Help with the track bar on my TJ

That would explain your problem if that is correct. That old style RC track bar with drop bracket and dpa is for their 4-6" lift. Maybe the PO switched to their 2.5" springs and used the same track bar. I bought a Jeep with that setup on it and removed it ASAP. The Jeep was all over the road and dangerous to drive.

p.s. The shop shouldn't have to guess at the lift height. Stock springs measure 12" front/8" rear.
Boog nailed it. As I was reading this I was thinking the PO likely had a higher lift at first. No reason to install at dropped PA and TB bracket at 2 1/2” of lift (or any other time for that matter).

You're getting some good help here OP.

Going back to stock front track bar geometry and a stock pitman arm should improve your jeep's road manners a bunch. It really helped mine. I'm also glad to hear your frame side track bar mount is still there so you can just remove the non-stock mount.

The Rock Jock and JKS track bars are both good options (I've held both in my hands but installed the JKS because it showed up 1st). The axle side bushing is urethane on the JKS and rubber on the Rock Jock. Both have a big johnny joint style pivots on the frame side and use a larger than stock frame side bolt (5/8" if I remember correctly). The Rock Jock bar is welded slightly to front of center of the frame side johnny joint which may help diff cover clearance in some situations, though it didn't matter on my TJ. The JKS bar was about $100 less.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Thanks again for all the help here all! Finally got around to doing what you mentioned (removed the old track bar, drop track bar mount, drop pitman arm, and installed the oem pitman arm with a JKS adjustable track bar) and it drives like a different vehicle. Still need to do my toe in, but should be able to knock that out this weekend.