Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

I think I could afford a few hotel rooms for that.

I stayed in more hotel rooms in the last month than I probably have my entire adult life. 9 out of 10 hotels suck imho.

I've backpacked many a mile and I've tent camped for years. But I'm too freaking OLD for that now.

You say that like tent camping is something you pay your way out of to graduate from. I'm looking forward to our trailer which fills a void that tent camping can't meet, but tent camping will always have a special place in my heart along with a sleeping bag in my trailer for sleeping under the skies.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I stayed in more hotel rooms in the last month than I probably have my entire adult life. 9 out of 10 hotels suck imho.
I’ve lived in hotels all around the world for months on end. I’ll be in hotel rooms the next two weeks. You get used to them.

Reactions: reddvltj
I do a mix of home remodels / huge jobs at a site for a week at a time. Cot sleeping / living sucks in unfinished homes, and driving eats many hours. Plus weekend swap meets / distant auctions / events, a Super C can tow to support those jobs / events... Then Middle of nowhere "camping" and beach camping. A RV is seriously better in bad weather, and probably the largest reason I'm trying to upgrade to "glamping" ...the Girlfriend. Just need a mobile base at this point that blends into the hobbies / life. That and I have plans to mod it to the moon + use it as a guest house when friends / family are in town + don't get taxed on the solar / massive battery system on the RV / Trailer vs on the house + RV is a great end of the world vehicle right? :p I also agree with Wildman, a person gets old + sick of shit and just wants to relax, and a larger rig helps that.

You say that like tent camping is something you pay your way out of to graduate from. I'm looking forward to our trailer which fills a void that tent camping can't meet, but tent camping will always have a special place in my heart along with a sleeping bag in my trailer for sleeping under the skies.

Nope it's not a graduation from it's a natural course of things at least for me. When I was 40 I use to laugh at all the people in RV's and thought I'd never want one. I was happy to sleep in a tent or a ground pad. Even after I'd been wounded I was thinking I'd be OK with tents but bought my camper and it was like OK I can deal with this.
So I have nothing against tent camping all I'm trying to say is that just because I have a motorhome doesn't make it NOT camping. If I'm sitting around the campfire and enjoying it with you why does it matter where I go to sleep at?

And you aren't old yet either. As I've said a few times my body doesn't like sleeping on the ground anymore.

I’ve lived in hotels all around the world for months on end. I’ll be in hotel rooms the next two weeks. You get used to them.

I use to spend 9 months out of the year living in motels and did that for 3 years. As tox said most motels SUCK.

Nope it's not a graduation from it's a natural course of things at least for me. When I was 40 I use to laugh at all the people in RV's and thought I'd never want one. I was happy to sleep in a tent or a ground pad. Even after I'd been wounded I was thinking I'd be OK with tents but bought my camper and it was like OK I can deal with this.
So I have nothing against tent camping all I'm trying to say is that just because I have a motorhome doesn't make it NOT camping. If I'm sitting around the campfire and enjoying it with you why does it matter where I go to sleep at?

And you aren't old yet either. As I've said a few times my body doesn't like sleeping on the ground anymore.

I use to spend 9 months out of the year living in motels and did that for 3 years. As tox said most motels SUCK.

Man, you guys are stayin’ in the wrong hotels….

😉

Man, you guys are stayin’ in the wrong hotels….

😉

Hey I'm a Motel 6 budget kind of guy... Military doesn't pay for the expensive motels.

I like having my home on wheels... I can eat out when I want or cook my own when I want. I know who's sat on my shitter last and slept on my mattress last. And if I want to I can sleep under the stars anytime I feel like it. But when it's spitting rain or snow I can recline in my heated recliner and watch a movie.

Got a call from the RV dealer today and the coach is moving along well. The new roof is on along with the new Rec Pro A/C units. They said that they are impressed with these units as this was the first ones that they had installed.

They were able to find a awning for the coach but they couldn't find a 20' unit and had to get a 13' one. But the good thing was that this unit has the wind sensor.

Also had new Fantastic fans installed. And will be updating the manual TV antenna with a new Windgard unit.
Also am adding 1 190w solar panel to go with the original 100w panel already there. I'll also have a MPPT controller installed at this time.

All you +50 age jeepers who ground tend 3 nights plus please share your tent comfort arrangements or forever hold your peace.

Yep, I've got a cot and a self inflating pad for it. I'll throw a poncho over it if needed due to weather but I ain't sleeping on the ground anymore.

I also have a 3 layer military type sleeping bag that has a waterproof cover for it. And I also alwyas carry two wool blankets and 2 Woobies in my TJ at all times. Plus a poncho too so I've got rain gear if I get stuck on the trail.

I did find out that I have enough room to add a total of 5 solar panels to my roof. That would allow me 950w of solar power if I have all 190w panels. Add in some of the newer Battle Born lithium batteries and I think I'd be OK. But that will be for a later date as I don't have $17K to drop on a full system. My plans are to do this a little at a time.

I did find out that I have enough room to add a total of 5 solar panels to my roof. That would allow me 950w of solar power if I have all 190w panels. Add in some of the newer Battle Born lithium batteries and I think I'd be OK. But that will be for a later date as I don't have $17K to drop on a full system. My plans are to do this a little at a time.

I’m thinking of the same approach. First thing for me is DC To DC charger. Does yours have that? Then you can charge at 40A driving down road.

I’m thinking of the same approach. First thing for me is DC To DC charger. Does yours have that? Then you can charge at 40A driving down road.

No I don't think it does. This is why I'm adding the second solar panel now and a 50 amp MPPT which will get me started. Then I'll add new items as I can. The first will be a 3000w inverter that is a pure sine wave unit. After a couple of years of use with the 6V batteries that are there now I'll start adding lithium batteries.

Here's an OVER THE TOP rig...

2023 Ford f-550 Ascender 30A
$1,250,000

2023 Ford F-550 Ascender 30a ·
Truck · Driven 1,250 miles
1 of 7 2023 Ascender by 27North!
🏁 Deploys Drone
🏁 25 mile Radar
🏁 GOST Security System
🏁 All Walnut Interior
🏁 Premium Yacht Appliances & Electric System
🏁 Military Grade 40” Tires w/Beadlocks
🏁 All Leather and Suede Seating
🏁 King Size Bed w/ Smart TVs & Lighting
🏁 Mega Speakers by Wet Sounds
TM Message for full build sheet.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/731...73549103504372/?sale_post_id=1173549103504372

1664043431744.png

1664043457499.png

1664043475243.png

1664043496201.png

1664043523321.png

1664043540404.png

1664043563015.png

1664043590695.png

1664043608491.png

WOW I don't remember things being this messed up when I worked on RV's but they sure seem to be now. I got a call from the service manager who is dealing with my rig this morning right before I left for my doctor's appointment. It seems that there was more confusion on the awning. The one that I'd been told was ordered hadn't been. They'd found another awning and it could have been gotten in a 19.8' length but the prices of these things are FREAKIN crazy. $7,689 plus $965 for the wiring installation kit.
And then the 13' awning they'd said they could get that would have a wind sensor now doesn't. But I'm to the point where it was like screw it just order the awning and be done with it. Now I have to wait 8-12 weeks for it to come in. So I should be able to pick up my rig next week and then will have to take it back to have the awning installed once it arrives.

But this will give me a chance to get some camping trip in this fall.

WOW,

OK so $8300 for the work they did now and that doesn't include the price of the awning.

These were the A/C units I had installed.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condi...5k-quiet-ac-with-heat-pump-remote-non-ducted/

So that is $3K of the $8300.

Then Maxx Air fans

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OW5JG2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So another $700

And a new solar panel and a MPPT controller for it. But don't know what the price of all that was.

I'm going to a VA appointment for a new study at the CLIMB center on Tuesday and then going up to my sisters afterwards. Then I'll go over on Wednesday and pickup the coach. I'll get some pictures of the new roof then and all the other new items. Plan on staying at my sisters until Friday and then head back home.

Picked up the coach this morning from the dealership.
The roofline is sleeker with the new A/C and no satellite dish.

20221005_104315.jpg

From the drivers side you can see the Windgard 360 antenna.

20221005_104354.jpg

I haven't gotten any pictures of the roof yet but this is the controller for the MPPT and solar panel.

20221005_120817.jpg

I also haven't taken any of the new A/C from the interior.