Has anyone found another method for cleaning inside the frame?

mcarthey

I picked up my 2004 wrangler LJ last year end it seems to be pretty low on rust. Despite that, I took an air compressor and stuck it in the frame holes and realized there’s a ton of junk inside the frames.
I’ve seen the video on using some chains attached to a drill, but has anyone found another method for cleaning the inside of the frame? I was considering a drain cleaner attachment for my drill but I’m not sure that would do any good. Has anyone tried that?
Thanks for any tips!
856E2A2C-BA7E-454D-A015-3781E075C1F4.jpeg

I just finished doing my "rust free" Texas Jeep that only spent 3 years in Washington D.C. Power wash at a carwash that the nozzle was small enough to fit into the frame holes. I got about 3 oz of flakes. Long flexible magnetic tool picked up the larger flakes too. I did this 5-7 times until I couldn't feel any flakes. Coated inside with 3 cans of Eastwood internal frame rust encapsulator, followed up with 2 cans of rust reformer paint.

p.s. First thing I do with all my Jeeps is drill 3/4" holes underneath on the frame, about 6" on both sides of the skid plate (where water settles).
Rubi frame holes.jpg
Rust today2.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto to pretty much everything Boogieman's suggested with a couple differences. Personally, I did not like the idea of using the Eastwood over the affected areas because I didn't trust that I could get total coverage. Too worried about even a tiny hole or thinner application wearing down and eventually allowing moisture and other bad stuff in under the coating. That said, many people seem to use it here without issue.

I used Fluid Film instead. Lots of it, and everywhere (between skid and frame, in the frame, on the body, in the torque boxes, wherever I can reach). I periodically rinse/flush everything and reapply it, especially in the fall right before winter when I absolutely pack the frame. I also had really good luck with the extendable/flexible magnet. I still do the rare sweep just to see what I pull out.

I bought a power washer from Harbor Freight for 80 Bucks on sale. I spray the inside of the frame until the water comes out clean then after its dry, I spray fluid film. The outside of the frame was primed, and painted. I'll do it again when I put it to bed for the winter.

Reactions: Apparition
I purchased a drain snake that attaches to a hand drill. Electric works the best due to more power. I attached a small piece of chain to the ball end of the snake and fit it inside the frame. You can drag it back and forth to break up the flaking. I also used a air nozzle that was about a foot long on my compressor. Kept blowing out the junk. Also picked up a water nozzle that you attach to a garden hose for cleaning out a water heater on a travel trailer. I believe it is a Camco product from Amazon. It is long with a bend in the end. It fit in many of the side holes in the frame to spray out more junk. Also drilled 1/2 inch holes about 2 inches from the lower control arm mounts for better internal drainage. A stepped drill worked the best in the steel. I also used a long magnet on a flexible shaft to pull material out. After all the cleaning I sprayed the inside with green Eastwood internal spray. 2 coats from end to end. Use remaining to add a third coat between drain holes for additional coverage where water can collect on the bottom of the frame. I used green so I could see everywhere it went. Then I wire wheeled the outside surface rust off the frame. Outside of the frame and bottom had the surface rust. Top of frame and inside of the frame (0utside) still had factory powder coat. Then the outside of the frame got 2 coats of POR15. Early Fall I coated the inside and outside of the frame with Fluid Film. I used the 360 spray nozzle like provided with the Eastwood internal frame paint. The TJ is a 2002 that started life in Missouri so didn't see that much road salt. The previous owner garaged it in the winter and only used it in the summer, so Minnesota road salt didn't eat it. I spent 30 hours doing a very thorough cleaning and restoration / preservation.