Hey

Some of the old songs used to have a line "i sold my soul to the company store". In the past the company that you works for would sell you stuff on credit (extreme high prices) so you would alwas be in debt to them and you couldn't ever quit because you owed them money.
This was outlawed. However, snap-on still runs that kind of practice. They will give you credit and set you up with a payment plan. High interest. Now you can quit but they will track you down and garnish your wages. They are a predatory company that feeds on the new mechanic. Most new guy have just got out of tech school and have huge student loans. Most cant afford real good tools and the see the other guys with snapon boxs. Then comes in the salesman with the line. Don't worry about the cost. We have an easy payment plan.

What drives me the most nuts.

From "us news and reports"
The average salary for an auto mechanic was $41,400 in 2016.

Even if you saved everything from your paycheck. Assuming 30% tax and benefits. You lived at home with mom and dad. You walked to work. I would still take 2 years just to pay for that set of tools. There are much cheaper options that havd the same lifetime warranty.

I'm not even sure why you'd need Snap-On. Craftsman for instance has a lifetime warranty on all their tools. Anytime I've broken one of my Craftsman tools, I walk into the store and they swap it out, no questions asked.

Reactions: Boinked
What drives me the most nuts.

From "us news and reports"
The average salary for an auto mechanic was $41,400 in 2016.

Even if you saved everything from your paycheck. Assuming 30% tax and benefits. You lived at home with mom and dad. You walked to work. I would still take 2 years just to pay for that set of tools. There are much cheaper options that havd the same lifetime warranty.

I think the garage the mechanic worked for would buy the tools. I am sure there is a value argument to be made.. longer lasting lasting tools.. faster wirk, less down time.. etc..

Reactions: Chris
I think the garage the mechanic worked for would buy the tools.
In a perfect world they would. Unfortunately owners are cheap skates that want more profit.
The other side to that is tools owned by companies tend to grow legs and walk away.

Technically the Snap-On tools would be a tax write-off since they'd be for business. So you'd probably only get 50% back on the tax write-off, but it's still something.

LOL So, just for shits and giggles, I went to the website and hit the "Add to cart" to see what they charge for shipping something like that. Instead, this is what they say:

* The quantity you are requesting is greater than the quantities currently available. Please read the Gift Card and Backorder Policy in the left panel of this page.

Really? And I was only gonna order one set! So they can just forget about it, now. They've lost my business. For the same price, I think I'll just go buy out the entire inventory of my nearest Harbor Freight! Just saying... :D

LOL So, just for shits and giggles, I went to the website and hit the "Add to cart" to see what they charge for shipping something like that. Instead, this is what they say:

* The quantity you are requesting is greater than the quantities currently available. Please read the Gift Card and Backorder Policy in the left panel of this page.

Really? And I was only gonna order one set! So they can just forget about it, now. They've lost my business. For the same price, I think I'll just go buy out the entire inventory of my nearest Harbor Freight! Just saying... :D

That kind of money will buy you a house in some places!

Reactions: Squatch
I walk into the store and they swap it out, no questions asked.
Not anymore, they only do that for certain tools, I was pretty upset they wouldn't hand over another $50 torque wrench. Good news, I bought a new $50 torque wrench. I also had to give my name, phone #, make some dumb account just to get a new screwdriver.

my $212 in harbor freight tools
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKMzJm9K7tHluz9SU6zrA2S-P544OHKpzZSUkLH9k97-pPa2aI.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
As Snap-Ons tag line says "There is a difference".

Yes, Craftsmans is great for DIY as are many others, but for daily, hard use Snap on is worth the money. Buy once, cry once. Harbor Freight, is.....well it is.

I've seen plenty of busted knuckles and rounded bolts that where easily removed by Snap on. Rarely need warranty. A lot of you are fixated on the "lifetime warranty" but won't touch a waterpump, starter, radiator or sensor with one. Why?

Nobody I know buys their Snapon tools all at once, they upgrade continuously, after 30+ years I'm still buying, upgrading, collecting if you will.

The 20k a year guy uses Harbor Freight and Craftsmen, the $40k guy is upgrading, any $80 to 100k guys have Snapon and Mac. A lot of you complain about bad mechanics, find one with a box full of Snapon and you'll find a good one.

The shop owner is not responsible for basic, common tools. Equipment, yes. Should they buy your boots too? As far as profits (that's a whole other topic, but), yeah, we go to work to make money, just like you.

The hypocrisy is amazing. Bash companies for ripping off designs, being made overseas, poor customer service, poor quality. Snap on does none of that yet those that have never used them pile on. Buy American! Well, uh, damn that's expensive. Nevermind.

Just like your Jeep, buy the best you can afford, it's your time, money and knuckles.

As Snap-Ons tag line says "There is a difference".

Yes, Craftsmans is great for DIY as are many others, but for daily, hard use Snap on is worth the money. Buy once, cry once. Harbor Freight, is.....well it is.

I've seen plenty of busted knuckles and rounded bolts that where easily removed by Snap on. Rarely need warranty. A lot of you are fixated on the "lifetime warranty" but won't touch a waterpump, starter, radiator or sensor with one. Why?

Nobody I know buys their Snapon tools all at once, they upgrade continuously, after 30+ years I'm still buying, upgrading, collecting if you will.

The 20k a year guy uses Harbor Freight and Craftsmen, the $40k guy is upgrading, any $80 to 100k guys have Snapon and Mac. A lot of you complain about bad mechanics, find one with a box full of Snapon and you'll find a good one.

The shop owner is not responsible for basic, common tools. Equipment, yes. Should they buy your boots too? As far as profits (that's a whole other topic, but), yeah, we go to work to make money, just like you.

The hypocrisy is amazing. Bash companies for ripping off designs, being made overseas, poor customer service, poor quality. Snap on does none of that yet those that have never used them pile on. Buy American! Well, uh, damn that's expensive. Nevermind.

Just like your Jeep, buy the best you can afford, it's your time, money and knuckles.
I can agree with some of this, to an extent. I have always been a fan of Craftsman because of the value. You do get an acceptable (quite acceptable) level of quality for the money. But Snap-on...the only reason I don't own Snap-on tools is because I can't afford them. Their quality is impeccable. Even the comfort level when using them is the best. But I just cannot afford them. I once had a box full of Snap-on tools. A box, as in, a shoe box. I traded a shoe-box full of Snap-on tools for a '72 Olds Cutlass convertible project.

Snap-on. If I could, I would. But I can't, so I won't. ;)

I have a 200-some odd set from Crescent. It has half metric and half SAE. I think it cost me $150 or so, its been to long. It has been amazing for the last 15 years. I finally busted my 3/4 ratchet doing ball joints, and I am not even mad because that was a lot of force to break them loose. My only complaint were the sockets only went up to 19mm or 3/4". But that allows me to add to my collection.

Reactions: Chris and tomtaylz
As a fairly new member I would like to say I’m thankful I posted a picture when I signed up. Ha. What the heck? Really - isn’t that a thing? If there’s not a picture it didn’t happen. We say it all the time. Really enjoying the forum and for the record I have a mixture of Craftsman & Home Depot tools. Some good some junk. LOL. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Hillarious thread. We definitely live in the age of the perpetually offended. Lol.

But for tools, as a professional for over 25 years I can completely agree. Craftsman, Husky and the like are great for for weekend mechanics and hobbiests but they don’t last with everyday use. I use them at home. At my last count I had well over $150,000 invested in tools and they’ve paid for themselves many times over. I use Snap On, Mac, Matco, and Ingersol Rand for air tools. They were bought mostly on dealer credit with weekly payments and no interest. Never a problem with a warranty replacement either. Most of my tool purchased anymore are specialty tools. Harbor freight tools are great if you need to modify a tool into a specialty tool such as bent or shortened wrenches, slotted sockets, etc because of the price.

Hillarious thread. We definitely live in the age of the perpetually offended. Lol.

But for tools, as a professional for over 25 years I can completely agree. Craftsman, Husky and the like are great for for weekend mechanics and hobbiests but they don’t last with everyday use. I use them at home. At my last count I had well over $150,000 invested in tools and they’ve paid for themselves many times over. I use Snap On, Mac, Matco, and Ingersol Rand for air tools. They were bought mostly on dealer credit with weekly payments and no interest. Never a problem with a warranty replacement either. Most of my tool purchased anymore are specialty tools. Harbor freight tools are great if you need to modify a tool into a specialty tool such as bent or shortened wrenches, slotted sockets, etc because of the price.