How are you carrying extra fuel in your TJ?

I’m is there really such thing as extra fuel? It’s going to get used eventually so it’s not really extra. Someone asks if I have a extra cigarette.. nope gonna smoke them all.

carry one there in Or-fab tire carrier. I only used it once though because i missed an exit and was not sure if able to get the next one on the long drive through nothing.

( i got rid of the hi-lift jack)
IMG_20170705_123739 (1).jpg

Reactions: EJD
That very exposed gas container wouldn't last long in my wheeling conditions.

Jerry is special. Mere mortals don't have the same concerns.

Here are the exposed fuel and water cans on my old CJ-7, taken in 1999 or 2000 someplace on the Rubicon Trail (as I recall with fuel and one water can full, the other water can empty). I sold that jeep to my sister in 2011, who ran the Rubicon Trail 6-7 weeks ago with the same can rack - still undamaged after all these years.

Rubicon2000-1.jpg

The bottom line is that some people need to carry additional fuel and others don't. It has nothing to do with whether one is new to the sport.

BTW, I've only been behind the wheel of a jeep for 54 years.

Here are the exposed fuel and water cans on my old CJ-7, taken in 1999 or 2000 someplace on the Rubicon Trail (as I recall with fuel and one water can full, the other water can empty).
If you can't complete the 22 mile long Rubicon trail without carrying extra gas I don't know what to say. I just finished the same trail without carrying any extra gas and finished with somewhere just over 1/3 of a tank.

Last edited:
Sure you do. Some "my shit doesn't stink" or "only clueless newbies" bullshit.
Whatever. Only one guy in my group needed any extra gas because he had a fuel line issue.

Last edited:
I stopped carrying extra fuel 15 years ago, I figured out it just isn't needed for 99.9% of us on 99.9% of the trails. It seems the newer the Jeeper the more apt they are to feel the need to carry extra fuel. Not to mention our gas gauges are notoriously and grossly pessimistic indicating we're almost out of gas when there's usually still 3-5 gallons left.
I don’t carry extra fuel during the warmer months but do when there’s snow on the ground. I’ve been caught without extra fuel during Winter runs 3-4 times now where I barely made it to a fuel station without running out. 3 or 4 am with the low fuel light on for quite a while is a bit nerve wracking to say the least.
I’ve been on relatively easy dry weather trails during the Winter where they turn into 18 plus hours of pushing through snow. It’s more for peace of mind than anything else.

Having gone from an enormous full expedition rear bumper to light weight and barely there, I strongly encourage this. Avoid the unnecessary weight and bulk wherever you can. If you occasionally and genuinely (and honestly) think you need extra fuel, figure out a temporary mount that lets you carry a can when you need it. As best as you can, keep the weight low and as close to the middle of the Jeep as you can. Hanging heavy clutter far off the back the way swing outs and ORfab do, is the worst place to put stuff.

One of the best things I have done to my Jeep is get rid of the heavy and bulky double jerry can swing out carrier and bumper. Lugging around the extra 150lbs to solve a very rare problem simply wasn't worth the drawbacks for everything else the Jeep gets used for. Someday I still might figure out a way to put a small can on my Exogate, but it will be as light, low profile and removable as I can figure out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
First, I don’t rock crawl. I just drive interesting old mine roads, forest service and BLM roads, etc. I have only needed extra fuel once but that one time was enough to convince me not to leave it behind. I carry one 3 gallon and one 2 gallon Rotopax jug on a homemade mount that places them low and in-tight next to the spare. Note that I can actually see out my rear window. Sometimes depending on circumstances I replace the 2 gallon gas jug with a water jug. This works well for me.

09789BF5-2022-4267-8A9A-2B0CF8814160.jpeg

2C33550D-80D6-4AB2-BA81-7622A2F38319.jpeg

Last edited:
Fact is most people don't need 35" tires. A few do that need them but most don't.
Fact is most people don't need extra gas. A few do that need it but most don't.

Don't be the guy in the thread about 35" tires who wont shut up about 31s.

Fact is most people don't need 35" tires. A few do that need them but most don't.
Fact is most people don't need extra gas. A few do that need it but most don't.

Don't be the guy in the thread about 35" tires who wont shut up about 31s.

And some have been on both sides of the discussion and can offer insight into what is practical and what is little more than Jeep jewelery.

Excessive expo crap can be just as functionally problematic as 35s on a street queen.

Reactions: Sancho and rasband
Everyone has different needs. As noted above, my jerry cans are usually empty unless there is a reason to fill them.

Here is one example of a situation where carrying additional fuel is not only prudent, the failure to carry additional fuel would be risky at best:

In December and January I will be traveling the length of Baja California. One particular stretch on the route back north is 225 miles between Pemex stations. There is no cell service. No AAA.

19 gallons x 16 mpg = 304 miles, plenty of gas on paper. However, 16 mpg is highway mileage on a good day. Not every jeep gets that mileage and the fuel mileage threads on the various jeep forums contain numerous posts from jeepers who regularly get only 12-14 mpg in their TJ's. 14 mpg nets only 266 miles and 12 mpg only 228 miles, i.e. fumes as one rolls into that Pemex station after 225 miles. What if it is slow going or something goes awry? What if that Pemex station at the end of the 225 miles is out of fuel as often happens during the holiday season when so many Mexican families and American tourists are traveling? The next Pemex station is 60 miles farther with no guarantee that it will have fuel if the first one doesn't.

In this situation it would be foolhardy not to carry at least 5 gallons of additional gasoline. [And some cerveza. :)]

Su experiencia puede ser diferente.

I carry a 5 gal fuel pack with me on certain excursions. Not sure why anyone would be hating on the concept of carrying extra fuel. Its simply a precaution most of the time and sometimes a necessity. Am I wrong to think using 4WD burns more fuel? So if there was a trip where you had to use 4WD more than you would use more gas, right? Most of the time when I carry extra fuel it is so that I can explore more while in the backcountry. In case I branch out further than I think or am able to explore more territory while already out there. Seems like a no brainer to be prepared.

IMG_2167.jpg

I have a 5 gallon generic fuel pack like Rotopax that is pretty awesome. It has a slim profile and I can put in a number of places in/on my Jeep that does not affect or interfere with anything. I highly recommend these guys, plus it was the only molded fuel pack available in OD Green!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FS8Q4CS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That's a trip I hope to do some day also.

It is one of my bucket list trips, a reprise of my first overland trip to Cabo San Lucas in the mid-1960's, long before Mex Hwy 1 was paved.

Next summer I plan to float the Sacramento River from the Keswick Dam just downstream from Shasta Dam all the way to the San Francisco Bay. People who have done it say it takes about 10 days.

Someday I still might figure out a way to put a small can on my Exogate, but it will be as light, low profile and removable as I can figure out.
I might get a bracket for the exogate that lets you carry 2.5 gal right next to the tire on the exogate. Pretty small and doesn’t take away clearance. For now though I haven’t needed extra gas.
908853B3-DDFF-4906-B0C1-1D4B8680CBBD.png

Having gone from an enormous full expedition rear bumper to light weight and barely there, I strongly encourage this. Avoid the unnecessary weight and bulk wherever you can. If you occasionally and genuinely (and honestly) think you need extra fuel, figure out a temporary mount that lets you carry a can when you need it. As best as you can, keep the weight low and as close to the middle of the Jeep as you can. Hanging heavy clutter far off the back the way swing outs and ORfab do, is the worst place to put stuff.

One of the best things I have done to my Jeep is get rid of the heavy and bulky double jerry can swing out carrier and bumper. Lugging around the extra 150lbs to solve a very rare problem simply wasn't worth the drawbacks for everything else the Jeep gets used for. Someday I still might figure out a way to put a small can on my Exogate, but it will be as light, low profile and removable as I can figure out.

I like your thinking, and figure you are as familiar with the Jeep after market as am I. Here's what I've done for my TJ: a GenRight extended range fuel tank and steel skid adds 5 to 6 gallons to the OEM capacity and keeps it down between the frame rails, as the Jeep Gods intended; the MorRyde tailgate hinges move the hinge function outboard, leaving enough room for a plate mount that accepts a 2 gallon RotoPax (gas or water); both sides now have frame mounted MorRyde 2" receiver jerry can carriers between the door hinges and front flares and they are not noticeable unless the can trays are in place, then they can carry full 20 liter cans or a pair of 2 gallon RotoPaxes each or ammo cans with recovery gear, etc.

With just the internal tank, my range is 375 miles (4.0, 3550, 3.73 on 31s, leaving 3 gallons in the tank) on Texas hill country back roads. The external capacity is another 2 to 12 gallons, but only when I want it, for a total max range pushing 600 miles. Prudent usage means filling the outside cans at the last pre-trail opportunity and emptying them as soon as possible.

I'm a fan of multiple use functions, too. With another 2" receiver in the winch cavity of the ARB front bumper, I'll have such receivers on all four sides, perfect for mounting a windproof hail cover for those of us in thunderstorm country. Strong frame mounted receivers could also be useful for camping equipment or job site tool mounts.

Those of you who are also fans of understated or inconspicuous Jeep capabilities will appreciate some of these mods.

Reactions: Shamu and jjvw