Has anyone taken a Rancho RS9000 shock apart?

If anyone has a Great idea about how to test a shock without expensive equipment that would be great.

What is the experiment? Trying to tune the ride quality with oil viscosity and gas pressure?

Could be. I don’t know. It’s just a theory based on facts. Grassroots Motorsports actually tried the same thing and had a 50 percent change in shock dampening. I will admit they were looking for a stiffer ride not a softer ride. 5wt is the industry standard for shock oil. My guess is a lighter oil would change the shock behavior. Lighter oil will pass faster through the orifice on the shock adjuster. This is also not “tuning” its just swapping oil and changing gas pressure or maybe keeping it the same. I would say it is a mod.

Could be. I don’t know. It’s just a theory based on facts. Grassroots Motorsports actually tried the same thing and had a 50 percent change in shock dampening. I will admit they were looking for a stiffer ride not a softer ride. 5wt is the industry standard for shock oil. My guess is a lighter oil would change the shock behavior. Lighter oil will pass faster through the orifice on the shock adjuster. This is also not “tuning” its just swapping oil and changing gas pressure or maybe keeping it the same. I would say it is a mod.

So, you aren't tuning. You are just wanting to do stuff to the shock that that makes them 50% wetter? Ok.

Can you create an acceptable shock behavior by oil alone? Shocks behavior is a combination of oil, nitrogen pressure and valving. From what I have been told by those smarter than me is that the valving needs a change to fix what I don’t like about the 9000.

I’m trying to figure out if I can improve the shocks we own. I am no expert. Oil does make a difference in how a shock operates if it didn’t than there wouldn’t be so many weights. Yes tuning is a big part but ranchos are not tuneable.. if your experiences with rancho 9000s like me is that they ride hard even on the lowest setting? I’m trying to mod them. It may work or it won’t ? I’m willing to try.

Well 50 percent may be huge and I’m guessing you meant better? Not wetter.

Damping vs dampening. And it sure sounds like you are trying to tune the ride through oil viscosity and gas pressure.

I’m trying to figure out if I can improve the shocks we own. I am no expert. Oil does make a difference in how a shock operates if it didn’t than there wouldn’t be so many weights. Yes tuning is a big part but ranchos are not tuneable.. if your experiences with rancho 9000s like me is that they ride hard even on the lowest setting? I’m trying to mod them. It may work or it won’t ? I’m willing to try.

My issue is by the time they are set low enough for a descent ride they become uncontrollable. I really need a variable type valve that stiffens further in the stroke. I tried several different shocks and all were either too stiff or too light and didn’t offer enough control on large events.

Damping vs dampening. And it sure sounds like you are trying to tune the ride through oil viscosity and gas pressure.

Yeah exactly but tuning involves changing plates and orifices. I’m looking at minimal gains on an off the shelf shock. If it can be 10 to 15 percent better it would be huge. I have no grand illusions.

My issue is by the time they are set low enough for a descent ride they become uncontrollable. I really need a variable type valve that stiffens further in the stroke. I tried several different shocks and all were either too stiff or too light and didn’t offer enough control on large events.

Well they don’t exist yet lol and maybe never. I’m working on it. Remember the adjuster valve on the shocks will still work. This isn’t nasa. I’m talking about changing shock oil with half the weight. I will have to figure out the nitrogen pressure but shouldn’t be a big deal.

Yeah exactly but tuning involves changing plates and orifices. I’m looking at minimal gains on an off the shelf shock. If it can be 10 to 15 percent better it would be huge. I have no grand illusions.

You're still tuning. Maybe you should freeze the shocks, quickly install, go for a drive and get a feel for them. Then you get them hot, go for a drive and compare.

Reactions: Mike_H
You're still tuning. Maybe you should freeze the shocks, quickly install, go for a drive and get a feel for them. Then you get them hot, go for a drive and compare.

I have run these shocks for a couple years. Which is why I’m experimenting. The compression is too harsh. Which leads to oil weight. It’s probably 5wt but I can’t verify that. Forcing heavy vs light weight oil through a needle and seat“which is exactly how 9000s work from what I’ve gathered online. By needle and seat I mean the adjuster.

I have been trying to find out why I should not order a set of the fox performance remote resi. They have slightly better length than my current 9000s and I can have them tuned. Need to find a reliable tuner that does the performance series. But a tunable 10.6” bolt on front shock would prevent me from doing custom mounts in the front. That is a lot of senseless work for .4” of travel.
The rear is a different story all together.

Reactions: JMT
I have run these shocks for a couple years. Which is why I’m experimenting. The compression is too harsh. Which leads to oil weight. It’s probably 5wt but I can’t verify that. Forcing heavy vs light weight oil through a needle and seat“which is exactly how 9000s work from what I’ve gathered online. By needle and seat I mean the adjuster.

The valve tuning is poor. But have fun fixing it with oil viscosity.

I have been trying to find out why I should not order a set of the fox performance remote resi. They have slightly better length than my current 9000s and I can have them tuned. Need to find a reliable tuner that does the performance series. But a tunable 10.6” bolt on front shock would prevent me from doing custom mounts in the front. That is a lot of senseless work for .4” of travel.
The rear is a different story all together.

This is why you and me are here lol 😂

Reactions: Gollywomper
The valve tuning is poor. But have fun fixing it with oil viscosity.

Ah yes. Haven’t even tried yet I don’t even know the results. Again not tuning or fixing anything. Just trying to improve. My idea doesn’t change what rancho made essentially just changes the formula. It also may fail I have no idea?

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Ah yes. Haven’t even tried yet I don’t even know the results. Again not tuning or fixing anything. Just trying to improve. My idea doesn’t change what rancho made essentially just changes the formula. It also may fail I have no idea?

Ok. Have fun not tuning and not fixing anything. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: JMT

Document your attempts. It will be fun to see the results.