Heater core recommendation?

This thread was linked from another discussion around heater cores, so I wanted to add my experience with the Brassworks in our ‘05.

Installed but there was little to no heat output — at 210F operating temp best we got was 103F at the vents.

Pulled it because I figured there was an install error. Went to rinse the coolant out of it and figured out there is a complete bypass in the upper tank — as in, water flows into one neck on the tank, then immediately out the other. No coolant is actually being pushed through the core.

Returned it under warranty and it was sent back repainted — but in no way repaired. Bypass still there.

Reinstalled it and still had no heat output. Found a NOS Mopar from a guy who had one sitting on a shelf. Pulled it again and the Brassworks was covered in dried coolant — it was leaking.

Tried to get a refund under warranty — now getting ghosted by the owner.

Avoid at all costs. All the reviews suggest this is a defective design that won’t actually output any heat. I’m here to say they’ll also leak.

Last edited:
This thread was linked from another discussion around heater cores, so I wanted to add my experience with the Brassworks in our ‘05.

Installed There was little to no heat output — at 210F operating temp best we got was 103F at the vents.

Pulled it because I figured there was an install error. Went to rinse the coolant out of it and figured out there is a complete bypass in the upper tank — as in, water flows into one neck on the tank, then immediately put the other. No coolant is actually being pushed through the core.

Returned it under warranty and it was sent back repainted — but in no way repaired. Bypass still there.

Reinstalled it and still had no heat output. Found a NOS Mopar from a guy who had one sitting on a shelf. Pulled it again and the Brassworks was covered in dried coolant — it was leaking.

Tried to get a refund under warranty — now getting ghosted by the owner.

Avoid at all costs. All the reviews suggest this is a defective design that won’t actually output and heat. I’m here to say they’ll also leak.

I've seen more than one report of similar from them.

Well, the Performance Radiator heater core worked great right up until it didn't
Driving to work this morning and POOF! Windshield is completely fogged up, turned off the heater and the entire cab filled up with fog, I'm sure I looked like Cheech and Chong driving down the road
Going to bypass the core for the drive home

Well, the Performance Radiator heater core worked great right up until it didn't
Driving to work this morning and POOF! Windshield is completely fogged up, turned off the heater and the entire cab filled up with fog, I'm sure I looked like Cheech and Chong driving down the road

dang that sux !!!! how long did it last ? seeing as you live somewhere were you NEED good heat i'd look for a used oem core and have it gone through by a rad. shop !

I'm wondering if there is a trans cooler / oil cooler that is of similar dimensions made of brass / copper that could be modified to wrk in this aplication.

The very same happened to my wife and I while driving in a shopping center parking lot. If if had been on the interstate or other high speed highway it could have been really bad. All the coolant went out of the system, we had to be towed. There was about a 4 inch tear in the seam of the core. The core was bypassed until we could get a replacement, good thing it was June. It also took out the evaporator which had to be replaced. Be sure to check for leaks, the dash had to be removed again to replace the evaporator.

The core was a replacement of the oem core, the shop owner never could find what brand it was, or so he said. It was replaced with a Brass works core which is just adequate, no more. We carry a fitting and clamps to bypass the core if it ever happens again

Hose coupler and clamps are being added to the tool bag soon
I could've fixed it and avoided the tow

You actually don't need extra clamps provided you can reuse the ones on your heater lines going to the core. But yeah, that sucks. Been there.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
So did anyone find a suitable replacement core? Sounds like I am going to try to find a local repair shop when mine finally goes, but that is predicated on it being repairable. If not?

So did anyone find a suitable replacement core? Sounds like I am going to try to find a local repair shop when mine finally goes, but that is predicated on it being repairable. If not?

if it aint repairable this is your only option ! there are no mopar cores left
1669824196143.png

Reactions: williambmac

I purchased a heater core from Performance Radiator and have been using it for about 3 months. So far, so good. The heat output is just as good as the stock core.

Is there a quick & easy way to bypass the heater core? I want to drive my Jeep but don't know when I'll be able to carve out 3+ hours to replace it any time soon.