEVER know unless you had seen this post.
Ok, thanks, that was very well explained. I hate to keep asking questions, but with 2" SL and a 1.25" BL, there are questions. Last one I can think of is this, so, when you made the diamond cut on the rear of the tub to clear the TSL's, about 3" further back at the base of the tub, I'm assuming there is some tension on the flare when you stretch the rear of it back to make new mounting holes. Put another way, the flare is hard but flexible, it has a shape, you had to distort that shape to get it into the new configuration, right? Maybe already having trimmed the flares, the tension was less and easier to get the new angle. I think I get it. It looks good, Like you said, you'd never know. I didn't know what the rear flares were, I assumed MC, but I was skeptical.

I hate to keep asking questions

Not a problem at all

I'm assuming there is some tension on the flare when you stretch the rear of it back to make new mounting holes

Like putting Hannah Montana's bra on Dolly Pardon :SimpHomer:

having trimmed the flares, the tension was less and easier to get the new angle

Exactly. I had smacked the original flares on trees and rocks enough to where the paint was cracking in the corners when I trimmed them. Once I cut them the way I did, it revealed a LOT of the tension that was there and allowed them to fold and flex and return to their natural state. They were under a lot of tension when I bent them back, but I know since they've been contorted it's been super hot and the heat/sun have helped release a lot of that tension. Had I done that in winter a heat gun would have been a must

Reactions: JMT
I haven't updated this in a bit....I've been busy building a Garage-ma-hall for the toys...

20190623_164758.jpg

then stupie here acquired 3 more Jeeps :rolleyes: So now my perfect design will have to have annex's before it's finished

Anyway..found my dream YJ 2 months ago. Took it to the only ride of the year with the club that a stock Jeep can do: Our annual Outer Banks trip

20190519_061229.jpg

This YJ is stupid clean. Not a SPEC of rust. Looks like it rolled off the factory floor! I'm in LOVE

Also picked up a 84 CJ with an immaculate tub that I planned to make a great restoration.

20181119_085330.jpg

But a buddy called and offered up one of his CJ's. Was willing to build me a 360 with a 4 speed, and gear a pair of axles to my desire for a SONG. Only problem was it had a pretty rusted tub. So now 2 will become 1

James1.JPG

OK back to the TJ.

I went to my buddy Chris' house one evening and parked my 36's next to his 38's to compare sizes, and noticed something

38vs36.jpg

I had a "gangsta lean" going on pretty bad. I first thought my axle tube was bent...so I had a retired marine buddy tear it out and look it over. While he had it out I ordered some gussets and braces that he added.

And he’s alive! 😲

Looks like you have been busy indeed. Did you build a new house and a garage? It looks like that house is new too.

Either way, talk about impressive!

Reactions: CasterTroy
I'm going in reverse. I bought 8 acres about a mile from my house. Building the garage with a 2 bedroom apartment on that land. Once finished we will move into that (my youngest just graduated HS so we're empty nesters) and sell our current home, and begin building the house on the FRONT of the property. Then the apartment will be for our aging parents, and eventually a guest house/man cave for when I spend too long in the garage with too many dog beers and need to crash, not being able to walk the 900 ft to the house :ROFLMAO:

I want to see more pics of the man cave / garage-ma-hol. If my wife an I ever decide to leave our current house (doubtful) I want to do the same thing...Build the barn-a-minium, then build the house.

We'll be moving to Texas here soon, and one of the main priorities on the new house list (aside from a pool and a nice kitchen according to my wife) is a much larger garage.

We'll be moving to Texas here soon, and one of the main priorities on the new house list (aside from a pool and a nice kitchen according to my wife) is a much larger garage.
the 2 happiest days you own a pool, the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Reactions: Starrs
Moving to TX???