How can I fix a bent C knuckle?

my driver front side C knuckle that's welded on the axle has bent. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
Id rather not replace the entire axle. It's still drivable but it's very noticeable

View attachment 6244
If you REALLY dont want to replace the housing, get an offset ball joint, just rotate it to kick the wheel out instead of correcting caster. Then weld on a gusset...

Last edited:
Has anyone put the Dana 44 inner knuckles on their TJ from crane axle? I just got off the phone with them and they stated these WILL NOT fit a TJ.

Hi Jerry, I know this an old thread but I was hoping you could recommend that shop in Southern California, that could possibly repair a bent C knuckle on a Dana 44 axle.

Appreciate it. Thank you

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Jerry, I know this an old thread but I was hoping you could recommend that shop in Southern California, that could possibly repair a bent C knuckle on a Dana 44 axle.

Appreciate it. Thank you
One name comes to mind... @mrblaine who is on this forum. PM him, his shop is in Quail Valley in Riverside County. My guess is he'd replace the bent C.

Reactions: TheBlackRubi

Appreciate it. Thank you

First, I don't have a shop, I'm not open to the public. I help folks solve problems. What makes you think the inner C is bent?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
First, I don't have a shop, I'm not open to the public. I help folks solve problems. What makes you think the inner C is bent?
Hello, A shop told me that had just replaced my drag link after a case of the death wobbles. It is hard for me to see visually, I'm not all that mechanically inclined. But it appears the driver tire is angled. I have outside edge tire wear and constant pull that no one has been about to solve. I recently, bent a steer smarts tie rod which has been replaced but I believe that this is when my C bent.

Hello, A shop told me that had just replaced my drag link after a case of the death wobbles. It is hard for me to see visually, I'm not all that mechanically inclined. But it appears the driver tire is angled. I have outside edge tire wear and constant pull that no one has been about to solve. I recently, bent a steer smarts tie rod which has been replaced but I believe that this is when my C bent.

It needs to be tossed on a good alignment rack with someone other than a fool at the controls. The read out will tell if it is able to be adjusted with a set of adjustable ball joints before you head down the road of replacing the inner C. If it is within 3 degrees of correct, ball joints will fix it.

Has anyone checked the squareness of the front axle to the frame and made sure that there are no other issues causing the pull?

It needs to be tossed on a good alignment rack with someone other than a fool at the controls. The read out will tell if it is able to be adjusted with a set of adjustable ball joints before you head down the road of replacing the inner C. If it is within 3 degrees of correct, ball joints will fix it.

Has anyone checked the squareness of the front axle to the frame and made sure that there are no other issues causing the pull?
Yes, I was told that the axle is square. Thank you. I will see about getting the alignment specs and see if the ball joints might work out for me now that I know it has to be within 3 degrees. I was reading on offset ball joints earlier today.

Yes, I was told that the axle is square. Thank you. I will see about getting the alignment specs and see if the ball joints might work out for me now that I know it has to be within 3 degrees. I was reading on offset ball joints earlier today.

My helper lives in Corona if you are interested in trying to set up with him so he can put eyes on it. He is one of the few I trust.

Yep I'm at keesler!

Edit: didn’t notice the original thread date.

There’s a very well respected shop in Mississippi that does actual custom axle work. I’ll get the name of the shop from my uncle tomorrow.

Edit, it’s going to much cheaper if you go to a u pull it style scrap yard and get a hp or standard 30 housing from something like a Cherokee, but more physical work on your end.

Last edited:
Has anyone put the Dana 44 inner knuckles on their TJ from crane axle? I just got off the phone with them and they stated these WILL NOT fit a TJ.
Edit: didn’t notice the original thread date.

people have done done it. Maybe not a specific crane c. But a 44 inner c has been put on an 30. Check pirate4x4. They have some old old threads with stuff your looking into.
You’ll need new inner axles. Search and read. My uncle built a super lightweight buggy in 03 or 04 and used a hp shaved 30 with 44 outers.

Last edited: