How can I fix a rough ride?

Slightly less than your bump stop is permitting. The shock can't be allowed to bottom out before the bump stop stops more axle uptravel.

Ok, I will try to cycle my suspension this weekend, but I know that my shocks aren’t bottoming out because my tires will hit the flare before the shocks bottom out and they haven’t hit the flare yet. Do you think my Jeep will squat much with the tire carrier and 90 lb tire and wheel combo because will probably order a spacer, so I can do that all at once, but I don’t want to have a large front rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I will try to cycle my suspension this weekend, but I know that my shocks aren’t bottoming out because my tires will hit the flare before the shocks bottom out and they haven’t hit the flare yet. Do you think my Jeep will squat much with the tire carrier and 90 lb tire and wheel combo because will probably order a spacer, so I can do that all at once, but I don’t want to have a large front rake.
A tire being able to rub hard on the flare is a definite problem indicating the bump stops are too short. The tire should not be pushing into the flare or the fender, especially given that there are sharp screws up inside the fender area. It definitely sounds like you need to install taller bump stops.

Yes your rear axle will likely sag under all that weight. A higher spring rate spring or a spacer would help.

Last edited:
The tires can safely be brought up into the flexible flares as long as the tires aren't digging into anything that will cause damage.

Your tire being able to rub on the flare is a definite problem indicating your bump stops are too short.

Yes your rear axle will likely sag under all that weight. A higher spring rate spring or a spacer would help.

My tire has not hit the flare yet, but I know I need more bump stop, that is why I want to get this right by cycling my suspension this weekend, but I want to get the spacers so I can install those while I have the coils out.

I think I have a fairly stiff spring rate, but I will post up a picture later of how my Jeep sits now and tell me if adding that weight and the .25 would level me out pretty good. They are the procomp springs you recommended. I don’t remember the spring rate though. Would I need to cycle the rear too even though it is nowhere near my flare?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The tires can safely be brought up into the flexible flares as long as the tires aren't digging into anything that will cause damage.

Yeah, my tires stick out a smidge past the flare, so it would contact the flexible part first.

My tire has not hit the flare yet, but I know I need more bump stop, that is why I want to get this right by cycling my suspension this weekend, but I want to get the spacers so I can install those while I have the coils out.

I think I have a fairly stiff spring rate, but I will post up a picture later of how my Jeep sits now and tell me if adding that weight and the .25 would level me out pretty good. They are the procomp springs you recommended. I don’t remember the spring rate though. Would I need to cycle the rear too even though it is nowhere near my flare?

I think the Procomp spring rate is 175 in/lbs. What that means is that you need to add 175 lbs (over that axle) to cause the springs to compress 1". So now you know how to figure that out...

I think the Procomp spring rate is 175 in/lbs. What that means is that you need to add 175 lbs (over that axle) to cause the springs to compress 1". So now you know how to figure that out...

So if I put on a 175lb carrier with tire, it would sag 1 inch? Or would it be cumulative of the two springs and be 350lbs?

If you know the amount of additional weight you are adding in the future, just add that amount of additional weight to that area and see what happens. Bags of cement, buckets of water or children of a known weight will work

No need to make things complicated with the spring rates yet.

If you know the amount of additional weight you are adding in the future, just add that amount of additional weight to that area and see what happens. Bags of cement, buckets of water or children of a known weight will work

Ok, I’ll have my brother stand on it then. Thanks!

Reactions: jjvw
[emoji23][emoji23]

On a side note, do you think longer end links will help my ride because the sway bar points slightly down.

Not enough to be noticeable. Though, do check all the bushings and make sure they are snug. Any uncontrolled movement from worn bushings anywhere will all add up to increased unpleasantness.

Reactions: Bruce20

Hey JMT, so that is the rear spring rate for the Procomps, correct? The front and rear spring rates are going to be different, so I just wanted to double check. I believe the stock rates are 160 lbs rear and 140 lbs front. The 2" BDS coils I run are 200 rear and 158 front (same as the BDS 3" springs). Just for comparison sake.

Edit: it appears the 4.0 TJ's had a wide variety of springs and rates stock, so the 160/140 is mostly likely a heavier model like the Rubi or Sahara with hard top etc.

Last edited:
Hey JMT, so that is the rear spring rate for the Procomps, correct? The front and rear spring rates are going to be different, so I just wanted to double check. I believe the stock rates are 160 lbs rear and 140 lbs front. The 2" BDS coils I run are 200 rear and 158 front (same as the BDS 3" springs). Just for comparison sake.

Edit: it appears the 4.0 TJ's had a wide variety of springs and rates stock, so the 160/140 is mostly likely a heavier model like the Rubi or Sahara with hard top etc.
IDK if they differ. I know the Procomp 3" springs front and rear have a 175 in/lb spring rate. I also know that Savvy 3" springs have the same spring rate front and rear. So we can't assume that front and rear rates are always different. I worked with @KCsTJ installing his 2" Procomp springs, and if IIRC, they were 175 in/lbs front and rear.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I reached out to Rancho and they never responded which makes me mad. Maybe it rides like it should. My buddy has a tj with a rough country and I will see if it rides the same. When I cycle my suspension, I’m going to see if my shocks still do the thing where they stay compressed.

It's a good idea to drive someone else's Jeep. Of course, Rough Country is about as rough a ride as it gets, so if it's worse than his something is wrong, if it's better, some people just aren't made for Jeeps

I reached out to Rancho and they never responded which makes me mad. Maybe it rides like it should.
1) Exactly what model of Rancho shock are you running? 2) Exactly what size tires, what Load Range (C, D, or E) are they, and 3) exactly what air pressure is in them right now?

IDK if they differ. I know the Procomp 3" springs front and rear have a 175 in/lb spring rate. I also know that Savvy 3" springs have the same spring rate front and rear. So we can't assume that front and rear rates are always different. I worked with @KCsTJ installing his 2" Procomp springs, and if IIRC, they were 175 in/lbs front and rear.

Thanks, it really does depend on how the Jeep is used. Sometimes I haul two 200+ lb men in my backseat, and I have a hardtop, so a bit stiffer rear springs can't hurt me! Maybe I should have bought the OME HD's @ 216 lb/in, LOL. Only a 32 inch spare, stock carrier, and stock rear bumper though...at least I don't have to worry about any extra weight there!

1) Exactly what model of Rancho shock are you running? 2) Exactly what size tires, what Load Range (C, D, or E) are they, and 3) exactly what air pressure is in them right now?

He says he has 33x12.5r15 Cooper STT Pros @ 26psi in the OP.

Reactions: JMT