Has anyone taken a Rancho RS9000 shock apart?

I assume his motivation is to change the behavior of the shock, which I would agree with. I am not a big fan of my 9000xl shocks. I say go for it as well, or at least talk with a shock tuner to see if an oil weight change will do what is needed.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. I agree with the opinions of rancho 9000s. Stand by.

Reactions: Ocho
I always like when people do weird shit, just for the sake of doing it. I'm currently following a guy on YouTube that's putting a wankel rx7 (rotory) engine in an old Willy's Jeep. Because he ca
Well hopefully it’s not that weird.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. I agree with the opinions of rancho 9000s. Stand by.

Can you create an acceptable shock behavior by oil alone? Shocks behavior is a combination of oil, nitrogen pressure and valving. From what I have been told by those smarter than me is that the valving needs a change to fix what I don’t like about the 9000.

Your question is exactly my question. I don’t like my 9000s and I dont wanna pay the price for adjustable shocks. Im experimenting at this point. The more info I can get the better.

Can you create an acceptable shock behavior by oil alone? Shocks behavior is a combination of oil, nitrogen pressure and valving. From what I have been told by those smarter than me is that the valving needs a change to fix what I don’t like about the 9000.

Gas prevents the fluid from cavitation. The adjusters on the 9000s seem to affect rebound more than compression. I need a lighter compression.. if simply changing to a lighter oil changes this that would be great.

Then after spending money on tooling and parts to try to make it work you won’t be far off from a tunable shock.
Rancho doesn’t even think they are worth repairing and throws them away if a warranty arises.

I wouldn’t even think about attempting this otherwise. I would never try or suggest this in your living room lol.

@Wtrask youre free to do whatever you’re going to do, but I’d sell them to recoup some funds to purchase tunable shocks. Once you cut into one it’s garbage. Doesn’t seem like you’ll be saving money but throwing it away. I would be interested in seeing what happened though.

Reactions: Gollywomper
It's actually rather anticlimactic. The pressure is high, but volume is low. It's just a quick hiss, and if you're unlucky a little oil, but not the explosive force we all expect. Wear your PPE

I imagine it's no more dangerous as emptying a fully pressurized air compressor tank.

Reactions: kmas0n
It's actually rather anticlimactic. The pressure is high, but volume is low. It's just a quick hiss, and if you're unlucky a little oil, but not the explosive force we all expect. Wear your PPE

The torch could’ve been interesting to watch… 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kmas0n
@Wtrask youre free to do whatever you’re going to do, but I’d sell them to recoup some funds to purchase tunable shocks. Once you cut into one it’s garbage. Doesn’t seem like you’ll be saving money but throwing it away. I would be interested in seeing what happened though.

This is the general feedback. I get. I am not going to destroy a shock I am going to go about this carefully. I have a couple of old shocks I didn’t like and this is an experiment that I haven’t seen done yet. If someone has please post the info. I’m not going to cut the shock apart with a torch or grinder or plasma cutter. I’m not going to cut it up at all. The more I look at it. I do have a plan of attack and understanding of what I am trying to accomplish.

This is the general feedback. I get. I am not going to destroy a shock I am going to go about this carefully. I have a couple of old shocks I didn’t like and this is an experiment that I haven’t seen done yet. If someone has please post the info. I’m not going to cut the shock apart with a torch or grinder or plasma cutter. I’m not going to cut it up at all. The more I look at it. I do have a plan of attack and understanding of what I am trying to accomplish.

What is the experiment? Trying to tune the ride quality with oil viscosity and gas pressure?