Help identifying differential component

WhiteTJ Sahara

I don’t typically post anything but can anyone help me identify what this tone ring looking thing is? I believe this could be a rubicon differential as it is a Dana 44 with 4.10s. Not sure about the locker thing though. Any help is appreciated! The Jeep it is on is a donor and came with a Dana 35 and 3.07 gears from factory according to the vin. Thanks again!

22D58812-4DA2-4F40-8620-4B7D2281507A.jpeg

772EF716-FD0C-4F40-8274-A4E4E58CE26B.jpeg

the shape of that housing os odd. post good pic of the whole diff and the cover...looks like a WJ aluminum housing almost.

Justin might have it those dimples at the bottom. look like they match an 8.8.

Reactions: Justin Homan
The differential appears to have a LS traction device and that is definitely a tone ring for ABS.
Can't see enough of the differential to determine what differential that is.

Actually after taking a closer look at that differential; I am mistaken about the LS....

Last edited:
the shape of that housing os odd. post good pic of the whole diff and the cover...looks like a WJ aluminum housing almost.

I verified the dimples match my 8.8. A picture from the front could make it even more clear.

Reactions: someguysjeep

I've not checked but I thought the WJ ran tone rings at the housing ends?

I've not checked but I thought the WJ ran tone rings at the housing ends?
not sure sir..... i just knew that housing was oddly flat at the bottom and if the OP claimed it was a 44 it was my best guestimate at a 44 with an odd shape
who knows what someone did. around here some hillbillys weld all kinds of crap into diffs to lock up permanent. for all i know that could be a southern ohio backlash adjuster.
but that housing was definately odd.

So guys if i counted 41 teeth on the ring is that enough to justify it being 4.10 gears? Im not near the Jeep curently but im not completely familiar with this axle.

So guys if i counted 41 teeth on the ring is that enough to justify it being 4.10 gears? Im not near the Jeep curently but im not completely familiar with this axle.
It is if there are 10 teeth on the pinion. If there are 11, it is 3.73, if there are 12, it is 3.41 and so on.