connorwfrench

Hello! Thanks whoever responded to my first thread! But i need a bit more help! So I’m going the 35s Route, and had a few more questions. Recap: 04 LJ Dana 30/Dana 44 auto.

Purchased a 3.5 MetalCloak Gamechanger lift kit with their rock sport shocks and double adjustable control arms. Reason was I’ve just read so many great things and for the price of their lift and shocks and everything included (track bars, break lines, control arms), i just went for it and I’m excited to get it on!

WHEEL HELP
I am going 35 inch tires (with highline fenders, don’t worry) and stuck between a couple wheel options. I’m wondering if 35s on a rim with 4.29” backspacing (-18 offset) will rub or not. Any advice on that would help, as I’ve read to stick between 3.5”-4” of backspacing.

REGEAR HELP
I know I’ll definitely need to regear for the auto, and was quoted a good price from Globex Performance in New Jersey, but my question is: What is the ideal gear ratio for an auto 04 LJ with 35s. Its a weekend warrior rig, will see highway a decent amount, so i need to make sure rpms are ideal on the highway. Globex recommended 4.88 but was wondering if anyone had any other advice as I’ve read some used 5.13. Also plan on going revolution gears as well as their chromoly shafts. Thoughts on Revolution G&A?

BRAKE HELP
Seems pretty knowledgeable that I’ll need some better brakes. Vanco Big Brake kit? Would also be nice to get a nice fresh full setup for the wheels to mount on so i wouldn’t hesitate on that unless anyone else has any ideas? Also any specific model brake kit for that with 17” rims?

STEERING
Currie Currectlync seems to be the no brainer here. Thoughts on others as well?

FRAME
Frame is in good condition, some surface rust. Read a ton watched a ton but any personal experiences cleaning and coating the frame inside and out?

Other than that, I am throwing on some highline fenders so the tires fit on with great clearance with the 3.5’’ lift in my opinion.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated on this one, especially about gear ratio and if 4.29” backspace would work well on a LJ. Thank you guys!! Please post pictures of your rigs as well would love to see!

Wheels
4.29" backspacing likely won't rub. If it does, all it will take is some simple adjustments of the steering stops.

Re-gear
See this thread, it's definitive: What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)
I would strongly recommend Revolution gears.

Brakes
No two ways about it: If you care about your safety and the safety of others, you need a Vancouvers big brake kit. The 15" or 16" big brake kit will work just fine. The 17" big brake kit is meant for massive wheels (i.e. 40s) and will be too much braking power for your 35s.

Steering
Yes, the Currie Currectlync is the best steering setup you can get for your TJ with stock axles.

Frame
Get rid of all the rust you can see with a wire wheel, spray it with satin black paint, and then coat the inside thoroughly with something like Fluid Film or Eastwood Internal Frame Coating.

Reactions: ScottCO
Thanks so much, everything i needed to know right there. Really appreciate the links you sent. So I’m assuming then the 5.13 gears for 35s with the 42RLE? You think these would be the best all around? Really appreciate the response 🙏🏼

FWIW I'm running 8" 15's w/ 35's. 4"BS, and get a little tire rub on a super hard (parking lot) right turn. I have not adjusted my steering stops, I usually don't crank it that far. Tires are centered w/ adj track bar.