House fire

Wow, this happened before I joined so I never saw it.

My brother had a very similar experience. Doing a remodel, ran a Sawzall through a wire, started the attic on fire. House got torn down to the studs and rewired, but he took the check and spent it all on materials, then did most of the work himself and with help of some connections he had as a logistics manager for Habitat for Humanity. Ended up almost doubling his square footage but took forever and ended up selling the house in a divorce before it was really finished.

Reactions: ac_
Wow, this happened before I joined so I never saw it.

My brother had a very similar experience. Doing a remodel, ran a Sawzall through a wire, started the attic on fire. House got torn down to the studs and rewired, but he took the check and spent it all on materials, then did most of the work himself and with help of some connections he had as a logistics manager for Habitat for Humanity. Ended up almost doubling his square footage but took forever and ended up selling the house in a divorce before it was really finished.
I like hearing other peoples stories they are all so different. It sounds like your brother had a couple of patches of bad luck. I did modify my house too. By I, I mean hired it out. (I fix Jeeps) I moved the kitchen to the other side of the room, and knocked out some walls. I opened the space up, but didn't add any square footage. The actual rebuild, as stressful as it was, only took about 6 months. We did push a couple feet into the garage to make the kitchen bigger, but that is OK because I also have a big remote garage, so it worked out.